User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    He had 2 9mms and a .223 rifle. All the reports I heard said that he left the rifle behind for some reason or something and just used the 9mms.
    The latest information is that he used a Bushmaster AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. He had two handguns with him and shot himself with one of them. THere was also a shotgun in the car.

If that AR-15 thing isn't an "assault weapon" I don't know what is...from having looked at some photos...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I thought he used some kind of massive rifle, but in general, wasn't he using weapons that can fire many many rounds without reloading?

The latest news is that he had hundreds of rounds of ammunition with him and didn't get to use most of it.
    That's typically how it goes. The man was obviously ill and did not understand.

Even if you have hundreds of rounds, guns are not made to even fire that many without stopping for maintenance at some point. They get hot, stressed, and carbon builds up. More delicate weapons will break and even assault rifles get hot and start to malfunction if you keep putting rounds through it. Even the oil dries up and it can stop cycling. Some can even catch on fire.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

The latest information is that he used a Bushmaster AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. He had two handguns with him and shot himself with one of them. THere was also a shotgun in the car.

If that AR-15 thing isn't an "assault weapon" I don't know what is...from having looked at some photos...
    Huh, I had heard he just used the handguns.

Be careful about the term "assault weapon" it hardly means anything anymore. Some people use it to describe all semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines, some use it to describe anything that looks like an assault rifle, others have other definitions.

Why do you think that the ar-15 is any different than say... a ruger mini-14 or something, or would you consider that an assault weapon as well?

The way I see it is there was a coward with a gun who went after a bunch of kids. Do you think there would have been a major difference if he did it with a rifle or with just pistols? We're talking close range here, inside a building.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I still don't understand why someone "needs" an assault rifle of the type which his mother owned and which he used on these kids and teachers.

I understand (well I don't really, but I can try to) that many Americans feel they want to be able to defend themselves and so on. But why would you need a weapon like that to defend yourself?

EDIT: If this is to do with people feeling they should be allowed to exercise their constitutional rights, isn't there a lot of evidence at this point that those rights are infringing on the safety and well-being of others?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

I still don't understand why someone "needs" an assault rifle of the type which his mother owned and which he used on these kids and teachers.

I understand (well I don't really, but I can try to) that many Americans feel they want to be able to defend themselves and so on. But why would you need a weapon like that to defend yourself?

EDIT: If this is to do with people feeling they should be allowed to exercise their constitutional rights, isn't there a lot of evidence at this point that those rights are infringing on the safety and well-being of others?
    Because its a close approximation to that which the authorities have or which they suspect organised criminals will possess.

Personally I agree with the message from Morgan Freeman which is circulating on Facebook which suggests the focus needs to change, the media shouldnt be sensationalising killing and atrocity, the names of the killers are remembered not the victims and that then stokes the mentally sick individuals likely to want to commit a greater atrocity next time, the focus should be mental health rather than gun control.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I thought he used some kind of massive rifle, but in general, wasn't he using weapons that can fire many many rounds without reloading?

The latest news is that he had hundreds of rounds of ammunition with him and didn't get to use most of it.
    One of the weapons was an assault rifle, yes. 2 handguns and an assault rifle.

I just don't understand why people want or "need" assault weapons of the kind that were used in this massacre. It is a mentality that is utterly foreign to me.
    Let me preface this by saying that these aren't my personal beliefs, I just know the 'standard' gun ownership reasons because I have a lot of family who own and collect guns.

Firstly, for recreation is a common reason. Both the act of collecting and using them for recreation. I think it's hard to argue in favor of assault rifles here. Seems to me this mostly applies to hunting rifles.

Secondly, 'for self defense' will probably be the most common justification. The obvious response being "Why do you need an assault rifle for self defense? Is a hand gun not sufficient?" to which the justification tends to be, "When assault rifles are banned, criminals will still have the means to illegally obtain assault rifles" - putting the criminals at an advantage. My grandfather has a National Rifle Association bumper sticker which says "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" implying that decent citizens won't have the means to protect themselves.

One of the other major reasons is closely tied to our history and the 2nd amendment - That the purpose of the 2nd amendment is so that individuals may resist against government tyranny, essentially. It IS true that the 2nd amendment was written with that as the intention. Which is where you hit the divide in logic. Those against will argue that it's an antiquated idea and we're no longer in a day and age where people are going to or need to grab their guns and form a militia. The ones in favor will argue that unarmed citizens can still easily be oppressed by their government.

There's your crash-course in gun-owner reasoning. 'MURICA.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Because its a close approximation to that which the authorities have or which they suspect organised criminals will possess.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that people want to have a weapon of equal power to what the authorities or criminals have?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that people want to have a weapon of equal power to what the authorities or criminals have?
    Yes they want to have the same or better fire power than the authorities, they also know that this is what criminals are thinking and that the criminals have probably acted on that thinking already.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    One of the weapons was an assault rifle, yes. 2 handguns and an assault rifle.

Let me preface this by saying that these aren't my personal beliefs, I just know the 'standard' gun ownership reasons because I have a lot of family who own and collect guns.

Firstly, for recreation is a common reason. Both the act of collecting and using them for recreation. I think it's hard to argue in favor of assault rifles here. Seems to me this mostly applies to hunting rifles.

Secondly, 'for self defense' will probably be the most common justification. The obvious response being "Why do you need an assault rifle for self defense? Is a hand gun not sufficient?" to which the justification tends to be, "When assault rifles are banned, criminals will still have the means to illegally obtain assault rifles" - putting the criminals at an advantage. My grandfather has a National Rifle Association bumper sticker which says "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" implying that decent citizens won't have the means to protect themselves.

One of the other major reasons is closely tied to our history and the 2nd amendment - That the purpose of the 2nd amendment is so that individuals may resist against government tyranny, essentially. It IS true that the 2nd amendment was written with that as the intention. Which is where you hit the divide in logic. Those against will argue that it's an antiquated idea and we're no longer in a day and age where people are going to or need to grab their guns and form a militia. The ones in favor will argue that unarmed citizens can still easily be oppressed by their government.

There's your crash-course in gun-owner reasoning. 'MURICA.
    You forgot to mention that semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15 are far more fun to shoot at the range than most hunting rifles. /opinion

Nice synopsis of most people's reasoning, though.

----------------------------------

I just don't understand why people want or "need" assault weapons of the kind that were used in this massacre. It is a mentality that is utterly foreign to me.
    It is classified as an assault weapon. It's not an assault rifle though. There's a difference. Also, the classification of some rifles as assault weapons is based on a few criteria that most modern rifles meet. Take a stripped down semi-automatic hunting rifle, put a scope on it, a folding stock and add a banana clip and Voila!, you have an assault weapon.

Just as a side note, in case you're calling for another assault weapon ban. The assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 didn't actually lower gun violence because congress forgot to research which weapons were popular with criminals. Handguns are used in an overwhelming majority of crime involving firearms. Cheap semi-auto pistols and cheap, plentiful revolvers are most likely to be used because they're small, concealable, easy to hide, cheap and effective at close range. I'd support a ban on semi-auto pistols before another ban on "assault" weapons. No reason to ban something that's not causing problems.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”