User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I proposed a hypothesis which I find realistic, and defended it against claims that it is unrealistic.

Can I, or am I attempting to, positively prove it? No. I am just making the case that my line of inquiry should, based on the evidence at hand, be pursued and not dismissed. Nothing more.

/Still writing Dissertation on a Saturday night. :'(
    Oh, ok. That's a bit different then.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm not saying she was actually to blame, I am just saying they may have scapegoated her.
    Why is scapegoating a better "justification" for suicide than public humiliation?

I don't disagree, but do you think she killed herself just because she felt bad about the call? Or because of threatened consequences?

I find the former impossible to believe.
    I don't think think it's relevant. Suicide is rarely rational, why try to rationalise it?

What's beyond debate is
    A) the protocol at the hospital for dealing with requests for information was seriously fucked and needs urgent review (I mean, What. the. Fuck? How does that even happen to ordinary citizens, let alone the Royal family)
    B) the woman was clearly in need of support she did not receive
    C) the radio station producers were idiots for allowing the incident to occur AND THEN air and should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    The story went around the world, the radio station played it on repeat...she was essentially publically humiliated. For some people that's enough to push them over the edge to suicide. It wouldn't be a first.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    xxTP

The story went around the world, the radio station played it on repeat...she was essentially publically humiliated. For some people that's enough to push them over the edge to suicide. It wouldn't be a first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Yep.
    I just can't see how it was humiliating on its own, nor why it would be a big deal if her employers supported her.

It's tragic, and even worse to think someone would kill themselves over such a trivial thing. If her career was under-threat, I could understand it.

I've played pranks on people...people have played pranks on me...I didn't even see the call as a bad thing.

This story reports that the nurses received death threats from the public over their "mistake"...that could also have something to do with it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2263558.html

Also the DJs are now getting death threats too:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...ll-djs-1479028

Conclusion - people are a bunch of grovelling fucking peasants who would kill for Kate Middleton but wouldn't even have the heart to defend the food on their own table.

Victims of this pathology so far: 1 nurse, 2 DJ's.

When will humanity develop a sense of perspective?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Are you serious? You don't see how being the laughingstock of the world could be humiliating?

MBTI
    xxTP

Are you serious? You don't see how being the laughingstock of the world could be humiliating?
    I don't think she was the laughing stock of the world. I thought it seemed in good nature. Maybe I am missing something.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Victims of this pathology so far: 1 nurse, 2 DJ's.
    The DJs are (thus far) only the victims of their own poor judgement.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I just can't see how it was humiliating on its own, nor why it would be a big deal if her employers supported her.
    But that's you. You may have a completely different personality, and certainly a completely different set of circumstances, from this woman. People commit suicide over apparently NOTHING every day. Suicides happen out of the blue all the time, except of course internally (inside the person) it's probably not "out of the blue." There could be depression, there could be serious hidden family issues. And then something at least potentially traumatic like this happens.

It doesn't mean we know everything about how she felt, etc but it doesn't necessarily mean that the hospital treated her with anger or cruelty after the incident. I don't think that's an obvious assumption. It's possible but it's not a must.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

I think this situation is strange is all I can say, I hope that there wasnt pressure put on this woman and I dont see how she'd have decided to take her life over this single incident but I dont know anything about her mental health.

As SilkRoad says for someone who is not experience those kind of troubles something can appear trivial which to those experiencing them is insurmountable.

It seems really, really tragic is all I can say, I know some people on the social work side of the caring and health service who really are the sort of people who need as much help themselves as they are able to dispense to the public and I wouldnt be surprised if nursing isnt the same or attracts that sort of personality. On the other hand I do think that the state of management in the UK is abysimal, I dont know what's to be done about that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Whether or not she actually committed suicide, the official story will continue to be suicide.

The queen is the ultimate welfare mother. Her family does not deserve privacy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    xxTP

People commit suicide over apparently NOTHING every day. Suicides happen out of the blue all the time, except of course internally (inside the person) it's probably not "out of the blue." There could be depression, there could be serious hidden family issues. And then something at least potentially traumatic like this happens.
    Here is my point: everyone is so shocked that it does not seem she had given prior indications.

The trauma would therefore have to be quite bad.

Unless she was facing consqeuences from someone, the "trauma" in itself, a little joke which was not cruel and which had no bad effect on anyone, seems small.

I just cannot comprehend someone going from outwardly normal to suicidal over such a trivial thing.

I also feel bad for the DJ's, who played a small prank which I wouldn't think twice about, and now have to live with this the rest of their lives.

You're right, it's me. But I can only speak from my own perception, and I find it crazy and hard to believe.

I don't think that's an obvious assumption. It's possible but it's not a must.
    Obviously we don't KNOW, but I think it's an obvious first suspicion. I'm surprised others don't.