User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm saying that social media is public information. The exchange posted earlier was from Twitter, for chrissakes. It's not like the reporter used subterfuge to weasel their way into someone's private conversation or FB page to get the story. It's a perfectly sensible strategy to scan for possible untold stories on fora where people might be attempting to tell them themselves. That guy's response was hypocritical and unnecessary.
    Subterfuge might even be more of a sensible strategy and might even produce more accurate and interesting results if the person being interviewed doesn't know they are talking to a reporter.

As for the response, it merely signifies that the potential interviewee has declined the offer to initiate a private conversation.

End result: it just doesn't click with you, so it is not going to.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Subterfuge might even be more of a sensible strategy and might even produce more accurate and interesting results if the person being interviewed doesn't know they are talking to a reporter.

As for the response, it merely signifies that the potential interviewee has declined the offer to initiate a private conversation.

End result: it just doesn't click with you, so it is not going to.
    This is just an unwillingness to examine your own emotional reaction. At least I attempted to articulate mine.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ

This is just an unwillingness to examine your own emotional reaction.
    I wasn't aware that this was the goal. Have I made an error in interpreting what was expected of me? I assure you it was not from an unwillingness to comply with the unknown goal.
    At least I attempted to articulate mine.
    I did not see that you did such. Have I made an error interpreting what it was that you were attempting to express by saying that you did not see why something was heinous?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There are no rules as such other than the legal ones regarding trespassing and illegally obtaining information. The press is free and we are free to complain about them. It's something that people have to feel out.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should do that thing.

I think people should know where meat comes from and that it is something that was alive and has died. Not even out of some moral imperative about eating animals, but just for awareness and having a real world connection to how things actually work.
    This pretty much mirrors my thinking on both topics, I'm just framing the issues. When we're ignorant of what's happening, then we're not in a position to choose accordingly; at the very least, we need to be educated about the choices we are making.

Yeah. That's what I said pretty much.

More of a liability for security purposes = more guns are harder to keep track of and easier for the wrong person to get hold of.
    I guess I couldn't follow the way it was stated before, so thanks for clarifying. All is well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I wasn't aware that this was the goal. Have I made an error in interpreting what was expected of me? I assure you it was not from an unwillingness to comply with the unknown goal.

I did not see that you did such. Have I made an error interpreting what it was that you were attempting to express by saying that you did not see why something was heinous?
    Ugh. You're the one who is insisting that this is a discussion that's beyond reason (all your talk about "clicking" and "if you don't feel it, then you'll never understand.") So, I figured if that's the case, then you could at least articulate WHY you FEEL that tweeting someone to ask them if they'd like to participate in a news story (because they tweeted about it) is as repugnant as you're making it out to be. I articulated my feelings of indifference.

Of course, this is all just an attempt to actually get you to say something more substantive than "I could give you, like, 1000 reasons why I don't think murder is heinous, so...you have, like, no point, and I don't have to say anything about my own opinion because morality is relative and stuff." You're evading discussion by couching your opinion in the realm of "impenetrable moral intuition."

MBTI
    INFJ

Ugh. You're the one who is insisting that this is a discussion that's beyond reason (all your talk about "clicking" and "if you don't feel it, then you'll never understand.) So, I figured if that's the case, then you could at least articulate WHY you FEEL that tweeting someone to ask them if they'd like to participate in a news story is as repugnant as you're making it out to be. I articulated my feelings of indifference.

Of course, this is all just an attempt to actually get you to say something more substantive than "I could give you, like, 1000 reasons why I don't think murder is heinous, so...you have, like, no point, and I don't have to say anything about my own opinion because morality is relative and stuff."
    It doesn't make sense in a way that one articulates in this manner.

Your request is, unfortunately, impossible.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It doesn't make sense in a way that one articulates in this manner.
    I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty parsing this sentence. Too many nested prepositions and indefinite articles.

Your request is, unfortunately, impossible.
    Okay, will someone else who agrees with @sprinkles please attempt to articulate why the twitter thing was a good example of the media behaving badly?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Posting this to stimulate more conversation, I'm still thinking about it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/op...this.html?_r=0

Okay, will someone else who agrees with @sprinkles please attempt to articulate why the twitter thing was a good example of the media behaving badly?
    Because from a social/relational POV, it's pretty shitty for someone to go on Twitter trying to find someone who knows of their missing neighbor/child's whereabouts, and get jumped by a newsperson asking if they can interview said neighbor they can't even contact at the moment. I mean, the person doesn't even know if their friend's kid is still alive, and this woman is butting in and asking for an interview -- the reporter doesn't even know if that family was involved or if the kid is dead.

I'd have told them to fuck off too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty parsing this sentence. Too many nested prepositions and indefinite articles.
    Translation: feelings defy reason.

Any explanation will not be sufficient. It will at most have the illusion of being sufficient. Others are welcome to try of course, but I think I can already see the outcome.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Because from a social/relational POV, it's pretty shitty for someone to go on Twitter trying to find someone who knows of their missing neighbor/child's whereabouts, and get jumped by a newsperson asking if they can interview said neighbor they can't even contact at the moment. I mean, the person doesn't even know if their friend's kid is still alive, and this woman is butting in and asking for an interview -- the reporter doesn't even know if that family was involved or if the kid is dead.

I'd have told them to fuck off too.
    I guess I can see that, though you'd think that would be more annoying than outrageous and/or morally repugnant (and "jumped" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think, considering that it's twitter?) It was stupid of her to ask...the possibilities were too remote for her to succeed, and she was burdening him with her request. But what about the others, where the relationship between the reporter and the desired interview subject are not several degrees removed?