User Tag List

First 27353637383947 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Or gazebos. We have to be wary of the gazebo, it is a dangerous beastie.
    Those fucking gazebos deserve it.

I don't care what they've told you!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Granted we're not perfect but it's better than having a system awash with guns. Almost all of the gun deaths I've heard of in the last few years are idiot hunters who don't follow basic guidelines and shoot people they mistake for deer. Actually, I just looked up our gun death per capita rate and 80% of the deaths are suicides. That's cheerful...
    SK, banning guns would simply change how people get them. If they want a gun, they'll get it. It's not difficult. And if 80% of deaths are suicides, then I'm at a loss for what you're going on about. Or do you want to take the right away for people to end their own life, too? I think people have a right to blow their own head off. It's their life. Not mine.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I do feel though - and this might just be a sort of emotional gut feeling, but I feel that these sorts of "assault weapons" tend to provide these sorts of heartless lunatics with "inspiration". Especially when they died with guns blazing and strapped with ammo and wearing a military bullet-proof vest. I just wonder if the appeal of this terrible fantasy would be as great with a less...military-looking weapon. I've already mentioned, which seems to be documented, that it is mostly this type of weapon used in such massacres, though other guns might "do the job" similarly.
    I think the most unsettling aspect of shootings in general, and the one at Sandy Hooks in particular, is that we don't know what prompted it. And therefore we don't really know how to prevent it. There are tons of Americans (even some dealing with mental illness) who are regularly exposed to depictions of violence, and who might even have access to automatic weapons who manage not to go around massacring first graders.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that the issue being made of gun control is more about the need for closure than the need for effective solutions to this issue. I think @Victor might be on point in his comment about this being a cultural issue. Gun violence is an effect of a whole mess of factors that legislation alone can't correct. To take an example from the Slate article that I posted earlier, the horrific labor violence that afflicted the country at the turn of the century didn't improve until legislation backed by political will and public support made it possible.

My point is that guns are always going to be around in the States. What's gotta be corrected is this idea that mass shootings is an acceptable form of expression of despair or frustration or contempt or alienation or whatever, or this is only going to continue to happen. Doing more to address the emotional needs of young people, mentally ill or otherwise, creating productive alternatives and outlets for them, and simply dignifying their problems rather than dismissing them would definitely be a start.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I guess the NRA and gun-nuts in general are ok with the collateral damage of mass murder, just as long as they don't have to have to think about their responsibilities in a more nuanced fashion. Rights come at a price, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I guess the NRA and gun-nuts in general are ok with the collateral damage of mass murder, just as long as they don't have to have to think about their responsibilities in a more nuanced fashion. Rights come at a price, right?
    More one-liners. How about proposing a solution to the problem? I'm open to suggestions.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    More one-liners. How about proposing a solution to the problem? I'm open to suggestions.
    You're open to suggestions? Why don't you just obfuscate ('we won't make any comments until we have the facts' - J Boener) until more time has passed, then go back to your guns as if nothing happened. That's what will happen this time, as it always has. That's the strategy of the NRA and it's acolytes.

I think I'll start a thread entitled: Another drunk driver kills...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    You're open to suggestions? Why don't you just obfuscate ('we won't make any comments until we have the facts' - J Boener) until more time has passed, then go back to your guns as if nothing happened. That's what will happen this time, as it always has. That's the strategy of the NRA and it's acolytes.
    I don't care about NRA strategies, I'm not in the NRA and I don't own semi-automatic rifles and I don't care what Boener says because i'm not a Republican.

There are obviously problems that require effective solutions. Is your second post a statement that you do not have a solution? If not, what is your solution?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    You are arguing that assault rifles have a legitimate purpose in the hands of ordinary citizens. I'm arguing that they don't.
    How do you define assault rifles?

Four of my nieces and nephews live in a neighborhood in Alaska that regularly experiences incursions of bears from the nearby wilderness....I'm not the least bit interested in giving those bears a 'sporting' chance-I want my sister (not a marksman) to have reasonable capacity to kill them.

As for handguns, they are the most practical gun to use for self-defense, both in the home and, especially, outside of the home (a rifle can't exactly fit in a woman's purse). And a technical 'semi-automatic' capability is crucial for the self-defense of people who aren't marksman or are facing multiple threats-they're not going to have time to cock the gun each time they need to fire the weapon.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    How do you define assault rifles?
    they're not going to have time to cock the gun each time they need to fire the weapon.
    Neither will the guy shooting at them.