User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 623

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    What the Hell!? 11 dang people viewing this thread!?

    It goes to show how people blow up over the stupidest crap in the news.

    Why don't you folks actually go focus on something that's worth your time and attention. Just my advice.

  2. #192
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    What the Hell!? 11 dang people viewing this thread!?

    It goes to show how people blow up over the stupidest crap in the news.

    Why don't you folks actually go focus on something that's worth your time and attention. Just my advice.
    Ah, RaptorWizard. I see you're just as careful about what you say as always.
    ...

  3. #193
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    It sounds more like he was a deeply disturbed kid who people recognized needed mental help, and he never got it. He had serious health problems, like a nervous system disorder that made it impossible for him to feel pain. Those kind of people can't even take a shower without someone checking the water temperature for them - because they can't feel whether it will scald them. His parents were going through a divorce. All the interviews about him are saying 'I'm not surprised', 'He's been disturbed since he was 5', etc. People knew he hated his parents and was depressed.

    James Holmes of the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting was the same way. When his mother was contacted about the fact that her son was suspected as the killer, she responded 'You've got the right person.' She KNEW her son was disturbed and so did everyone else who was in contact with him.

    Every time this happens, people raise the pitchforks and shout 'guns guns guns'. While I'm not opposed to revising gun control laws, why is it that the focus can't be on mental health care, too? Making access to mental health professionals easier, and trying to get rid of this stigma associated with mental health issues.

    I know in light of this tragedy, people want to be angry and demonize the killer. And I know it's hard to try to paint them with the victim brush, too. But I see a bunch of people who knew this kid needed help and he never got it.

    I don't know, Patches. I'm feeling like he was a sociopath, rather than someone who did this because he needed help.

  4. #194
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I don't know, Patches. I'm feeling like he was a sociopath, rather than someone who did this because he needed help.
    It doesn't necessary have to be one or the other. Issues + nature + environment + stressor = castastrophe. He clearly needed help regardless of being a "sociopath" unless we believe that he was bound to do this no matter what.

  5. #195
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    It is classified as an assault weapon. It's not an assault rifle though. There's a difference. Also, the classification of some rifles as assault weapons is based on a few criteria that most modern rifles meet. Take a stripped down semi-automatic hunting rifle, put a scope on it, a folding stock and add a banana clip and Voila!, you have an assault weapon.

    Just as a side note, in case you're calling for another assault weapon ban. The assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 didn't actually lower gun violence because congress forgot to research which weapons were popular with criminals. Handguns are used in an overwhelming majority of crime involving firearms. Cheap semi-auto pistols and cheap, plentiful revolvers are most likely to be used because they're small, concealable, easy to hide, cheap and effective at close range. I'd support a ban on semi-auto pistols before another ban on "assault" weapons. No reason to ban something that's not causing problems.
    All of this is interesting, but I have to say, it still doesn't answer my question about why people "need" an assault weapon like the one that was used for this massacre. And given that apparently very similar weapons have been used in similar attacks, it does seem like a problem...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  6. #196
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    All of this is interesting, but I have to say, it still doesn't answer my question about why people "need" an assault weapon like the one that was used for this massacre. And given that apparently very similar weapons have been used in similar attacks, it does seem like a problem...
    Well... overall, "assault weapons" aren't really the biggest problem. They are just used more frequently in the most high profile attacks, and the ones which receive the media outrage. You'd save more lives banning handguns than assault weapons, but the fact of the matter is, there are more people with your perspective of "why would you need it?" so they are easier to restrict.
    ...

  7. #197
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    All of this is interesting, but I have to say, it still doesn't answer my question about why people "need" an assault weapon like the one that was used for this massacre. And given that apparently very similar weapons have been used in similar attacks, it does seem like a problem...
    I don't think people "need" an assault weapon, since most rifles are so easily converted to "assault weapon" status(just in case you really did need an assault rifle). But, Patches mentioned one reason: the 2nd Amendment. Guns can be necessary to prevent a government from becoming tyrannical. It's not as effective a deterrent as it once was, there are ways for an unarmed populace to prevent it and there are other ways to improve deterrence against that threat that don't include guns. Another reason someone might want one is for hunting, for sport, for self-defense. Lots of reasons.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  8. #198
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Well... overall, "assault weapons" aren't really the biggest problem. They are just used more frequently in the most high profile attacks, and the ones which receive the media outrage. You'd save more lives banning handguns than assault weapons, but the fact of the matter is, there are more people with your perspective of "why would you need it?" so they are easier to restrict.
    Yeah, I do see what you mean. Although it still doesn't really answer my question...

    The mentality that people need to be able to defend themselves with weapons, even to have major arsenals in some cases, does seem to be very ingrained in the American psyche. I do wonder why, so much more so than other parts of the world. I mean, people have concerns about safety, protecting themselves and their families, possibly not trusting the government, etc, all over the world. In most other countries this doesn't seem to translate into a desire to collect or even stockpile weapons - especially weapons that might look more appropriate on a battlefield.

    There is a lot of rhetoric around a hideous event like this, some of which says that it's all about mental health and nothing to do with guns. Of course it has a great deal to do with mental health issues, but such issues exist everywhere in the world too and nowhere is there the rate of gun homicides (or incidents of this sort) that there is in the US.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I don't know, Patches. I'm feeling like he was a sociopath, rather than someone who did this because he needed help.
    Well sociopaths may be people who need help, I think they're made rather than born.

    Still it reminded me of a statistic about how there are so many active or operating serial killers in the US at any one time in contrast Europe has something approaching zilch, there's got to be some sort of sociological and psychological explanation for that.

  10. #200
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    It doesn't necessary have to be one or the other. Issues + nature + environment + stressor = castastrophe. He clearly needed help regardless of being a "sociopath" unless we believe that he was bound to do this no matter what.
    It seemed calculated.

    I'm sorry, but I just don't feel any pity for this dude. He went from classroom to classroom killing children from 5-10 years old, then killed himself once the police arrived.

Similar Threads

  1. Yet Another Shooting
    By MacGuffin in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
  2. Another shooting, seven dead
    By MacGuffin in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
  3. Yet ANOTHER police shooting on New Years eve
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
  4. Another INTJ, woohoo!
    By Metamorphosis in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM
  5. Another Forum?
    By "?" in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO