User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...216-2bhgl.html

It seems to me though that in aggregate you guys have decided to accept the risk. Guns are yours now. Noting that seems more important than saying "guns are tools" or some such other misdirection. As an argument, "guns are tools" suggests that other nations might like to accept the risk too, but choices about risk and how to handle it are choices, not objective parts of a landscape you can't change..
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    As you may have noticed from my profile, I am somewhat of a firearms nerd. If you are really interested in guns and gun laws, I'd be happy to talk to you about that stuff at length.

And now for some words from one of my favorite bloggers. He's an American cop and a veteran, so his life and mindset are dramatically different than yours. I don't agree with him 100% of the time. That said, I think he makes some good points.

http://officersmith.blogspot.com/201...ere-gonna.html

I'm fine with that. I certainly wouldn't want to force someone who is not comfortable with weapons to carry one.

Very true. Just look at the origins of modern Canada and modern America. A lot of people here were sick of British rule and enough of them were willing to fight and die for America to gain independence. Canada was a different story.

I really appreciate your open-mindedness.
    I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I haven't looked up much information on this but does anyone know if he deliberately targeted his mother's students? Or was it more random?
    Some stuff about the family:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/15/us/con...ile/index.html

Here is one excerpt:
    Neighbor Gina McDade said Nancy Lanza was a "stay-at-home mom" and not a teacher or part-time employee of Sandy Hook Elementary, as some media reports stated.
    Nancy Lanza had earlier worked in finance in Boston and Connecticut, said a friend who knew her well but who didn't want her name published. Nancy Lanza had retired or was on a break from her career, but she was not a teacher, the friend said.
    So it's still very unclear what the connection was with Sandy Hook, aside from the fact I think it was only two miles from his home and it was a school -- and he might have had some issues with staying at home with his mom for schooling. I just don't really know.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    we are big on individualism and individual liberty. That's like an ingrained core ideal.
    Western Civilization is base on two values: freedom and equality.

And the USA shouts freedom to drown out the voice of equality.

The USA claims to lead the West but this is special pleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...216-2bhgl.html

It seems to me though that in aggregate you guys have decided to accept the risk. Guns are yours now. Noting that seems more important than saying "guns are tools" or some such other misdirection. As an argument, "guns are tools" suggests that other nations might like to accept the risk too, but choices about risk and how to handle it are choices, not objective parts of a landscape you can't change..
    Yes, the slogan, "guns are tools", is rather dull propaganda. It has been repeated ad nauseum, "manuscripts are tools", we were told; "book are merely tools", they repeated, "the electric telegraph is a tool", they told us; "the telephone, TV and the internet are tools, it depends on how we use them", we are told.

Of course we are not told, "we make tools and tools make us".

And when we make a killing tool like an assault rifle, our assault rifle makes us killers.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

The USA claims to lead the West but this is simple special pleading.
    FREEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMM!

Eh what did you say, Victor? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my awesome.

Edit: and notice the difference between you and other detractors in the thread. What's different?

They are actually coherent. That's what.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    This is why we say that people kill people. Because it is true. Take Australia for example - Australia still has some three million privately owned firearms, and about 700,000 of those are handguns. The firearm homicide rate has nearly vanished - I think it's somewhere around 0.14 per capita. If guns kill people, why is this not a different number? If guns kill people, why leave it at three million?

Because guns don't kill people. People do. Lots of loose guns make it easier for people to kill people, yes. But that doesn't change the core principle.
    I think to raise some much-needed cash, the US military should start selling off its military hardware and nuclear weapons to the highest bidder. After all, "Nukes don't kill people, people kill people"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I think to raise some much-needed cash, the US military should start selling off its military hardware and nuclear weapons to the highest bidder. After all, "Nukes don't kill people, people kill people"
    The military does sell off its old hardware.

When's the last time a nuke killed somebody, by the way?

In fact, a lot of stuff that was used in Iraq was just handed over to them for free because they couldn't be bothered to haul it all back. To the tune of billions of dollars.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

The USA claims to lead the West but this is simple special pleading.
    There is no equality. Sports teams don't become great at their given sport by placing a random smattering of the population on a team. Mick Doohan would probably make for a pretty bad equestrian player. Shaquille O'neil wouldn't be very good jockey.

Since you love America I would imagine you understand that America, unlike most other countries, is predominantly rooted in individualism.

In an office recently, I noticed a very nice office chair and mentioned that it was designed by a friend of mine. A Russian man heard that and proceeded with asking me, "So what's so significant about the chair?" as if perplexed. I was a bit surprised so I repeated to him '..Because it was designed by a friend of mine."
    Then I realized that man grew up 5 decades ago in a country that tried to teach everyone to do everything for the state. He's still brainwashed like that. It's pretty sick. I wouldn't know where his conscience is. I don't think he knew either.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There is no equality.
    Western Civilization began in Ancient Greece. And the Ancient Greeks gave us two values: freedom and equality.

To the heritage from Ancient Greece we added Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment. And the Enlightenment in particular rejuvenated our basic values of freedom and equality.

To the extent the USA denies half of the values of the West, is the extent the USA betrays the West.