User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    It's okay to be idealistic, but you should understand why banning guns wouldn't work here.
    Yea I know the background. It has become an illness so deeply rooted, you cant wipe it out over night.
    I wouldnt ban weapons completly, just have some ridicously hard test for people to make a license to have the right to own one. If you are living near the wilderness having a gun aint too bad. But when I heard in the news that in the city where the shooting happened alone there were 8 weapon clubs, I mean thats crazy. There's a hunters club in my town as well, but its only a handful of people who are intrested in such things.

Dunno, its very alien to me. I have to get used to it.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Yea I know the background. It has become an illness so deeply rooted, you cant wipe it out over night.
    I wouldnt ban weapons completly, just have some ridicously hard test for people to make a license to have the right to own one. If you are living near the wilderness having a gun aint too bad. But when I heard in the news that in the city where the shooting happened alone there were 8 weapon clubs, I mean thats crazy. There's a hunters club in my town as well, but its only a handful of people who are intrested in such things.

Dunno, its very alien to me. I have to get used to it.
    Define 'ridiculously hard test'. Something ridiculously hard to you may not be that hard to other people.

If it's unreasonable then there is no point in allowing it at all. It would be like saying "Oh, sure you can have this. No problem! But you must accomplish this impossible task first."

It doesn't necessarily need to be ridiculously hard. It just needs to suit those who are suitable.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Why is it so important to so many Americans to be able to have guns without restrictions?

I'm not asking this question to be a jerk. I really would just like to know because I don't understand it. (I'm a Canadian who has been living in Europe for many years, if you wonder about background.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Why is it so important to so many Americans to be able to have guns without restrictions?
    Well, to step back a moment, we're a country that rebelled against our motherland and fought a bloody revolutionary war. I've been part of discussions at times that questions whether the nature of our country today would be very different if we had handled our revolution differently.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not asking this question to be a jerk. I really would just like to know because I don't understand it. (I'm a Canadian who has been living in Europe for many years, if you wonder about background.)
    I don't know. I don't think it is that important to most. The gun safety checklist is pretty long and the restricted gun list is pretty long, too.

Some rifles and shotguns can be purchased without permit and can be sold between individuals. For handguns you have to get a purchase permit from the police, specifically for the gun you are buying. This permit must be used within a specified time or it becomes invalid. You have to pass a safety test, and can't have any felonies, PPO's, stalking, or anything like that, and can't be legally insane. Once the handgun is purchased, the gun and the purchase permit must be taken back to the police within 10 days, where it will be inspected and you'll be issued a separate safety registration, a copy of which is held on file (for six years where I live)

That has to be done for every handgun, unless you have a concealed carry permit (which is much harder to get and requires classes and taking of fingerprints)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I just don't understand why people want or "need" assault weapons of the kind that were used in this massacre. It is a mentality that is utterly foreign to me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I just don't understand why people want or "need" assault weapons of the kind that were used in this massacre. It is a mentality that is utterly foreign to me.
    ...By assault weapons you mean 9mm handguns?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    ...By assault weapons you mean 9mm handguns?
    I thought he used some kind of massive rifle, but in general, wasn't he using weapons that can fire many many rounds without reloading?

The latest news is that he had hundreds of rounds of ammunition with him and didn't get to use most of it.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I thought he used some kind of massive rifle, but in general, wasn't he using weapons that can fire many many rounds without reloading?

The latest news is that he had hundreds of rounds of ammunition with him and didn't get to use most of it.
    He had 2 9mms and a .223 rifle. All the reports I heard said that he left the rifle behind for some reason or something and just used the 9mms.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh, for F's sake...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...182416799.html

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass on Sunday due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening to "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.

Heavily-armed patrolmen and SWAT team members surrounded the church with weapons drawn....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft