User Tag List

First 34424344454654 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I agree. We could, of course, try to make out different degrees of causality, but that should prove to be an impossible task with regards to his psychological condition, because we cannot simply subtract autism from Adam Lanza without losing Adam Lanza.
    I agree. But there needs to be some responsibility in the journalism- delineate when they're painting a picture of who he was, and when they're speculating on causality. A lot of the time it's just thrown in there without any context and people are left to draw the conclusion that it's the cause of his actions.

Riva

Take the guns away.

Apparently what I said above is a controversial topic in the US.

When mentally disturbed or highly stressed and if one has direct access to firearms it is most likely that people are going to get hurt.

That kid wouldn't have killed a single person if he only had knife.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Take the guns away.

When mentally disturbed or highly stressed and if one has direct access to firearms it is most likely that people are going to get hurt.

Agreed. Also, who's to say that a "mentally stable" person will remain that way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I agree. We could, of course, try to make out different degrees of causality, but that should prove to be an impossible task with regards to his psychological condition, because we cannot simply subtract autism from Adam Lanza without losing Adam Lanza.
    Another issue is that autism gets tossed out in the diagnostic phase in a lot of cases where what's actually going on might be something more akin to psychopathy/sociopathy. Especially in children, where it's much easier to give a diagnosis of autism to get that kid access to some services than it is to prove a diagnosis that is typically reserved for adults.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah I caught wind of that, here and there of people saying "If you want mags and ammo, buy em now!"

They can get away with that because a buyback attempt would just be laughed at.
    We're not "getting away" with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    The costs to human life outweigh the recreational benefits. Sadly, it's the same old story: the idiots ruin it for everybody.
    In your estimation. (which isn't to say that yours is not a valid opinion, but it's not the only one)

Also, I'm disturbed to see a picture painted of gun owners and especially AR owners as just one incident away from snapping.

We are just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Take the guns away.

How do you propose we take the guns away?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Agreed. Also, who's to say that a "mentally stable" person will remain that way?
    Who's to say a government that currently ensures liberty will not become oppressive and tyrannical especially if they alone have the ability and power to do violence?

I can tell you I'm more afraid of an unchecked unrestrained government than I am an unrestrained madman.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Who's to say a government that currently ensures liberty will not become oppressive and tyrannical especially if they alone have the ability and power to do violence?

I can tell you I'm more afraid of an unchecked unrestrained government than I am an unrestrained madman.
    Wiat are you suggesting what I think you are, a potential amred resistance of the people against the government?

You think that the guns you can buy in the shops are somehow a check on the most sophisticated military technology in the world should the US government need to wipe out a few armed militia nuts?

I wonder how many people inhabit that dream world?

Absolutely. History shows us that nearly all governments have the capacity and the will to murder, steal from, coerce and otherwise ruin the lives of it's citizens under the guise of securing safety, which they also happen to be terrible at in the case of mass murders and home invasions and random homicides. No single individual has come close to the horrible crimes perpetrated by rulers, democratically elected or not. School shootings are a terrible consequence of the failure of government to protect children at the expense of waging a war on drugs.

http://marketdailynews.com/2012/12/1...ond-amendment/

http://communities.washingtontimes.c...abolish-2nd-a/
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    xxTP

Wiat are you suggesting what I think you are, a potential amred resistance of the people against the government?

You think that the guns you can buy in the shops are somehow a check on the most sophisticated military technology in the world should the US government need to wipe out a few armed militia nuts?

I wonder how many people inhabit that dream world?