User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Gay Marriage. Yes or no.

Do you think the supreme court should legalize it or not? Why ?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Is this specifically about how you think the supreme court should rule or just gay marriage in general?

Because regardless of what someone thinks of gay marriage anyone who cares anything at all about the rule of law should not want the supreme court to create such "rights" out of thin air.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

my questions to those who say no
    - does banning gay marriage benefit you in any way?
    - do you believe it's any of your business?
    - do you believe your choice is a result of your religious beliefs?
    - if so, do you believe in separation of church and state?
    - are homosexuals hurting anyone? if so, how?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Because regardless of what someone thinks of gay marriage anyone who cares anything at all about the rule of law should not want the supreme court to create such "rights" out of thin air.
    I don't think treating people fairly and equally = creating rights out of thin air. If you truly care at all about "the rule of law" then you should be more concerned with people being treated equitably (which is what The Constitution, Bill of Rights, et al are all about!). I've asked this on Facebook but nobody would or could give an answer, so I'll ask you...Why shouldn't they (or anybody?) have the right to be married? Explain how it will harm you or society in any way.

Edit: Oh yeah...Is this Art or Entertainment?
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    intp

Courts don't create laws out of thin air. They interpret laws. The US supreme court is supposed to be able to rule on the constitutionality/legality of laws. It is one of the checks/balances that were built into the system when the judiciary was made separate from the executive and legislative branches of government, and is intended to ensure that the government follows its own laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I don't think treating people fairly and equally = creating rights out of thin air. If you truly care at all about "the rule of law" then you should be more concerned with people being treated equitably (which is what The Constitution, Bill of Rights, et al are all about!). I've asked this on Facebook but nobody would or could give an answer, so I'll ask you...Why shouldn't they (or anybody?) have the right to be married? Explain how it will harm you or society in any way.

Edit: Oh yeah...Is this Art or Entertainment?
    If the constitution is all about treating people equally in general, then why did we need the 13th, 15th, and 19th amendment?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Do you understand that amendments are actually additions to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights is merely an extention of the Constitution. As the saying goes "The Constitution is a living being" which is pretty much just a polite way of saying "stuff we didn't think of before". I do find it humorous though that you cite those particular amendments, as they all deal with civil rights, and yet you (or anybody that I ask) still cannot or will not give an answer to why should gay people not be allowed to marry?

Do you understand that amendments are actually additions to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights is merely an extention of the Constitution. As the saying goes "The Constitution is a living being" which is pretty much just a polite way of saying "stuff we didn't think of before". I do find it humorous though that you cite those particular amendments, as they all deal with civil rights, and yet you (or anybody that I ask) still cannot or will not give an answer to why should gay people not be allowed to marry?
    Nobody says the "constitution is a living being." People do say the "constitution is a living document" and those people are idiots who love tyranny.

You didn't answer my question. If the constitution is "a living document" then why do we need amendments?

I'm sorry people on your Facebook are not very well informed, but in their defense the burden is on you not them to give a reason to change public policy from the status quo. Before I answer, do you even know why the state sanctions marriage in the first place?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

1. OK, sorry, I said "a living being" but you're right; the correct phrase is "a living document" but actually those are people that fight AGAINST tyranny. If I'm not mistaken tyranists prefer control over others instead of allowing for change....am I mistaken?
    2. I thought I did answer the question, but I will reiterate...Amendments are needed because people wrote the Constitution, people are fallible, therefore the Constitution is fallible....hence the need for amendments. i.e. "stuff we didn't think of before".
    3. You're right again...most of my facebook friends are idiots. However, if I ask a question about beliefs that they feel the need to post 30+ times a day purporting a particular viewpoint and they can't answer, then I do take issue with that. If they "believe" that strongly about an issue they should be able to say why, right?
    4. No, I don't know why states sanctioned marriage in the first place. Perhaps you coould enlighten myself (and anybody else that doesn't know). While you're at it, could you also explain why you feel that you should be the judge of who can get married? (I'm going to keep asking until I get an answer).

1. OK, sorry, I said "a living being" but you're right; the correct phrase is "a living document" but actually those are people that fight AGAINST tyranny. If I'm not mistaken tyranists prefer control over others instead of allowing for change....am I mistaken?
    Yes, you are mistaken. You're arguing for using tyrannical means to achieve what you view as equality. You're just looking at the policy and ignoring the broader principles. It's that very view of the constitution as living which exploded the commerce clause and enabled the federal government to control almost every aspect of your life including what you eat, drink, watch, hear, and drive.

2. I thought I did answer the question, but I will reiterate...Amendments are needed because people wrote the Constitution, people are fallible, therefore the Constitution is fallible....hence the need for amendments. i.e. "stuff we didn't think of before".
    So why do you want to skip the amendment process here? Is this issue more important than slavery or woman's suffrage and thus proponents can't be bothered with the rigamarole of getting an amendment passed?

More importantly, if judges can add to the constitution without an amendment then what's to stop them from taking things away from the constitution without an amendment?

4. No, I don't know why states sanctioned marriage in the first place. Perhaps you coould enlighten myself (and anybody else that doesn't know).
    If you don't know why the state sanctions marriage in the first place then why do you care? How do you know people are being treated unequally if you don't even know the purpose of the law? Just because a law discriminates doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad (in fact the purpose of most laws is to discriminate in one form or another).

While you're at it, could you also explain why you feel that you should be the judge of who can get married? (I'm going to keep asking until I get an answer).

I'm not the judge. Deeply rooted tradition is the judge of what marriage is. You can call marriage whatever you want, but as soon as you want state sanctioning of your personal opinion then I think you don't have any reason to whine about people making judgements.