User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

As long as I don't have to hear about Gay Pride Parades again, then fine. I don't understand the point of walking around in a parade to show off your homosexuality.

My only problem is if the two people happen to be of a noble nature. I mean, by not being able to reproduce, you're breeding good traits out of the population.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

It is a bit awkward Falcarius answering a straight yes or no to this question; being non-American the debate is different.

First of all, being British means all this constitution legality debate is pretty much irrelevant. Secondly, same sex civil unions are already legal. In Britain the political debate is about if gay people should have the option of gay marriage as well as same sex civil unions, where in America it more about if any kind of same-sex relationships should be acknowledged. The debate is also more also more complicated by the fact Britain has an official religion unlike America.

Falcarius personally is against same sex marriage, but as far as civil-unions it more of a case of tolerating it. Falcarius is not sure if he was a legislator in an American state which bans same-sex marriage and all other kinds of same-sex unions he would vote for any recognise of same sex relationship; in doing so he would have to acknowledge homosexuality as being normal, which he certainly does not believe in. Since Falcarius is British, if he were a lawmaker he would vote against same sex marriage and abstain on any vote on sex civil unions, as he thinks it would be unfair to make illegal again once they already had the right. T

Despite Falcarius opinion on gay marriage being the seemingly quintessential conservative view, he is apparently the antithesis of the Conservative and Unionist Party, since they want to legalise gay marriage. For what it worth, all the three major political parties want to do so as well.

@highlander So which option was Falcarius supposed to pick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    [...] he would have to acknowledge homosexuality as being normal, which he certainly does not believe in.
    How does Falcarius define 'normal'?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    At the least, apparently it includes people who always refer to themselves in the third person.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    - does banning gay marriage benefit you in any way?
    - do you believe it's any of your business?
    - do you believe your choice is a result of your religious beliefs?
    - if so, do you believe in separation of church and state?
    - are homosexuals hurting anyone? if so, how?
    The person (a state Senator from California) that created prop 8's predecessor, prop 22, created it because he believe that allowing gay marriage is to allow for consequences to occur. What he means is that if gay marriage were to be allowed legal in California, it'll allow room for even more crazy ideas like polygamy. Having California strictly define marriage as between a man and a women would prevent these "consequences" from occurring. It will also stop California from recognizing other forms of marriage from other states. If California allowed gay marriages to occur, he posits what would stop polygamists from claiming discrimination that they aren't allowed to marry more than one person. And by extension of his line of reasoning, discrimination against a human marrying an animal.

It is quite a slippery slope kind of thinking if you ask me. I'm pretty sure they had the same rhetoric in the 50's about interracial marriage.

Some of these people also believe that allowing gay marriages hurts their religion, yada yada. That they'll be forced to marry a couple even though it was "against" their religion to do so.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

On this subject, it would be more or less synonyms with natural. To go against the physical and genetic nature of the animal kingdom is not normal in Falcarius' view.

@Jennifer Sadly as it may be, society were more forgiving and acceptive of Elmo's dislike of pronouns and fondness of using illeism than his improper sexual relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    On this subject, it would be more or less synonyms with natural. To go against the physical and genetic nature of the animal kingdom is not normal in Falcarius' view.
    Then I am happy to inform you that homosexuality is normal. Homosexual behavior has been observed in over a thousand different species of animals, and people are, in fact, born that way.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Then I am happy to inform you that homosexuality is normal. Homosexual behavior has been observed in over a thousand different species of animals, and people are, in fact, born that way.
    How do you know they are born that way?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is Highlander engaging in some sort of clever satirisation of the topic as "Arts and Entertainment"?
    It was a mistake actually but it's kind of funny I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I voted yes, but to be honest, I don't see why the government should have anything to do with marriage, gay or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    And I get that there's tax and health benefit implications, but again, if a person has a spouse, what difference does it make if they're the same sex our not?
    I actually used to be against gay marriage and then over the years, I became somewhat ambivalent on it. I guess I never really thought about it much. The old lady that had to pay $360,000 in estate taxes does help you to realize the legal aspect to this and the corresponding implications from a financial perspective. It's discriminating against a large portion of society in the US. It seems pretty doubtful that the US supreme court would take a stand on it. They'll just throw it back to the states. I wish they would get it done and over with though. It's inefficient. 50 years from now, people will look back on it like we look back on women not being allowed to vote 100 years ago.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    How do you know they are born that way?
    Scientific evidence, logic, and personal experience. You can google the former.

Though it does not really make any difference whether it is nature or nurture that determines one's sexual orientation, because the fact remains that one cannot change it at will.