User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Maybe not but I dont think that the rate of reoffending is the only criteria by which to judge these things, not by a country mile, unless legitimate authorities can provide satisfaction to the population which individuals have offended against an illegitimate or less legitimate one will replace them, nothing surer, the justice gets forgotten and revenge or retribution and violence takes its place.
    Pretty much this. In German a prison sentence is called Freiheitsstrafe - freedom penalty - because the punishment is the withdrawel of freedom. The state is withdrawing a citizen's freedom for a certain period of time. During that time the state is responsible for the prisoner's basic means (good, shelter, medical attention, etc). The prisoner still has a right to dignity (article 1 of the constitution: "The dignity of man is unalienable. It is the obligation of all state powers to respect it and support it")
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Pretty much this. In German a prison sentence is called Freiheitsstrafe - freedom penalty - because the punishment is the withdrawel of freedom. The state is withdrawing a citizen's freedom for a certain period of time. During that time the state is responsible for the prisoner's basic means (good, shelter, medical attention, etc). The prisoner still has a right to dignity (article 1 of the constitution: "The dignity of man is unalienable. It is the obligation of all state powers to respect it and support it")
    the loss of freedom and loss of time is harsh enough, the years could never be reclaimed. i know a guy that missed out on his twenties and early thirties and when he got out, everyone he knew had already progressed forward in their lives, while he is trying to play catch up. he missed out on love, he missed out on those other awesome possibilities that come with freedom. at least a vet when they come back, they would be looked at as noble, respected. its something that if a person wants to, can become a full career in which you can switch gears into other professions, should they decide.

when he was younger, he sold pot and was growing it i think. i feel pretty bad for him in a way

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Ha! Communist states in America!!

I know, its not that way, I just find that amusing. Everywhere else in the world blue is the colour of conservatism and red the colour of radicalism, in Dennis Wheatley's occult novels red was the colour of the satanists and blue the colour of the white magicians.
    yea, i know. red is republican and thus conservatism. which here where im at is becoming a toxic word. i think i read on here that conservatism in america, is much different in europe. someone on the forum said it, im not sure who. think it might have been you.