User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    In addition to that, not all activist groups agree on methods. LulzSec for example was taken down with the assistance of other hackers who didn't approve of their lawless methods which would put thousands of accounts at risk.
    That is interesting, want to talk about this more but on mobile so it will have to wait

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I know you dont identify with this power hierarchy do you think it protects you? You're safe from becoming collateral damage?
    Let's be honest, the only ones safe are the ones at the top of the hierarchy if you're not at the center you'll be sent to war or asked to sacrifice "for the good of the community." In those times the smart ones who are "in between" have to do other things to survive and this usually involved playing both sides against one another.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Let's be honest, the only ones safe are the ones at the top of the hierarchy if you're not at the center you'll be sent to war or asked to sacrifice "for the good of the community." In those times the smart ones who are "in between" have to do other things to survive and this usually involved playing both sides against one another.
    I'm not sure what this all means, I dont believe that being on the top of the hierarchy does protect against terrorism, particularly cyberterrorism, I'm not sure that attempting to play both ends against one another will protect anyone in the middle either.

The messages that these groups such as anonymous produce are designed for no other purpose than terror or intimidation, usually they believe there's a kind of self-evident justification too which bugs me.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I'm not sure what this all means, I dont believe that being on the top of the hierarchy does protect against terrorism, particularly cyberterrorism, I'm not sure that attempting to play both ends against one another will protect anyone in the middle either.

The messages that these groups such as anonymous produce are designed for no other purpose than terror or intimidation, usually they believe there's a kind of self-evident justification too which bugs me.
    No, they're designed to attack values that you are attached to which is different. Hacktivists are not a monolith a lot of them just do it to express discontent or to have a laugh and a lot of them actually believe in whatever causes they support. You don't understand the mindset of Anonymous, basically at its core is the concept of seeing the human race as a "digital brain" a collective entity that is We. In other words, they think that if the causes you promote are based on advancing your preferred religion, sex, class, race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc then you are harming the global brain and thus you are opened to be attacked because your interests are disruptive to the collective I which is Anonymous. This is part of why you hate trolls and why trolls love places like 4chan etc because they are allowed to express their aggression in a way which their community sees as prosocial.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Dont care if its offensive, its my opinion and there's grounds for making the connection.

The prescence of greater evils doesnt nullify the nature of what I'm talking about either, that sort of diversion tactic is pretty much a derail, relativistic thinking like that prevents any real thinking at all because there will always be a greater or different threat.

It has always been around but now it is organising with a platform for which there is presumed legitimacy and popular mandate. That is different.
    Ok, fine. Let me re-frame it. Since we are talking about hacktivism, let us talk about corporate and government responsibility.

1: Why is it that companies aren't willing to spend extra resources to secure themselves? It is not that hard to create a secure website. Maybe not against an onslaught of DDOS attacks, but it is better to keep information safe than to have your site bombarded by people taking information. The single most important thing you can do for your site is to allow for encryption so that any information passed through is kept near "secret."

2: Why is "critical" information/infrastructures in such a structure when a separate structure should be made for them? (I.E. Power plants, water facilities, etc.) Why are we developing extra resources to combat this when we can build a whole new structure that would be in place of this "critical" information?

For the first one, not all sites have chosen to encrypt their sites and make it forcibly harder to get into. Not all people have informed themselves in how to interact with parts of the WWW.

For the second one, for anyone scared about any of that occurring, the most simple solution is to create a separate infrastructure for those facilities away from the WWW.

Unless they are willing to address these problems first, hacking and viruses will always go hand in hand with fear-mongering. Many companies don't want to protect their own information because it cost more money and to create a separate structure for them would cost those same companies that own these "easily" breakable structures more money. Not to mention how much groups like the Chamber of Commerce has fought tooth and nail against such regulation.