User Tag List

First 234561454 Last

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Agree, but as far as I'm concerned, once the facts of what happened are announced, there shouldn't be any media coverage of any of it - including the exposes/interviews of the survivors and victims' families.
    Sometimes stories of heroism and triumph come out of these tragedies. Why not honor the good?
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

There was a really moving post on an Esquire blog about the bigger picture surrounding the shooting. A quote:

Resist, then, the forces who tell you that the creation and maintenance of that commonwealth is too expensive or too complicated, or that it is an appeal to a time now lost to technology and modernity and the glories of free trade. Resist the frauds and mountebanks who seek to prosper from fragmentation and isolation, and who tell you that your "freedom" exists in a place outside of that creative process of self-government, and that, in fact, the institutions produced by that process are the enemies of that "freedom." Resist, as strongly as you can, the people who seek to profit by isolating you in your homes, and in your anger, and in your wounded sense of aggrieved entitlement, and with all your guns.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Sometimes stories of heroism and triumph come out of these tragedies. Why not honor the good?
    I suppose that's one positive slant/perspective; on the other hand, it just keeps the entire horror alive and is still 'showcasing' it, and all of its details, for all to see and immerse themselves in. I don't know if viewing the tragedies and nitty-gritty of all of it desensitizes those who could psychologically do something like this, just as much as glorifying the killer. I just don't know if the benefits/good outweighs the negative, regardless of where the focus is.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

it's a matter of perception.
    What makes this act so horrible? Relativity to other events? I think not, worst probably happen every few minutes around the globe.

Human decency/morals/meaningless violence ? People rarely act without a 'reason' or impulse, or justifying impulses by giving it a rational. Morals are relative though shaped by evolutionary (bio and cultural) drives.

Is it because you know about it that it's horrible then?
    How does your knowing about it modifies the fact ?

If you know all, would you have access to infinite happiness and sadness or would both just become meaningless?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    it's a matter of perception.
    What makes this act so horrible? Relativity to other events? I think not, worst probably happen every few minutes around the globe.

Human decency/morals/meaningless violence ? People rarely act without a 'reason' or impulse, or justifying impulses by giving it a rational. Morals are relative though shaped by evolutionary (bio and cultural) drives.

Is it because you know about it that it's horrible then?
    How does your knowing about it modifies the fact ?

If you know all, would you have access to infinite happiness and sadness or would both just become meaningless?
    Realizing that this stuff happens sends people into a panic mode. It puts their perspective of the world all out of whack. I'm actually surprised that the vultures aren't here yet circling the dead to push their agenda.

Over 100 children under the age of 13 are murdered in this country every year.

Over 1,000 children under the age of 18 are murdered in this country in a year.

Does it mean more when it is 20 all at once rather than one at a time, here and there?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I've actually found out through a non specific dramatic post by an istj on facebook.
    I guessed something cliche must have happened (by which I mean 'big media + bad + people saying its very very bad and meaningful) so I scrolled down a bit to see 'school shooting', by which time I just checked the number of casualties. It's an 'above average' act of violence, sure. but it's nothing exceptional , just above average and not statistically significant.

anyway, what did she say.. (fetches)
    "What is the world coming to, soooo sad!"

to which I answered :
    ?
    oh. the shooting. Violence has actually steadily decreased over the last centuries. The world isn't coming to anything, it's just a common misconception repeated by pretty much every generation in history.

Im guessing my answer will be perceived as cold and horrible. and such. mh.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I'm actually surprised that the vultures aren't here yet circling the dead to push their agenda.
    Oh, trust me. They are.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I see this all tied into the cultural milleau which celebrates Ayn Rand, pop-Neitzsche philosophising and just doing whatever you damn feel like, when you damn feel like it, regardless of the consequences for your self and just as importantly, or even more importantly, totally innocent others and calls it freedom.

Although there's eruptions of all kinds of violence all over the world lately, its good to read that statistically its meant to be declining because based purely upon media attention and day to day experience I wouldnt think so.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Realizing that this stuff happens sends people into a panic mode. It puts their perspective of the world all out of whack. I'm actually surprised that the vultures aren't here yet circling the dead to push their agenda.

Over 100 children under the age of 13 are murdered in this country every year.

Over 1,000 children under the age of 18 are murdered in this country in a year.

Does it mean more when it is 20 all at once rather than one at a time, here and there?
    It's an 'above average' act of violence, sure. but it's nothing exceptional , just above average and not statistically significant.
    Hadnt seen your post, but yeah we agree. I just used the word statistics instead, I like statistics.

... In theory.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I've actually found out through a non specific dramatic post by an istj on facebook.
    I guessed something cliche must have happened (by which I mean 'big media + bad + people saying its very very bad and meaningful) so I scrolled down a bit to see 'school shooting', by which time I just checked the number of casualties. It's an 'above average' act of violence, sure. but it's nothing exceptional , just above average and not statistically significant.

anyway, what did she say.. (fetches)
    "What is the world coming to, soooo sad!"

to which I answered :
    ?
    oh. the shooting. Violence has actually steadily decreased over the last centuries. The world isn't coming to anything, it's just a common misconception repeated by pretty much every generation in history.

Im guessing my answer will be perceived as cold and horrible. and such. mh.
    I found out through facebook too, two posts by irish people, one post by an american.