User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm going to do my part to correct a certain democratic deficit and I'm not talking about homosexuals or homosexuality again, not here or elsewhere, to me its on a par with discussing the rights of D&D role players and gets way too much attention, way out of proportion to what is deserves.
    Why? Because both are relatively small minorities? I suppose you would stay in Omelas as well, because its oppressed is a minority of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    We don't need laws to have gays raising babies or even marying, so the goal of the law is necessarly something else.
    Apparently we do, as same-sex partners are not given the same legal status in benefits, inheritance, next-of-kin considerations, and adoption as are opposite-sex spouses. We are not talking about ceremonies, or religious blessing, or cultural approval here - just legal recognition, which is all that the SCOTUS can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    My main point is that gays can marry if they wish, but the current style of promoting it is terrible. If you draw clear lines between homosexual and heterosexual marriage and then start having parades and promotions of one or the other - or both - it no longer is the love between two people but a social trend.
    Then let's not draw such clear lines. Have the law allow each person to designate a life partner of their choice, without regard to race, religion, nationality, etc. etc. AND sex. Leave it to religions, cultures, families, and individual couples to make whatever distinctions they see fit.

Well, fine, not promotion per se, but the current style of promotion, is the problem. I mean, I've noticed how homosexuality is given far more attention than it needs to. I've met "pro-gays", so to speak, who, in a sense, will see a gay as some sort of endangered specie that needs protection; one becomes so caught-up in all of us becoming equal and everybody's "rights" that the promotion becomes an end in itself rather than a means.
    One might say that women's rights, or racial equality, or the rights of the disabled, or now even the needs of returning veterans, are being given far more attention than needed. All of these are temporary states, while society works to assimilate yet another marginalized group into the broader "us". I suspect gays would like for it to be accepted as quite ordinary for the new neighbor, or boss, or teacher, or in-law to be gay, just as women seem happy when no one bats an eye any more if a CEO is female.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    there was a time when a white person couldn't marry a black person. There were lots of criticism from the right about how this undermined social stability, about how it was a 'slippery slope', etc; sensible arguments from sensible people...
    That was less than 50 years ago...
    I expect that in less-than 50 years, gay marriage will be acceptable too.
    Why? What do sexual orientation and race possibly have in common?
    Bigotry, mostly. Can we just accept that, and move on with the inevitable?
    This about sums it up. Some people just can't think that far ahead, though. They cannot change the inevitable, though, just delay it a bit.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

wait, now Lark is campaigning against the rights of AD&D PLAYERS???? Them's fighting words!!!

Honestly, I think enjoying RPGs is a little different than sexual orientation. you're taking a casual recreational interest and comparing it one's natural bent toward love, finding a life partner, and raising children, and growing old together?

I mean, really. I think any reasonable person can see a huge gap between the two. (Maybe if it was NASCAR, or Raven's football, sure; but come on. )

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think we can add NerdGirl, Lark, and Peguy to the opposition. A list of names that instantly reveals where the problem really lies.
    Well, I'm assuming that there are probably others out there who might have voted had it been a private vote, but making it public means one has to identify as a minority regarding the topic and create more trouble for themselves than it's worth. So the votes are likely going to be underrepresented.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    wait, now Lark is campaigning against the rights of AD&D PLAYERS???? Them's fighting words!!!
    An oversimplification, as all AD&D players are decidedly not equal. Those of us who play spellcasters are obviously deserving of greater rights.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    An oversimplification, as all AD&D players are decidedly not equal. Those of us who play spellcasters are obviously deserving of greater rights.
    I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there bub.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Posh. Only if you can get that spell off.

A rogue could drop you in your tracks before you even knew you were dead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My main point is that gays can marry if they wish, but the current style of promoting it is terrible. If you draw clear lines between homosexual and heterosexual marriage and then start having parades and promotions of one or the other - or both - it no longer is the love between two people but a social trend.
    Oh, you object to the pride parades. That's a whole other tangent. This thread is about allowing gay people who are in a committed relationship the same legal rights and perks as straight people in a committed relationship - in other words, the very opposite of "draw[ing] clear lines between homosexual and heterosexual marriage".
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Posh. Only if you can get that spell off.

A rogue could drop you in your tracks before you even knew you were dead.
    Ah, but with greater rights come greater responsibilities (why it takes us so many more points to level up). With judicious use of NWPs, no one is the wiser.

(Couldn't resist pursuing your derail. Am in withdrawal from mage characters, alas, and currently doing a bad job with a cleric.)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

You spellcasters, with your fancy wands, and expensive ingredients, and yer long white beards and dusty scrolls.. None privileges for ya'll!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I consider gay pride parades similar to the marches and demonstrations for women's suffrage and minority rights. When you don't have equal rights, you have to try to make yourself visible so that the majority *can't* just forget about you and pretend you don't exist. You have to stay in their faces and make them see that you are people and you're not going to go away if they try to ignore you.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My grandmother said within the last few years that she thought the coloreds made too big a deal of things, what with their marches and demonstrations, and it just wasn't modest.