User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Default Royal nurse suicide - I call BS

This story is really pissing me off. Though having to spend all weekend inside writing my dissertation may also contribute. But I digress.

You will all know the story (see below if you live under a rock).

The hospital want us to believe she killed herself purely from humiliation by the radio station. WTF. How stupid do they think we are?

This woman had two kids...surely the Hospital must have threatened her, bullied her, and generally destroyed her for the "crime" of passing on a call in good faith. I know plenty of scenarios where people get their lives ruined for an honest error. Imagine if she had debts, 2 kids to support, and they were threatening to ruin her career...I don't endorse suicide but you can see how to someone fragile, that could push them over the edge. This is the only reason why she would have killed herself.

My question is, are there people actually stupid enough to believe this is the fault of the radio station??? There must be, otherwise they wouldn't bother to claim it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/de...nk-radio-nurse

Hospital writes to royal prank radio station owners about 'appalling' stunt
    King Edward VII hospital chairman accuses DJs of 'humiliating' staff, after death of nurse who took Duchess of Cambridge call
    Share 12

inShare
    Email
    Roxanne Escobales and Alison Rourke in Sydney
    guardian.co.uk, Saturday 8 December 2012 16.25 GMT

Nurse Jacintha Saldanha, left, was found dead days after she was the victim of a prank call from Mel Greig and Michael Christian. Photograph: PA/Reuters
    The hospital that was duped by a radio station prank call into revealing details about the condition of the Duchess of Cambridge has written to the Australian station's owners, accusing its DJs of "humiliating" its staff with a "truly appalling" stunt.

The letter, from the chairman of King Edward VII hospital in London, follows the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, whose body was found at a property close to the hospital on Friday, in a suspected suicide. Saldanha had answered the prank call and transferred it through to the duchess's nurse.

Lord Glenarthur, the hospital chairman, said Saldanha's death was "tragic beyond words" and urged the radio station to ensure the incident was never repeated.

Glenarthur told Southern Cross Austereo, which owns the station whose DJs made and aired the call, that the immediate consequence of 2Day FM's "premeditated and ill-considered actions" led to the "humiliation" of Saldanha and another nurse.

He wrote: "I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated."

Saldanha's family were said to be "very, very shocked" by her death, as the Metropolitan police released a photograph of the nurse.

A family friend updated the press on the family's condition as relatives and friends comforted Saldanha's husband and teenage son and daughter at their home in Bristol. A single bouquet wrapped in pink paper was propped up against iron gates at the house.

In a statement to the press, the family expressed deep sadness and asked the media to respect their privacy.

The photograph of Saldanha released by the police, appeared to be a blurry passport-style picture and showed the Indian-born nurse with her hair pulled back.

Link to this video
    Details of Glenarthur's letter came after the chief executive of Southern Cross Austereo, Rhys Holleran, held a press conference to say that Saldanha's suspected suicide was "tragic", but that he was satisfied the presenters had broken no laws and could not have "reasonably foreseen" the events which unfolded.

"We are very confident that we haven't done anything illegal," said Holleran. "We are satisfied that the procedures we have in place have been met.

"Our main concern at this point in time is that what has happened is deeply tragic and we are incredibly saddened and we are incredibly affected by that."

It is understood Saldanha had worked at the London hospital for four years and was the staff member who had answered a telephone call at 5.30am on Tuesday from the presenters posing as the Queen and the Prince of Wales. She had put the call through to a duty nurse, who then divulged medical details of the duchess's condition to the presenters.

During a press conference in Melbourne, Holleran expressed "deep sorrow" at the events of the last 24 hours. He said had spoken to both of the presenters and said their show would remain off-air until further notice, out of respect. Both had been offered counselling.

"Our main concern is for the family [of the nurse]. I don't think anyone could have reasonably foreseen this was going to be the result," he said.

"I spoke to both presenters early this morning and it's fair to say they're completely shattered. These people aren't machines, they're human beings. We're all affected by this."

Australians expressed shock and disbelief at the death of Saldanha. A spokesman for the Australian prime minister, Julia Gillard, said: "This is a terrible tragedy. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this time."

The federal communications minister, Stephen Conroy, described Saldanha's death as "dreadful and tragic". "My thoughts and sympathies are with Ms Saldanha's family, friends and work colleagues at this time," he said.

Conroy confirmed that the independent broadcasting regulator, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), had received complaints about the hoax call but said a decision about whether to investigate the prank call for possible breaches of the commercial radio codes of practice would be one for ACMA.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, to step back for just a moment, you have painted a particular scenario which could have occurred, and it's actually possible (IMO); but we just don't really know. All we know is that the events worked together in conjunction to result in this particular outcome.

In favor of your theory or something similar, psychologically healthy and/or unstressed people typically don't kill themselves over making such a blunder, even if they feel horrible about it. In this case, the woman did not even relay the information herself, she was merely the gatekeeper who passed the call through, and someone else made the actual error.

By her acceptance of blame for this and her corresponding reaction, it does suggest that the call was only the tip of a much larger iceberg -- that she was placed under a terrible amount of stress either by her own psychological makeup and/or from the hospital and others. I don't think a prank call out of the blue can DRIVE a response like this, it is merely the trigger in an already loaded gun. Still, I think the media can be irresponsible and not consider the impact of their behavior on people they happen to take advantage of; this wasn't just a bit of news, these are people's lives they are dabbling in. So there is that to consider as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, to step back for just a moment, you have painted a particular scenario which could have occurred, and it's actually possible (IMO); but we just don't really know. All we know is that the events worked together in conjunction to result in this particular outcome.

In favor of your theory or something similar, psychologically healthy and/or unstressed people typically don't kill themselves over making such a blunder, even if they feel horrible about it. In this case, the woman did not even relay the information herself, she was merely the gatekeeper who passed the call through, and someone else made the actual error.

By her acceptance of blame for this and her corresponding reaction, it does suggest that the call was only the tip of a much larger iceberg -- that she was placed under a terrible amount of stress either by her own psychological makeup and/or from the hospital and others. I don't think a prank call out of the blue can DRIVE a response like this, it is merely the trigger in an already loaded gun. Still, I think the media can be irresponsible and not consider the impact of their behavior on people they happen to take advantage of; this wasn't just a bit of news, these are people's lives they are dabbling in. So there is that to consider as well.
    Yes you're right.

It was bothering me but I didn't have time to write a proper argument, I just wanted to give my conclusions and let other people discuss.

I am not saying the radio station is blameless, I just want to know, is there anyone who can really believe the Hospital's "plea of innocence"...? Actually it's worse than that, nobody is publicly questioning them AFAIK so they don't even have to plea innocence, they seem free to give a completely unbelievable version of events.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

This is a pretty strange angle to focus on...

I hope you do better in your dissertation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Reading the article....it does seem like a lot of spin. But it's media.....that seems to have become the point these days. Maybe it's a sign of what most people want; their heads in sand.

So that's what they are given.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

I find this hard to believe, period.

Do they even know if it was actually suicide? Even if it is, how can they know it wasn't coincidental?

Anyway. This is ridiculous and smells like a tabloid scandal.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    This is a pretty strange angle to focus on...
    Is it? What angle would you focus on?

That was my immediate thought when I saw this story. I said to someone else IRL who had immediately had the same thoughts as me...so maybe my family is just strange in general.

I hope you do better in your dissertation.
    I hope you're not marking it!

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I find this hard to believe, period.

Do they even know if it was actually suicide? Even if it is, how can they know it wasn't coincidental?

Anyway. This is ridiculous and smells like a tabloid scandal.
    I am sorry, I don't know what you mean. you think she didn't kill herself, or that it was unrelated to the call?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I am sorry, I don't know what you mean. you think she didn't kill herself, or that it was unrelated to the call?
    Well either one could be a possibility.

I don't understand how they're arriving at the conclusion that she felt humiliated, regardless if it's the DJ's fault or if it's the hospitals fault, because both possibilities seem absurd to me.

I suppose it's possible that she got chewed out a lot, but this doesn't seem even outrage worthy or suicide worthy in the first place.

In other words, this seems like jumping to fantastic conclusions.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Well either one could be a possibility.

I don't understand how they're arriving at the conclusion that she felt humiliated, regardless if it's the DJ's fault or if it's the hospitals fault, because both possibilities seem absurd to me.

I suppose it's possible that she got chewed out a lot, but this doesn't seem even outrage worthy or suicide worthy in the first place.

In other words, this seems like jumping to fantastic conclusions.
    What if she got threatened with internal investigation and possibly having her career destroyed, with two kids to support?

I agree, the idea that she killed herself over "humiliation" purely because of a prank call, is absurd, hence my point.