User Tag List

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default If not the EU, then what?

In the midst of the financial crisis in Europe there has been talk about the end of the EU (some fearing it and some calling for it). I find this premature, I even find the end of the Eurozone premature. I find it rather hysterical. But it makes me wonder, for those who entertain the end of the European Union, what future to they see for Europe instead?

There are perks to being a small, inward looking country that focus on maintaining a high standard of living, but there are disadvantages, too. I a country cannot assert itself on the world stage, then the conditions that allow for its standards of living are vulnerable, basically being out of the country's hands. This is what every European country has to look forward to without the EU. Let's say that the 3 most powerful members of the EU are Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. Germany's GDP is smaller than India's, and France and the UK have a GDP smaller than Brazil. India and Brazil are still just rookies, looking forward to development of technology an infrastructure, while Germany, France, and the UK have essentially plateaued. This of course means that China is leagues ahead of any of those European countries.

As a consolidated body (let's imagine more so than it has heretofore been) the EU holds its own in the same tier as the USA and China. As individual countries, every single member can basically look forward to global irrelevance.

I just don't see how the end of the EU can even be considered as an alternative. For the British in particular, I have warning. Reject the EU, and you get to be a protectorate of the USA.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Why is global irrelevance such a bad thing?

Who would Britain need to be protectorate of the USA from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Permabanned

Strength in numbers...
    But, I don't buy into the nationalism thing too much...
    As far as I'm concerned, the only domain relevant to me is myself, and my family.
    My family is more international, therefore national level considerations don't seem too relevant.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Why is global irrelevance such a bad thing?
    Because I, for one, do not envision a future where everyone decides to start playing nice. If you can't project your interests on the world state, than other countries will project their own interest over top of you, and you'll slowly be forced into few and more compromising options by more powerful countries. Without solidarity, the states of Europe can probably look forward taking orders from the USA, China, Russia, and perhaps someday, as crazy as it seems, India or Brazil. Presumably none of this will take the form of actual invasion and colonization, but it will be the result of being politically and economically out-competed.

Being a protectorate doesn't just mean needing protection from an invader. It's a broader kind of dependency. It's a country that has to carry out its trade and diplomacy aims through its more powerful benefactor state.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

russian/chinese influence long term
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.