User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default People who don't watch the news

This question is to get advice.

My dilemma: I am so sick of the media. They disgust me with they way they sensationalize every thing and no one has any privacy. I really don't want to know half or more of the stuff they report. It's caused me to stop reading and watching the news, but the problem with that is that I don't always know when important things happen right away. Every time I try to fix that by keeping abreast with the news, I end up feeling disgusted again. I don't know how to remedy this. Any advice?

I wish I had someone in my life who can just tell me asap when something big happens.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can't stomach watching the news. I just check out the headlines on Yahoo and HuffPost. If something looks interesting or important, I'll read it. Granted I don't live in a haven of intellectuals, but as far as I can tell, I'm as well-informed as other people who are not news junkies.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, shortly after Michael Jackson died, people on this side were heckling his life. That is a pretty fast response time.

So you can probably trust if it is big news (Michael Jackson, a hurricane, or a national election), we will cover it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can't stomach watching the news. I just check out the headlines on Yahoo and HuffPost. If something looks interesting or important, I'll read it. Granted I don't live in a haven of intellectuals, but as far as I can tell, I'm as well-informed as other people who are not news junkies.
    Well, I scan Internet news, listen to the radio during my commute, and scan a weekly news mag; and I seem to know more than many other people... which is kind of sad. This includes my kids and my ex, who seem to know almost nothing about the outer world, news-related.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Redefine the 'important' in "important things". Consider that if something is truly important someone will ask you if you've heard about it, and tell you about it if you haven't. Everything else is just fluff, to one degree or another.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I rarely watch the news. Still, I'm subscribed on the fb channel of a pretty good brazilian journal, so I get to read the most important stuff.

Also some not very important stuff, but still curious like ''Imprisoned who reads Dostoyevsky to be released on Monday''.

No ''guy killed wife because she caught her cheating''. Screw them.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Find better news outlets.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Are there "non-fluffy" news outlets?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The news to me is like a matrix, keeping people trapped in this illusion that they play a significant role in the workings of the world when, in actuality, they are trapped, along with everyone else, in a system that controls the flow of information, causing us to dance as puppets attached to strings, like for example when the twin towers went down everyone, like a stack of dominos, starts freaking out in a big chain reaction, even if those building have absolutely nothing to do with their lives, swarming like a hive of insects into a frenzy, along with all the rest of the stupid multitudes.

This is why I prefer to divert my attention away fom the pop culture hype, such as the news, and into more rational concerns, like the future fate of humanity from the cosmic perspective, as well as the ultimate destiny of the Universe at large. Instead of wondering about who's in charge, we should be asking why we are even here, what our purpose is, and how we can catalyze our further evolution and development, in order to maximize our acheivements, and drive ever onwards, towards the destination of complete self mastery.

@Giggly
    I skip watching the news completely unless there is something I consider major to have happen. In fact, I'm not really that much of a T.V. person anymore.

The news I generally get is all over the net, and not always from your typical tv news channels. That way, I get tons of information and I can skip the fluff.

When news sites do report fluff, it is because they don't have anything in particular to report on (or they don't want to report on it) and need something to fill the time until then.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This question is to get advice.

My dilemma: I am so sick of the media. They disgust me with they way they sensationalize every thing and no one has any privacy. I really don't want to know half or more of the stuff they report. It's caused me to stop reading and watching the news, but the problem with that is that I don't always know when important things happen right away. Every time I try to fix that by keeping abreast with the news, I end up feeling disgusted again. I don't know how to remedy this. Any advice?

I wish I had someone in my life who can just tell me asap when something big happens.

Just watch The Daily Show. If it's important, they'll be making fun of it.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.