User Tag List

First 210111213142262 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    An aside from our lovely gun control debate.

Kids at Tragedies: Turn Off the Cameras
    I didn't even know they did that.

I think I want to throw up.

MBTI
    INFJ

You know what though, it's better that this has been recognized. I think it's a good sign that some people are questioning this sort of thing.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'd like to add that many proponents of the arguments I'm criticizing often actually are putting forward a slippery slope, because many are saying that regulation of guns today means regulation of butter knives tomorrow.

I'm actually the one pointing out that distinction is relevant and arbitration is necessary, and that we can't just regulate or deregulate everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    That's true, and is called legal heuristics. It's for that reason that there's a legal drinking age, and an age of consent, and an age that one becomes an adult regardless of maturity or individual fringe cases.

The true issue though is the mode of operation that regulation takes. Is it first resort, or is it damage control?

Do we regulate all dangers first as a default stance and then allow freedoms, or do we allow freedoms and then regulate as little as possible?
    I don't think we're confined to those two choices. I don't think should assume everything needs to be contraband until proven otherwise because that's clearly crippling and infeasible. But regulating "as little as possible" is certainly not the only alternative. You should take freedom by default but not feel constrained in applying regulation after analysis.

As for what sort of regulation, that should depend solely on what works.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd like to add that many proponents of the arguments I'm criticizing often actually are putting forward a slippery slope, because many are saying that regulation of guns today means regulation of butter knives tomorrow.

I'm actually the one pointing out that distinction is relevant and arbitration is necessary, and that we can't just regulate or deregulate everything.

I don't think we're confined to those two choices. I don't think should assume everything needs to be contraband until proven otherwise because that's clearly crippling and infeasible. But regulating "as little as possible" is certainly not the only alternative. You should take freedom by default but not feel constrained in applying regulation after analysis.

As for what sort of regulation, that should depend solely on what works.
    Default stance in itself implies a constraint. It must, logically. The constraint being the question of "does this violate the spirit of our default stance?"

Maybe 'as little as possible' was a poor choice of words, though. But in the end, having freedom as the default is diametrically opposed to any unilateral rulings.
    If the lawgiver feels no constraint from the default stance, then for practical purposes the default stance actually disappears. It would only remain as jargon.

The other way to go would be to handle some things one way, and others a different way, but that's another furball.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But they automatically follow from the reasoning that guns shouldn't be singled out as opposed to, say, knives.
    I dont think its comparing like with like, guns and knives, although both have utility and arent known to harm anyone until someone with motive takes them up for that express purpose.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

From what I've been reading, it looks like the guns might have been registered to the mother. It wasn't a case where this killer was approved for gun purchases or purchased the gun through shady but readily available channels; it's likely they belonged to the mother, and apparently she was a divorced older woman who wanted to protect her home. (Although five guns? Dunno. But she apparently was "comfortable with weapons.")

Marsha also said, however, that Nancy had purchased guns because she was living alone in a big house. Nancy was originally from New Hampshire, said Marsha, and comfortable with weapons.

According to police, a Glock handgun, a Sig Sauer handgun and a Bushmaster rifle were recovered after the shooting at Sandy Hook. Authorities say that Nancy Lanza had five weapons registered to her, including a Sig Sauer, a Glock and a Bushmaster. Police have not confirmed that hers were the weapons used in the slayings.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/adam-l...ry?id=17985433
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From what I've been reading, it looks like the guns might have been registered to the mother. It wasn't a case where this killer was approved for gun purchases or purchased the gun through shady but readily available channels; it's likely they belonged to the mother, and apparently she was a divorced older woman who wanted to protect her home. (Although five guns? Dunno. But she apparently was "comfortable with weapons.")

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/adam-l...ry?id=17985433
    Hm. I'm a little ambivalent about that.

Sure, first thought might tend to be that more firepower is more dangerous. Why does she need all those guns anyway?

But yet, more guns do not bring more lethality. Increased lethality pretty much halts around one - at most two guns. You really only effectively use one at a time and might have one as a backup, aside from those who think that pistols akimbo is actually a thing that people do.

So really, five guns, or a hundred guns, is more of a liability for security purposes. They aren't significantly more deadly after two for somebody that has two hands.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    An aside from our lovely gun control debate.

Kids at Tragedies: Turn Off the Cameras
    Oh man, another instance of the reporters going overboard:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was directed at someone who tweeted that her cousin was killed:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Oh man, another instance of the reporters going overboard:
    Holy shit. And paparazzi have a stigma?

How deplorable.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE