User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 64

  1. #11
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I AM saying, however, that both money and lack thereof can both corrupt...
    Pretty much this.....its just more socially acceptable to exaggerate and stigmatize this tendency among the rich.

  2. #12
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Pretty much this.....its just more socially acceptable to exaggerate and stigmatize this tendency among the rich.
    that's because they don't commit NEARLY as interesting of crimes to the average public most of the time!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #13
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not only that, the physicians who make the least amount of money are those who have the greatest breadth of knowledge (primary care, internal medicine, etc). Primary care physicians do not make as much as the general public realizes once you factor in student loan and malpractice insurance costs. Specialties are where the money is at, and they make their money by doing as many procedures as possible.
    "The 99th to 99.5th percentiles largely include physicians, attorneys, upper middle management, and small business people who have done well."

    http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica...t_manager.html

    Realize that it is very difficult and competitive to get into those specialties you mention. The medical students that go into primary care and internal medicine are not on the higher rungs of the medical school class. The ones that get into those specialties are.

    Most would not want the lifestyle of a surgeon and very few would do what it takes to get there.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  4. #14
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    With respect to the poor people who aren't making enough money to support themselves and are living with the support of food stamps, I think this is less about a bunch of rich people holding them down and more about a global economy and increased competitiveness. Goods are manufactured where people will work for less money. Unless the cost of transporting the goods increases to a point where it is more feasible to manufacture them locally, work will continue to be sent offshore.

    So let me get this straight: it’s not people making the choice to manufacture where labor is cheaper, it’s the global economy making this choice, and until global economy chooses to make it more feasible to manufacture locally then the poor people who aren’t making enough money to support themselves are screwed……but it’s not the choices rich people make holding the poor people down? It’s the…..choices of global economy?


    I do think the problematic is often oversimplified as the 1% being wholly responsible, though. I think a large part of the problem is that businesses are run unethically because people will continue to buy goods for cheaper regardless of how ethical the means. So long as much of the 99% continues to shop where the prices are low- without paying a whole lot of attention to exactly why the prices are low and/or where they could spend their consumer vote to support more ethically run businesses- all the bitching about corporations and the 1% aren’t going to put a dent in the problem. [It is hard though, if you work more than full time to support a family- with all the work that goes into paying attention to that family (children, their schoolwork)- because figuring out exactly where to spend your consumer vote wisely can be almost a full time job in itself. And unfortunately it's so socially acceptable to just go to Walmart or get the cheapest goods possible I don't think most people begin to realize the importance of being mindful about it.] There needs to be a bigger stigma on the end of the consumer, I think, for things to change (instead of directing all the blame/animosity at 'the rich').
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  5. #15
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    So let me get this straight: it’s not people making the choice to manufacture where labor is cheaper, it’s the global economy making this choice, and until global economy chooses to make it more feasible to manufacture locally then the poor people who aren’t making enough money to support themselves are screwed……but it’s not the choices rich people make holding the poor people down? It’s the…..choices of global economy?
    I'd say that's about right. People in the US have lived a privileged life compared to many areas of the world and economic privilege is sustainable only to the extent that the economics work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I do think the problematic is often oversimplified as the 1% being wholly responsible, though. I think a large part of the problem is that businesses are run unethically because people will continue to buy goods for cheaper regardless of how ethical the means. So long as much of the 99% continues to shop where the prices are low- without paying a whole lot of attention to exactly why the prices are low and/or where they could spend their consumer vote to support more ethically run businesses- all the bitching about corporations and the 1% aren’t going to put a dent in the problem. [It is hard though, if you work more than full time to support a family- with all the work that goes into paying attention to that family (children, their schoolwork)- because figuring out exactly where to spend your consumer vote wisely can be almost a full time job in itself. And unfortunately it's so socially acceptable to just go to Walmart or get the cheapest goods possible I don't think most people begin to realize the importance of being mindful about it.] There needs to be a bigger stigma on the end of the consumer, I think, for things to change (instead of directing all the blame/animosity at 'the rich').
    Right - Nobody makes us shop at Wal-Mart. We choose that on our own. We individually and collectively drove the local businesses out of business - the town clothing store and camera shop and grocery store and pharmacy and diner and sports store and hardware store, etc. Corporations have taken it all over. Regardless as to who runs them, the modern corporation roughly equals the personality of a sociopath:

    - no sense of responsibility
    - inability to form meaningful relationships
    - lack of moral sense
    - chronically antisocial behavior
    - no change in behavior after punishment
    - lack of guilt
    - self-centeredness

    Now there I see some evil.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #16
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    "The 99th to 99.5th percentiles largely include physicians, attorneys, upper middle management, and small business people who have done well."

    http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica...t_manager.html

    Realize that it is very difficult and competitive to get into those specialties you mention. The medical students that go into primary care and internal medicine are not on the higher rungs of the medical school class. The ones that get into those specialties are.

    Most would not want the lifestyle of a surgeon and very few would do what it takes to get there.
    Thanks for pointing this out. This has informed me so much more than observing as my wife went through medical school.

    Do you have a point?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What is rich?

    Are doctors rich? Many people would say so. They're in that top 1%. Are they unethical and is that why they make a lot of money? Or is it they are economically advantaged because they busted their ass going to school and in their residency until they were 30 years old? Maybe it's the lawyers - those evil people.
    I don't think Doctors are in the top 1%, you would have to be a multi-millionaire at least to be in the top 1% of society surely...

    But anyway to answer the OP: I don't have any problem with the rich. In the West we live better than any people at any time in history. I would rather be unequally rich in the west than equally poor like Cuba. Free markets are the only guarantee of individual liberty.

    Also if the poor are able to organize themselves to create a fairer system, then they will have deserved it. If not, they don't deserve it, so why worry about them? Nobody is entitled to anything you're only entitled to what you can build for yourself.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Rich people are self preservation first pigs who only look after themselves and their own interests as they horde away everything from those truly in need!

    I'm not being serious, though it sure is good fun, creating challenges for things most people would dare not oppose, something us social firsts thrive on!

  9. #19
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I don't think Doctors are in the top 1%, you would have to be a multi-millionaire at least to be in the top 1% of society surely...
    They are.
    Read this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    "The 99th to 99.5th percentiles largely include physicians, attorneys, upper middle management, and small business people who have done well."

    http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica...t_manager.html

    Realize that it is very difficult and competitive to get into those specialties you mention. The medical students that go into primary care and internal medicine are not on the higher rungs of the medical school class. The ones that get into those specialties are.

    Most would not want the lifestyle of a surgeon and very few would do what it takes to get there.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    They are.
    Read this post.
    Is that based on income or overall value of the person?

    Most millionaires will have their money in various funds and often recorded as profits rather than as a wage they pay themselves...

    IDK...I know many Doctrs...not in the US admittedly but in other countries...and none are in the top 1% of their society..top 25%, 10% maybe...

Similar Threads

  1. Cognition: Are the Functions Hierarchal?
    By Mempy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
  2. The Lives of Secret Twins of the Rich and Famous
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
  3. [NT] Which type are the best cards players...
    By Maha Raj in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
  4. What are the emoticons saying?
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
  5. Celebrating the Rich Inner Life
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO