User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 15232425

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by darling devotee View Post
    If you've never had your rights voted on bc you've always had them by default then seriously you can sit the fuck down.

...Having said that, imo it is rather problematic that gay marriage seems to have become "The Issue" that LGBTQ people are supposed to care about/rally behind. There seems to be this assumption in quite a portion of the discourse of cishet liberals/self-proclaimed "allies" who support gay marriage that "oh, if we let gay marriage be a thing then we've done our bit for those freaky queers, we totally acknowledged them as people so that's it they totes have equal rights now everyone go home". And uh no sry but WHAT. Plus the very way the issue is framed erases trans* and, to a significant extent, bi/pan/polysexual etc identites. PLUS, it's very much a middle-class issue; all the faff about being able to own property/assets jointly, to inherit them on one partner's death etc, and that is inherently middle-class bc guess what working class/poorer ppl don't HAVE the opportunity to worry abt that because they don't have the assets in the first place. But i mean like nobody needs to mention that ever bc i mean our insurance policies or whatever are more important rite

&The whole media discourse is pretty much "yeah, white gay cis men wooooo this is all this is about lol! Look they're not all as sex-crazed and deviant as we thought, some even want to assimilate and get married and have children almost like NORMAL people~! Wow. That is so beautiful. And oh look also there's a white cis lesbian couple too. Awww. Hey they're pretty hot too wait can i say that lolol"....and it irritates me.
    You know, I've grown tired of this kind of discourse (I'm a cis-female, POC, gay-leaning-bisexual, if that's of any importance to you.) Of course it's important to be aware of how privilege operates even (or especially) within social movements, but marriage is a landmark issue for the LGBT community precisely because of the normalizing effects that will ensue as a result. Isn't that the whole goal? Trans, bi, poly...all of these folks have only to gain from this whole issue, even if it isn't specifically called the "Please Everyone Forget Your Prejudices And Accept Now This List Of 'Others.'"
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Actually, same-sex marriage impacts trans people a great deal as well -- in the beginning, your legal status can override your gender identity and how you've chosen to present yourself; and then for transsexuals who get legal gender changes, well, if you were in a het marriage to begin with, once you legally change your gender, congrats -- you are now in a same-sex marriage, even in states that don't typically allow it.

In general, if your original marriage was legal, you get "grandfathered" in... theoretically... but there's been some concern that someone could try to nullify your marriage and that the court system would get involved, considering some states even have it recorded in their constitutions now that same-sex marriages are invalid.

And it also works in the opposite way for transsexuals, as there've been notable cases in which people have legally and physically changed genders and gotten married in a "het" marriage based on their new gender... but since the birth certificate would not be allowed to be changed in that particular state, when the spouse died, the dead spouse's family had been able to sue and WIN because the marriage was "invalid,", basically stripping the trans widow(er) of any rightful property they should have received at the death of their spouse.

So yes, the "face" of gay marriage might be gay men; but it's still a very relevant issue for transgendered folks. it has huge ramifications in terms of new marriages, old marriages, and even the transmission of property and inheritance.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Actually, same-sex marriage impacts trans people a great deal as well -- in the beginning, your legal status can override your gender identity and how you've chosen to present yourself; and then for transsexuals who get legal gender changes, well, if you were in a het marriage to begin with, once you legally change your gender, congrats -- you are now in a same-sex marriage, even in states that don't typically allow it.
    Transsexuals always get pushed to the side when it comes to issues like these. That needs to change!

I watched a documentary about transsexuals in Iran a while ago. They ban homosexual relationships but they allow doctors to perform sex changes and then have relationships with someone of their former sex, if I remember correctly. Loopholes in the system, man.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I voted yes. It doesn't affect me at all if it were to be made completely legal. The world is not going to end or anything silly like that lol. It would at least put an end to all the arguments about it and force politicians to focus on other things, instead of using that issue as a major base for their campaigning (which mostly happens in a negative way).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I watched a documentary about transsexuals in Iran a while ago. They ban homosexual relationships but they allow doctors to perform sex changes and then have relationships with someone of their former sex, if I remember correctly. Loopholes in the system, man.
    Wow, that is pretty screwed up...not surprising considering that part of the world though.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Iran's a bitch on this topic, as they punish homosexuals severely but offer them 'sex changes' (on the state medical system) to avoid punishment. This might be great for actual transsexuals (who have their problems alleviated by the surgery, if that's what they need); but otherwise they are basically forcing gender dysphoria and performing genital mutilation on desperate homosexuals, which is not cool to say the least. It's pretty messed up.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft