User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1422232425 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Working in classical music, many of the gay couples I know represent what anyone would consider as admirable. In classical music some are conservative in lifestyle and religious, so stereotypes are particularly difficult to apply to homosexuality. People I know who are leaders in their field, highly intelligent and gifted, and particularly compassionate, and monogamously in love with their partners for many years. It is only reasonable to show respect for these individuals' choice of whom to love, and to give them the same rights of having that choice acknowledged by society.

I think that gay pride parades serves a purpose in society to take stereotypes, and sexual fears, and to challenge people's perceptions. I suspect if the conservative strains in society were not so easily worked up and abhorring the sexuality of gays, that there wouldn't be as much motivation to shock people in pride parades. People who are elitist and easily offended are bound to be teased.

Imagine a role reversal in which the norm is homosexuality, and anyone who fell in love with the opposite sex was considered perverted and their love would destroy society if made legitimate. Imagine the hate crimes, judgment from family, friends and random people online, disapproving looks. If you knew how easily offended everyone was by your sexuality, and there was going to be a hetero-pride parade, wouldn't it be a a little bit tempting to tease the condescending, uptight, easily offended folk by dancing in your undies?
    Makes sense to me, although I've seen some people who also are just more indulgent as well.

But really, much of these widespread conceptions of gay people are really less about being gay and more about being a restricted minority, as you have noted.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't grasp any reason why a person would care about another persons marriage. I have yet to hear a single argument that sounds reasonable.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Makes sense to me, although I've seen some people who also are just more indulgent as well.

But really, much of these widespread conceptions of gay people are really less about being gay and more about being a restricted minority, as you have noted.
    I know a whole bunch of indulgent straight people who will be allowed to get married if/when they decide to settle down.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I don't care if it's made legal, it doesn't affect me at all. Whether it is or not, marriage will always have the same meaning to me, regardless of any legal changes, and that's all that matters to me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Working in classical music, many of the gay couples I know represent what anyone would consider as admirable. In classical music some are conservative in lifestyle and religious, so stereotypes are particularly difficult to apply to homosexuality. People I know who are leaders in their field, highly intelligent and gifted, and particularly compassionate, and monogamously in love with their partners for many years. It is only reasonable to show respect for these individuals' choice of whom to love, and to give them the same rights of having that choice acknowledged by society.
    A Pagan group leader where I used to live was asked once about her group's position on homosexuality. She answered that they do not try to tell people whom to love; they just hope that they do indeed love.

Imagine a role reversal in which the norm is homosexuality, and anyone who fell in love with the opposite sex was considered perverted and their love would destroy society if made legitimate.
    Not exactly the same scenario, but consider Ursula LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness. It portrays a society of hermaphrodites, in which anyone who is perpetually "locked" into a single sex (as we humans mostly are) is viewed as a pervert.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Gay marriage = yuuuuuuuuuup!

My Uncle is gay, but he's also a manipulative ass hole. Therefore, I feel like I can offer a fair perspective, by virtue of his douchebaggery canceling out any bias due to relation.

Problem solved, next question.
    Strong preference of Introversion over Extroversion (89%) ; Distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%) ; Slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%) ; Slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%) - { slightly cracked }

- MY TUMBLR -

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I thought this was amusing today: Newt Gingrich told Republicans to stop fighting gay marriage, because it's a losing battle.

“It is in every family … It is in every community. The momentum is clearly now in the direction in finding some way to … accommodate and deal with reality. And the reality is going to be that in a number of American states — and it will be more after 2014 — gay relationships will be legal, period.”

Gingrich said that he didn’t personally believe in gay marriage but said that gay couples should be able to have the same rights as straight couples. Gingrich said that the Catholic church may not recognize gay marriage anytime soon but that the federal government would.
    When running in the primaries for this past presidential election, he had signed a pledge stating the following:

“As President, I will vigorously enforce the Defense of Marriage Act… I will also aggressively defend the constitutionality of DOMA in federal and state courts. I will support sending a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the states for ratification.”
    He was also Speaker of the House when DOMA was originally passed.

http://www.inquisitr.com/448164/newt...be-legal-soon/
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I thought this was amusing today: Newt Gingrich told Republicans to stop fighting gay marriage, because it's a losing battle.

When running in the primaries for this past presidential election, he had signed a pledge stating the following:

He was also Speaker of the House when DOMA was originally passed.

http://www.inquisitr.com/448164/newt...be-legal-soon/
    He's a funny little dwarf.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

A bit late, but I want to get married one day! So yes for gay marriage. I don't really care whether someone disapproves of homosexuality or not, that's their opinion. But when they try to make their opinion the law, that's when I draw the line! If only people just let others do what they want to do and respectably disagree with it rather than limiting them. :/ Sighhh
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

If you've never had your rights voted on bc you've always had them by default then seriously you can sit the fuck down.

...Having said that, imo it is rather problematic that gay marriage seems to have become "The Issue" that LGBTQ people are supposed to care about/rally behind. There seems to be this assumption in quite a portion of the discourse of cishet liberals/self-proclaimed "allies" who support gay marriage that "oh, if we let gay marriage be a thing then we've done our bit for those freaky queers, we totally acknowledged them as people so that's it they totes have equal rights now everyone go home". And uh no sry but WHAT. Plus the very way the issue is framed erases trans* and, to a significant extent, bi/pan/polysexual etc identites. PLUS, it's very much a middle-class issue; all the faff about being able to own property/assets jointly, to inherit them on one partner's death etc, and that is inherently middle-class bc guess what working class/poorer ppl don't HAVE the opportunity to worry abt that because they don't have the assets in the first place. But i mean like nobody needs to mention that ever bc i mean our insurance policies or whatever are more important rite

&The whole media discourse is pretty much "yeah, white gay cis men wooooo this is all this is about lol! Look they're not all as sex-crazed and deviant as we thought, some even want to assimilate and get married and have children almost like NORMAL people~! Wow. That is so beautiful. And oh look also there's a white cis lesbian couple too. Awww. Hey they're pretty hot too wait can i say that lolol"....and it irritates me.