User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I think we first need to decide whether marriage is a privilege or a right and adjust accordingly from there.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I think we first need to decide whether marriage is a privilege or a right and adjust accordingly from there.
    Is there any instance of someone's marriage license being revoked for bad behavior? There is divorce by one or both parties, but I don't know of the government revoking a marriage license as it does a driver's license.

If it cannot be revoked for disobeying a law, then it would be a right and not a privilege.

Even if it were a privilege in what way would a loving, devoted gay couple fall short of such a privilege? What have they done "wrong"?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE

I'm not sure if the Supreme Court should do anything. That is entirely dependent upon their interpretation of the constitution, and I can hardly say I'm as well versed in the text as one ought to be when making such decisions. That said, I think homosexual couples should be afforded all the rights of heterosexual couples. Furthermore, I think that polyamorous and incestuous couples should be afforded with all the rights of heterosexual couples as well. I'll leave the discussion about marriage in general (e.g. should something religious in origin be recognized by the state, etc.) for another discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Furthermore, I think that polyamorous and incestuous couples should be afforded with all the rights of heterosexual couples as well.
    Seeing as married couples get all kinds of legal status with regards to property transactions, this sounds like a great way to permit fraud.

As such, I'm all for it, none of us will have to pay inheritance tax again.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Seeing as married couples get all kinds of legal status with regards to property transactions, this sounds like a great way to permit fraud.

As such, I'm all for it, none of us will have to pay inheritance tax again.
    If that's the way you see it, then we currently permit fraud only if one man and one woman are involved. Ignoring all other forms of union (polyamory, same sex, incestuous, etc), why do you think, as a society, we currently allow for a man and a woman to engage in fraud if they wish? Do you think marriage rights should be abolished?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxTP

If that's the way you see it, then we currently permit fraud only if one man and one woman are involved. Ignoring all other forms of union (polyamory, same sex, incestuous, etc), why do you think, as a society, we currently allow for a man and a woman to engage in fraud if they wish? Do you think marriage rights should be abolished?
    In the legal system I am familiar with, if I die, then 50% of my assets belong to my wife, the other 50% are distributed according to my will or to my children in case of no will, subject to inheritance tax.

In case of incest and polygamy, I would just say that I gay-married my two sons, and leave my three spouses 33.33% of my assets tax free.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    In the legal system I am familiar with, if I die, then 50% of my assets belong to my wife, the other 50% are distributed according to my will or to my children in case of no will, subject to inheritance tax.

In case of incest and polygamy, I would just say that I gay-married my two sons, and leave my three spouses 33.33% of my assets tax free.
    In the case of families (parents and children, siblings, etc) there would need to be some form of regulation. The reason I included incestuous relationships is because I recently saw a documentary about half siblings who were reunited in adulthood (they didn't grow up together), and happened to fall in love with one another. In that instance, I think special permission should be granted. I agree that having blanket acceptance of incestuous marriage, with all the rights therein, would be wrought with potential fraud; but I believe exceptions should be made in certain circumstances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Is there any instance of someone's marriage license being revoked for bad behavior? There is divorce by one or both parties, but I don't know of the government revoking a marriage license as it does a driver's license.

If it cannot be revoked for disobeying a law, then it would be a right and not a privilege.

Even if it were a privilege in what way would a loving, devoted gay couple fall short of such a privilege? What have they done "wrong"?
    Well they aren't revoked, they simply aren't granted to certain people in the first place which is really another form of privilege as it stands now.

MBTI
    xxTP

In the case of families (parents and children, siblings, etc) there would need to be some form of regulation. The reason I included incestuous relationships is because I recently saw a documentary about half siblings who were reunited in adulthood (they didn't grow up together), and happened to fall in love with one another. In that instance, I think special permission should be granted. I agree, that having blanket acceptance of incestuous marriage, with all the rights therein, would be wrought with potential fraud; but I believe exceptions should be made in certain circumstances.
    I don't really care about gay marriage. As long as they don't force me to marry them, I have no issue with it being granted legal status before the law. Neither do I think it devalues marriage, to call it "marriage". Neither do I think it's a slippery slope. Just redefine marriage to "two consenting adults" and problem solved.

I don't agree about polygamous marriages, it's just too unworkable. In the West we use mistresses and prostitutes when we get bored of the old girl, we don't marry them. Damn commies can move to Saudi Arabia if they want four wives.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Marriage of any kind discriminates against singles.