User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How does social change ever occur in a democracy if the public is not made aware of existing problems and possible solutions? Promotion is one way of advocating an issue in public discourse, although I agree that pride parades are a poor means in this case and often more silly than helpful.
    Well, fine, not promotion per se, but the current style of promotion, is the problem. I mean, I've noticed how homosexuality is given far more attention than it needs to. I've met "pro-gays", so to speak, who, in a sense, will see a gay as some sort of endangered specie that needs protection; one becomes so caught-up in all of us becoming equal and everybody's "rights" that the promotion becomes an end in itself rather than a means.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm... 40-5 right now, but 2 of the 5 also voted for it. Such drama.
    I think we can add NerdGirl, Lark, and Peguy to the opposition. A list of names that instantly reveals where the problem really lies.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How does social change ever occur in a democracy if the public is not made aware of existing problems and possible solutions? Promotion is one way of advocating an issue in public discourse, although I agree that pride parades are a poor means in this case and often more silly than helpful.
    Very well said.

It isn't the most adult way of handling things, admittedly, but sometimes when everyone else around you is acting ridiculous, you want to as well.

"They called me flamboyant and over the top? I'll show them over the top, they haven't SEEN over the top yet! I'm damned if I do or don't, so I might as well." It's a way of venting that doesn't require violence and, at least, is positive in venting the obvious stressors that homosexuals have to face. Also, people need to be desensitized to homosexuality in public areas. I don't really mind it at all, and I'd rather robust parades than people brooding in anger and silence.

I'm still confused on why a social trend is a bad thing. Are we all hipsters or something?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    What is the issue with the legal right for same-sex couples to marry being promoted? And what do you mean that, when promoted, it becomes a social trend?
    First question: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2007301

Second question: I mean that instead of an individual just having feelings for another individual, it becomes something one needs to show off; instead of just being another choice, it becomes it's own separate specie. I'm certain that's not always the case, but once you have separate schools for gays - I think there is one around in my city; it went something like Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual-Transexual highschool (yeah, it's obvious I can't remember its real name, but I remember it had these four words in it) - it becomes a problem.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Well, fine, not promotion per se, but the current style of promotion, is the problem. I mean, I've noticed how homosexuality is given far more attention than it needs to. I've met "pro-gays", so to speak, who, in a sense, will see a gay as some sort of endangered specie that needs protection; one becomes so caught-up in all of us becoming equal and everybody's "rights" that the promotion becomes an end in itself rather than a means.
    So what is the alternative? Being quiet isn't an option--no one wants to just mind their own damn business with the issue. Gay marriage is still illegal to obviously it has certainly not been given more attention than necessary. Maybe if it were already legalized as a nation, with all the same rights, and people STILL were whining for some sort of compensation, I could see it..

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

By the way, I'm calling it a day for this thread; I might be back tomorrow.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

First question: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2007301

Second question: I mean that instead of an individual just having feelings for another individual, it becomes something one needs to show off; instead of just being another choice, it becomes it's own separate specie. I'm certain that's not always the case, but once you have separate schools for gays - I think there is one around in my city; it went something like Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual-Transexual highschool (yeah, it's obvious I can't remember its real name, but I remember it had these four words in it) - it becomes a problem.
    Do you think schools for women are a problem? Or Christian schools for boys? Are these problems too? I think kids are cruel enough to kids that don't have issues like gender changes, homosexuality, or sexual confusion.. Add that to the mix and you end up with some kids getting beaten to a pulp because some homophobic asshole thought they looked at their junk.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Do you think schools for women are a problem? Or Christian schools for boys? Are these problems too? I think kids are cruel enough to kids that don't have issues like gender changes, homosexuality, or sexual confusion.. Add that to the mix and you end up with some kids getting beaten to a pulp because some homophobic asshole thought they looked at their junk.
    Yes...yes...yes. Good God! I'm calling for the world to be turned upside down and radically changed, and you mistake me for some apathetic, ruffian.

As I said earlier, I'm calling it a day.

Schopenhauer

I imagine if there it were not for the aggressive opposition that this perfectly reasonable proposition is facing due to religious nutcaseship, its proponents would not feel the need to keep on repeating their message. I think the fact that even many who would not be personally affected if the new rights were in place are happy to join the pro-side mainly results from the understanding that giving people rights is nobler than withholding them.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yes...yes...yes. Good God! I'm calling for the world to be turned upside down and radically changed, and you mistake me for some apathetic, ruffian.

As I said earlier, I'm calling it a day.
    I'd like to see some radical changes.. but I think I'd settle for sensible, conservative ones. I understand the sentiment of wanting people to just shut up and get on with their lives--I, too, find homosexuality to be quite uninteresting. It definitely is not a point of interest when knowing someone. But it really just isn't an option, and some changes promote more changes. The squeaky wheels get the grease, as they say, but the rest of the wheels may be discovered to need fixing while the mechanic is already on the case.