User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Yes. Capitalism imo should be treated also as a cultural phenomena, because it it largely about that. The video @op doesent talk of capitalism, it talks about the "american dream" which is a cultural thing and because i see the connection between this cultural thing and capitalism, i also brought up the capitalism, since its fueled by the american dream and is what causes the imbalance in distribution of money/goods, which is the source of this "hell on earth" i was talking about, since it rips off the majority in favor of minority. Another important note that i forgot to mention(as i saw it as obvious, like this culture thing) is the fact that im not against loaning money, as long as its not done in terms of capitalism, but in terms of common good, thats why i think it should be regulated by the government in the interest of the people, not in the interest of profits supporting the interests of the few and in expence of majority(as capitalism does).
    Hmm, that's interesting what you're saying, although isnt a government just as liable to behave as the banks did? What is the common good and what are the "terms of capitalism"?

The cultural aspect is important, I do think it has a major role to play, long after capitalism had proved itself flawed it proved itself invincible because of how enmeshed and intertwined its become with the traditions and cultures of the countries in which it has the deepest roots.

Its largely because its seen as one and the same thing as what people dream about that its so unassailable by its opposition, to popular and appeal among its adherents, Erich Fromm wrote about how fantasy plays as important or more important a role in politics than its given credit for and I think that man was right about that, he also wrote about how the more remote from reality a thing becomes in practice the more celebrated it is in theory or as an idea which people will defend viciously, angrily, determinedly and I dont doubt that too.

On the other hand while I do think culture is important, Weber and social psychology all have their good points, I think structures are important too, they underpin, determine or reinforce culture in a lot of unacknowledged ways too. Capitalism and the cultural idea of the American Dream may be a chicken and egg scenario, ie which came first the chicken or the egg, which came first capitalism or the american dream but structures still matter, if anyone would care to name what the American Dream is, in this video it looks like home ownership and a dog, then I'll bet that could be channelled through lots of different sorts of economies, more or less capitalist.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i also brought up the capitalism, since its fueled by the american dream and is what causes the imbalance in distribution of money/goods, which is the source of this "hell on earth" i was talking about, since it rips off the majority in favor of minority.
    Indeed. I started my first business at age 14 because I wanted to rip off the majority.
    I also wanted to contribute to the imbalance in distribution of money/goods and be a source of hell on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Indeed. I started my first business at age 14 because I wanted to rip off the majority.
    I also wanted to contribute to the imbalance in distribution of money/goods and be a source of hell on earth.
    Yes you did, yes you did, the fact that you wanted to start a business to get money.
    Yes you did, yes you did, so that you can create a monopoly so other businesses can't compete with you.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Capitalism is awesome; it's literally the best thing that ever happened to the human race.

Capitalism is not about businesses versus governments; rather capitalism is just what good governance means.

Inequality will exist even in a just world. So long as people are not equally productive, incomes will not be equally distributed. Income and production are two sides of the same coin--mess with one and you mess with the other. The conceit at the heart of most redistribution schemes (including corporate welfare) is that incomes can be rearranged without also changing production, both in composition and aggregate. (Normally this means less production in aggregate and a compositional shift toward consumer rather than capital goods, meaning lower economic growth in the future.)

Having said that, I'm not reflexively against public welfare schemes. I'm just more sceptical than most.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm just going to go and discuss things with the other posters here. Mind you dont hurt yourself trying to come up with something clever to say.
    Yes it's been tested, and we know that it worked more than mixed economy, just like monarchy work more than democracy.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    No, that is the problem. I would even say that the Federal Reserve would be laissez-faire enough because THEY ARE the ones controlling the flow of money, not congress, not the president, not WE the people. It is WE the banks. The government ain't controlling the Federal Reserve directly. The Federal Reserve is an oligarchy[dramatically speaking
    The fed is an oligarchy because of the validation of its privilege by the state. So, it's truly the State which is the problem.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Yes it's been tested, and we know that it worked more than mixed economy, just like monarchy work more than democracy.
    Well if you're only interested in the one percent

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    The fed is an oligarchy because of the validation of its privilege by the state. So, it's truly the State which is the problem.
    Yeah and most patients cause cancer, women cause rape and ethnic diversity causes racism.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh goody... a libertarian look at conspiracy theories relating to cabals of jewish bankers taking over the world and kennedy's assassination! totally the way that one wishes to start the morning!

they could have AT LEAST been historically accurate about their facts, but that wouldn't have been dramatic enough, would it have...

plus, the reference to the gilded age as the greatest of america's boom times kind of made me regret that I ate breakfast... the gilded age was one of the most dramatic examples of economic inequality and social injustices in american history... that's WHY we have so many laws protecting workers now

it makes me feel the need to listen to some NPR, read some Kevin Phillips and drink a nice cup of tea to get this out of my head...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Inequality=/= social injustice. The today world may be more "equal" but is less prosperous.

What matters is prosperity, not equality.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%