User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage - Yes or no?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 93.06%
  • No

7 9.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 2101112131422 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm going to do my part to correct a certain democratic deficit and I'm not talking about homosexuals or homosexuality again, not here or elsewhere, to me its on a par with discussing the rights of D&D role players and gets way too much attention, way out of proportion to what is deserves.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Gay marriage is not prohbited. That's a lie.

Actually nobody forbid gays to have a party where they wearr a whire dress, and call that a marriage.

So, the true question is "should the state create a statist form of gay marriage?"; and of course the answer is no.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Gay marriage is not prohbited. That's a lie.

Actually nobody forbid gays to have a party where they wearr a whire dress, and call that a marriage.

So, the true question is "should the state create a statist form of gay marriage?"; and of course the answer is no.

This post is moronic, as is @Lark's above it.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    This post is moronic.
    Prove it.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I think we should outlaw straight marriage and give everyone civil unions.
    Never mind, I'm not going to comment.

Actually, many homosexuals do have biological children; and those who choose to adopt can transmit those noble traits which are not of a biological nature but more of a psychological nature to their children by rasing them in a loving and educational family.
    Oh, joy; having a child with an unknown donour who you're not even in love with. Do you see the problem?

I've noticed the same inherent weaknesses and strengths pass through me from my ancestors, and to others from their parents. Of course, you're not going to be the exact same person as your parents, but it still plays a role. It seems that plenty of people who have been acknowledged as geniuses agree with me; here's from Schopenhauer:

"With our knowledge of the complete unalterability both of character and of mental faculties, we are led to the view that a real and thorough improvement of the human race might be reached not so much from outside as from within, not so much by theory and instruction as rather by the path of generation. Plato had something of the kind in mind when, in the fifth book of his Republic, he explained his plan for increasing and improving his warrior caste. If we could castrate all scoundrels and stick all stupid geese in a convent, and give men of noble character a whole harem, and procure men, and indeed thorough men, for all girls of intellect and understanding, then a generation would soon arise which would produce a better age than that of Pericles."

And, then, if you are correct, I'm certain there's still plenty of ignoble homosexuals just like heterosexuals who ought not have children. If I had it my way, neither of these two would raise any children:

Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Prove it.

I believe the assessment of such things is personal opinion, and as such, I cannot.

Other than say yours, Lark's, and @Beorn's is inadequate for present and future societies.

@Jennifer

Despite being on this board for several years I still really don't know you and given the personal nature of your last post I am not sure I will be willing to engage you on this topic beyond this post. I want to speak in terms of broad framework and societal ideals to be worked toward. I am well aware that we live in a broken world, but I don't want to talk specifically about the brokenness you refer to because I don't want anything I say to be taken as a personal attack.

I don't think I took you out of context. In fact, it's the other way around as you are pretending I'm attacking adoption. My discussion of familial bonds was inclusive of adoption (blood and covenant) and adoption wasn't the only familial bond you referred to in your post as you also mentioned that "Homosexuals have tried het relationships and sometimes produce offspring from those before deciding that they just can't make the relationships work." That was the focus on individual choice above familial duty that I was referring to.

Furthermore, I will stand by my statement that the views you hold on this issue are based on consumeristic individualism as none of your discussion of contextualization or claims about what non-traditional parents can provide a child does anything to refute my position.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've never really understood why people want to be married in churches that they don't actively worship in/have fellowship with. I don't think churches should be forced to perform any ceremonies by law, the very idea makes my teeth hurt. At the same time, I know that many churches considered it anathema to marry an interracial couple, and I'm not sure how the law has responded to that (if at all).
    Incidentally, the law did respond to the ban on interracial marriages in the South. In the Loving v. Virginia case, SCOTUS ruled Virginia's anti-miscegenation law was in violation of the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

It's just a matter of time before the Court rules the prohibition against gay marriage to be equally retarded. Hurray for progress!
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    And, then, if you are correct, I'm certain there's still plenty of ignoble homosexuals just like heterosexuals who ought not have children. If I had it my way, neither of these two would raise any children.
    Agreed, in that it's a character or promiscuity issue unrelated to preference. Some people are ready to be good parents and/or have an aptitude for it, and some do not -- straight or otherwise.

I mean, I've been out in urban areas on a Saturday night. Yeah, two guys in their underwear on a gay parade float is awkward; but in comparison, it's not a lot different than the 20-something meat market and the kind of crazy outfits I've seen perfectly straight girls wear while fishing for men, etc. In fact, there are many more het people out there behaving in crazy public fashion simply by force of numbers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

there was a time when a white person couldn't marry a black person. There were lots of criticism from the right about how this undermined social stability, about how it was a 'slippery slope', etc; sensible arguments from sensible people...
    That was less than 50 years ago...
    I expect that in less-than 50 years, gay marriage will be acceptable too.
    Why? What do sexual orientation and race possibly have in common?
    Bigotry, mostly. Can we just accept that, and move on with the inevitable?