First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Is that based on income or overall value of the person?

Most millionaires will have their money in various funds and often recorded as profits rather than as a wage they pay themselves...

IDK...I know many Doctrs...not in the US admittedly but in other ocuntries...and none are in the top 1% of their society..top 25%, 10% maybe...
    That article describes it. Net Worth which is correlated to a high degree with past/present income.

You might live in a country where there is socialized medicine and yes it would not be the same there as it is in the US.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Are the Rich Evil?
    No.

Is kool-aid bad for you?

Yes.

They have a greater ability than most when it comes to influence, yes.

Evil? That depends, those in "certain" industries and job titles(note CEOs more likely) are going to find ways, whether legal or illegal, to get up ahead and get paid big bucks. In most cases, it is easier to manipulate your way to the top than it is to do it the "moral" way. In some cases, it is easier to manipulate a law in your favor, than it is to abide by a law. And it is easier to influence those with influence than it is for ordinary people.

And for those talking about the 1%, It would be more like the .1% or something. I don't remember the exact figures... a lot of the income has practically been pushed into that small area in recent decades. Generally, the middle class extends to some place around the 99% and gets cuts off there. Greenspan used it to manipulate the top 10 percentile to look like the public was doing well as a whole (but it was only that small portion that was doing well.)

Manipulation it is.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Is that based on income or overall value of the person?

Most millionaires will have their money in various funds and often recorded as profits rather than as a wage they pay themselves...

IDK...I know many Doctrs...not in the US admittedly but in other ocuntries...and none are in the top 1% of their society..top 25%, 10% maybe...
    Doctor compensation is higher (on average) in the US than elsewhere in the world, but there is massive variation in the US depending on the specialty. Some specialties (like GI) are money makers. Some (like endocrinology) are not. This is actually dictated by how insurance companies and the government (Medicare) pay out. What is most beneficial to the patient and society is often not well compensated. What is most profitable is what the patient tends to get, and that is often not what is most beneficial. As a result, the doctors who earn the most money tend to be the ones who put their own interests ahead of their patients. Of course, they'll never admit this. They've convinced themselves (mental gymnastics) they're acting in their patients' best interests.

My point as it relates to this thread? Doctors who make a LOT of money are more likely to be "evil" than those who don't.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i thnk i heard someone who was rich ranting on about how the rich votes should be more because they bring more to the table but poor should not have anything because they do nothing.

so, not all rich are evil but there are plenty of evil bastards to go around.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's a stupid documentary full of non-sequiturs and strawmen.

That is not to say it does not contain many important facts and fine arguments, but they're mixed with so much noxious bullshit and sloppy reasoning that it's likely to mislead rather than educate.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What is rich?
    It's not boolean. Rather, the wealthier the sampled population gets, the higher the rate of unethical behavior. So a question about where one is officially rich doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What is rich?
    Are doctors rich? Many people would say so. They're in that top 1%. Are they unethical and is that why they make a lot of money? Or is it they are economically advantaged because they busted their ass going to school and in their residency until they were 30 years old? Maybe it's the lawyers - those evil people.[/QUOTE]

Why the dichotomy? How about both?

Anyhow, I feel like you're framing my position and that of the OP as over-simplified and over the top. Doctors aren't all a bunch of evil bastards because they are rich. Some people are unethical all the time and all the people are unethical some of the time, and when we're analyzing demographics we're simply talking about probabilities, you know? We're talking about means, medians, and modes of sampled behavior. I'm sure there are plenty of upstanding doctors, and how knows, maybe amongst the wealth doctors are a more ethical cohort. None of this would actually mean the research is inaccurate.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's not boolean. Rather, the wealthier the sampled population gets, the higher the rate of unethical behavior. So a question about where one is officially rich doesn't matter.
    Where does it say that? If that was a statement made in the show, I didn't hear it. There was an article referenced by Salome but I haven't seen it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Doctor compensation is higher (on average) in the US than elsewhere in the world, but there is massive variation in the US depending on the specialty. Some specialties (like GI) are money makers. Some (like endocrinology) are not. This is actually dictated by how insurance companies and the government (Medicare) pay out. What is most beneficial to the patient and society is often not well compensated. What is most profitable is what the patient tends to get, and that is often not what is most beneficial. As a result, the doctors who earn the most money tend to be the ones who put their own interests ahead of their patients. Of course, they'll never admit this. They've convinced themselves (mental gymnastics) they're acting in their patients' best interests.

My point as it relates to this thread? Doctors who make a LOT of money are more likely to be "evil" than those who don't.
    It depends on the specialty more than anything else. Surgeons are the one making the most money.

http://www.profilesdatabase.com/reso...-salary-survey

They do lose all that income during their 20s and tend to have pretty large loans by the end of school.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

It depends on the specialty more than anything else. Surgeons are the ones making the most money. Of course they do procedures. In the US, they all take the Hippocratic oath in which they swear to practice medicine ethically and honestly. I don't know a lot of professions where people are required to do something like that.

http://www.profilesdatabase.com/reso...-salary-survey

They do lose all that income during their 20s and tend to have pretty large loans by the end of school.

Edit: Sorry - I just read your post above. Of course you know all these things I just said. I still am having a hard time with what you're saying. I think in the surgeons that are the the best in the profession probably do pretty well.

I guess the key point of all of this is that doctors are one example of a class of people in that high income group and it seems preposterous to me that one would say they are less ethical than your average person driving a fork lift.

Tri-type 639