MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Hm. I'm a little ambivalent about that.

Sure, first thought might tend to be that more firepower is more dangerous. Why does she need all those guns anyway?

But yet, more guns do not bring more lethality. Increased lethality pretty much halts around one - at most two guns. You really only effectively use one at a time and might have one as a backup, aside from those who think that pistols akimbo is actually a thing that people do.

So really, five guns, or a hundred guns, is more of a liability for security purposes. They aren't significantly more deadly after two for somebody that has two hands.
    Well, my concern mostly was, that after a certain amount of guns, it's a matter of keeping them locked down even while being accessible. The more guns you have, the more guns you simply have to keep under control in terms of who can access them and when. Especially if a group (rather than an individual) gets into the cache.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Ah, yeah that makes sense. I think a large part of that behavior is driven by the competitive industry.
    Yeah. It's always been like that. I mean it's a pretty big cliche that depicts the media hounds relentlessly pursuing inappropriately trying to get their story. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

But going after people's posts online at random is just over the top desperate.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, my concern mostly was, that after a certain amount of guns, it's a matter of keeping them locked down even while being accessible. The more guns you have, the more guns you simply have to keep under control in terms of who can access them and when. Especially if a group (rather than an individual) gets into the cache.
    Yeah. That's what I said pretty much.

More of a liability for security purposes = more guns are harder to keep track of and easier for the wrong person to get hold of.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Honestly, though, why wag fingers at these people? They're just doing their job...one that we condone in a larger sense by consuming the stories that get generated as a result of their work.
    Yeah, I can see both sides of it. The function is a necessary one IMO, and they make their living off of their work like anyone else, and in the US the news companies are commercial (rather than state-run) agencies and we prefer it that way, but then we bitch about how they carry out the work, which is driven by the need to make sales and attract the largest readerships. Because when the tragedy is our own or one we can empathize with, then we want the news staff to stay out of our faces.

I'm not sure what the rules are. For everyone arguing some amount of restraint "out of human decency," there's another news company that is able to find a participant who is totally fine about talking to them and selling their story for exposure.What are the rules, exactly, and what bearing do rules have when only some of the people (both newscasters and interviewees) actually follow them?

It's kind of like the people who get put off of eating meat after seeing a cow slaughtered. You just want to say, "well, dippy, how the fuck did you think it happened?"
    My kids, naturally, thought that meat came from a supermarket. My eldest was about 5-6 when he realized that meat used to be living creatures, and then he had a momentary hard time with it.

Yeah. It's always been like that. I mean it's a pretty big cliche that depicts the media hounds relentlessly pursuing inappropriately trying to get their story. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

Well, that did seem a bit horrible. I mean, twitter? Wow. That's the kind of response that would then put Nadine in a position to determine whether she is cut out for this business or not... she can expect many more retorts like that one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

^^Ha, children don't count.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Remember, just because I have an avatar of Santa with a murder weapon doesn't mean I did anything myself.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I can see both sides of it. The function is a necessary one IMO, and they make their living off of their work like anyone else, and in the US the news companies are commercial (rather than state-run) agencies and we prefer it that way, but then we bitch about how they carry out the work, which is driven by the need to make sales and attract the largest readerships. Because when the tragedy is our own or one we can empathize with, then we want the news staff to stay out of our faces.

I'm not sure what the rules are. For everyone arguing some amount of restraint "out of human decency," there's another news company that is able to find a participant who is totally fine about talking to them and selling their story for exposure.What are the rules, exactly, and what bearing do rules have when only some of the people (both newscasters and interviewees) actually follow them?
    There are no rules as such other than the legal ones regarding trespassing and illegally obtaining information. The press is free and we are free to complain about them. It's something that people have to feel out.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should do that thing.

My kids, naturally, thought that meat came from a supermarket. My eldest was about 5-6 when he realized that meat used to be living creatures, and then he had a momentary hard time with it.
    I think people should know where meat comes from and that it is something that was alive and has died. Not even out of some moral imperative about eating animals, but just for awareness and having a real world connection to how things actually work.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Speaking specifically about scanning social media, I just don't see what was so heinous about it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Speaking specifically about scanning social media, I just don't see what was so heinous about it.
    It just doesn't push your buttons apparently.

What actually is heinous? Is there anything? Pick anything. Why is that thing you picked heinous?

I could totally go into android mode and tell you why what you picked isn't heinous. I do have that function.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It just doesn't push your buttons apparently.

What actually is heinous? Is there anything? Pick anything. Why is that thing you picked heinous?

I could totally go into android mode and tell you why what you picked isn't heinous. I do have that function.
    I'm saying that social media is public information. The exchange posted earlier was from Twitter, for chrissakes. It's not like the reporter used subterfuge to weasel their way into someone's private conversation or FB page to get the story. It's a perfectly sensible strategy to scan for possible untold stories on fora where people might be attempting to tell them themselves. That guy's response was hypocritical and unnecessary.