User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Eugenics

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Not only schizophrenia.
    Interesting. So you think mental illness disappears as soon as the person gets a fistful of money?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Interesting. So you think mental illness disappears as soon as the person gets a fistful of money?
    Not exactly. The damage is already done. Call it post-trauma.
    Money will prevent future damage, though.
    Sweden is a model example.
    The fairest distribution of wealth, for 40 years. Today the lowest figures of mental illness.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The fairest distribution of wealth, for 40 years. Today the lowest figures of mental illness.
    I think there's major cultural factors which result in lower incidences of mental illness there though, also major cultural factors which result in generous welfare and state spending being eaten up by free riders and corruption.

Schizophrenia has predisposing genetic factors and inheritance but it is caused by leesions (spelling) on the brain so far as I know, not trauma, there is an alcohol induced variety too but its a little different, although it is the chemical imbalances and transformed brain and body chemistry which results in the brain injury whatever the cause of the alcoholism, which could be trauma related, an organic, physical cause for the mental illness. It would occur whatever the distribution of wealth, social stratification or economic structures.

I dont believe that having money makes for overcoming existing trauma or avoiding future trauma, in the people who I know who have had problems with mental illness cash can shorten their lives or result in them making terrible choices and having resources to.

The UK system of disability benefits for instance I've considered as some sort of "palliative" measure, that population can experience slow death and the state will bankroll it, its only been jeopardised by the fact that their neighbours who are often living miserable working lives on lower wages than they are worth are frequently jealous of the benefits their mentally challenged or distressed are doled out.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think there's major cultural factors which result in lower incidences of mental illness there though, also major cultural factors which result in generous welfare and state spending being eaten up by free riders and corruption.

Schizophrenia has predisposing genetic factors and inheritance but it is caused by leesions (spelling) on the brain so far as I know, not trauma, there is an alcohol induced variety too but its a little different, although it is the chemical imbalances and transformed brain and body chemistry which results in the brain injury whatever the cause of the alcoholism, which could be trauma related, an organic, physical cause for the mental illness. It would occur whatever the distribution of wealth, social stratification or economic structures.

I dont believe that having money makes for overcoming existing trauma or avoiding future trauma, in the people who I know who have had problems with mental illness cash can shorten their lives or result in them making terrible choices and having resources to.

The UK system of disability benefits for instance I've considered as some sort of "palliative" measure, that population can experience slow death and the state will bankroll it, its only been jeopardised by the fact that their neighbours who are often living miserable working lives on lower wages than they are worth are frequently jealous of the benefits their mentally challenged or distressed are doled out.
    It would occcur whatever the distribution of wealth .. but not in the same numbers! The statistical fact remains that schizophrenia is six times as common among the poor.

Eugenics fell into disrepute after the eugenic deeds of Hitler in 1933 - 1945.
    I am surprised they now raise that monster from the grave.

As you said, the miserable are jealous of the terrible conditions of the more miserable.
    And the rich are even more jealous of the people who live in abject poverty. They read Ayn Rand, they tea-party in golf clubs that are exclusively for the white. Racists.
    In the 30s they read Mein Kampf. They were overjoyed by the message of the Fuehrer! They were all Nazis. Many of them met Hitler.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It would occcur whatever the distribution of wealth .. but not in the same numbers! The statistical fact remains that schizophrenia is six times as common among the poor.

Eugenics fell into disrepute after the eugenic deeds of Hitler in 1933 - 1945.
    I am surprised they now raise that monster from the grave.

As you said, the miserable are jealous of the terrible conditions of the more miserable.
    And the rich are even more jealous of the people who live in abject poverty. They read Ayn Rand, they tea-party in golf clubs that are exclusively for the white. Racists.
    In the 30s they read Mein Kampf. They were overjoyed by the message of the Fuehrer! They were all Nazis. Many of them met Hitler.
    Yeah but there were a lot of things associated with Hitler that it doesnt make sense to treat as discredited as a result, they guy was an opportunistic ideologue I'd question the extent to which so called eugenics operated and whether it was simply authoritarianism and murder.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Schizophrenics in developing countries have better outcomes than those in the developed world.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah but there were a lot of things associated with Hitler that it doesnt make sense to treat as discredited as a result, they guy was an opportunistic ideologue I'd question the extent to which so called eugenics operated and whether it was simply authoritarianism and murder.
    Hitler studied a famous English author on the subject and simply put the teaching to use.
    Do you see a dividing line between Eugenics and murder? I do not.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Schizophrenics in developing countries have better outcomes than those in the developed world.
    The infrastructure serves only the rich in the developed world. It is harder to be poor.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

wow this thread really took off
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    wow this thread really took off
    The ambivalence of the OP plays a part there.
    A provocative question rather than a statement.

Eugenics. A progressive ideal of the 20th Century.
    Girls of poor families were forcefully castrated in Scandinavia and Germany.

The bill almost passed in England, prior to World War II.
    Churchill was one of the early adherents.

Eugenics is a misinterpretation of Mendel. Not Darwin.