User Tag List

First 35434445464755 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Wiat are you suggesting what I think you are, a potential amred resistance of the people against the government?

You think that the guns you can buy in the shops are somehow a check on the most sophisticated military technology in the world should the US government need to wipe out a few armed militia nuts?

I wonder how many people inhabit that dream world?
    How many of our servicemen do you think will want to murder their neighbors?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Wiat are you suggesting what I think you are, a potential amred resistance of the people against the government?
    Yes.

You think that the guns you can buy in the shops are somehow a check on the most sophisticated military technology in the world should the US government need to wipe out a few armed militia nuts?
    It's worked against US/USSR the in the Middle East for decades. And the US has far fewer qualms about collateral damage in the Middle East.

What pilot is going to raise his hand to go on a strafing run through an American suburb?

I wonder how many people inhabit that dream world?
    With modern technology a citizenry that is armed with only assault rifles and pistols can't hope to overthrow a government. However, I think that such an armed citizenry denotes a certain amount of respect of the government for the power of its citizens. Also, I think even being armed in such a meager fashion will at least help prevent creeping oppression and make it less likely that political opposition will be quietly swept away by the government in the night.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

To clarify, I don't see any resistance, without massive popular support, overthrowing the US gov't, however I can certainly see the US unable to conclusively end a somewhat popular rebellion.

It would basically be a strategic victory through attrition.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't see that ever happening, but private ownership of firearms serving as a counterweight to the tendency toward oppression is greatly comforting.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Take the guns away.

Apparently what I said above is a controversial topic in the US.

When mentally disturbed or highly stressed and if one has direct access to firearms it is most likely that people are going to get hurt.

That kid wouldn't have killed a single person if he only had knife.
    Even if by some Jesus appearing on a taco miracle that All The Guns were collected... it doesn't prevent the Human Loophole Rule from taking effect. Guns are perhaps one of the more efficient methods of killing a bunch of people at the same time, but it doesn't mean if there is a will there isn't another way.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If you know where to get diesel fuel and fertilizer, you won't have too much trouble coming up with a more efficient alternative to guns.

To address school shootings, Obama said this:

"A majority of Americans support banning the sale of military-style assault weapons. A majority of Americans support banning the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips. A majority of Americans support laws requiring background checks before all gun purchases so that criminals can't take advantage of legal loopholes to buy a gun from somebody who won't take the responsibility of doing a background check at all," Obama said.

Did any of the school shooters have criminal backgrounds?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Even if by some Jesus appearing on a taco miracle that All The Guns were collected... it doesn't prevent the Human Loophole Rule from taking effect. Guns are perhaps one of the more efficient methods of killing a bunch of people at the same time, but it doesn't mean if there is a will there isn't another way.
    A less effective way. Ask the parents of the killed children whether they think it makes a difference how effective the killer is.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If you know where to get diesel fuel and fertilizer, you won't have too much trouble coming up with a more efficient alternative to guns.
    Black powder, which can be easily made by a trip to a hardware store and a grocery store. One pound of black powder fits into a container the side of a large mcdonalds cup(just for reference):