User Tag List

Default Personal responsibility vs. Social responsibility

In what way and to what extent do you think the balance is to be struck between personal and social responsibility?

I'll give you an example, I went to a local park which used to have a "trim trail", a forest walk/run which had a lot of gymnastic equipment around it, balance bars, climbing pole etc. it now has a smaller quadrant near the entrance which is free of balance beams or pull up bars because these are "ligature points", the idea being that the built environment should make accidents, suicide or anything like it impossible.

Is it fair or a good idea that the built environment should prioritise a socially responsible paradigm like this one, everyone accepts that their environment will be structured in such a way to protect people from themselves even if it disadvantages them?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I just don't get it. If someone wants to commit suicide, he will find a way. As for the accidents, most of them are results of irresponsible behavior - something that, in my opinion, should remain dangerous. Otherwise there's no end to making things more and more "safe", because people will just compensate by being less careful.

Trying to protect mature, adult people from themselves will, in the long run, turn them into lemmings. And if it's about parents worrying about their childrens safety, they shouldn't leave them in such places unsupervised.

That was the pragmatic reason. Now a philosophical one. I think that every person should have a right to experience the consequences of their mistakes. It's part of our freedom and it's the means of gaining life experience. Denying people this right can leave them mentally crippled. And this "protecting people from themselves" is too often used by governments as an excuse for taking away our freedoms.

I used to be a fan of Darwin Awards, and I still agree with their spirit, but seeing people harm themselves only makes me sad now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3k View Post
    I just don't get it. If someone wants to commit suicide, he will find a way. As for the accidents, most of them are results of irresponsible behavior - something that, in my opinion, should remain dangerous. Otherwise there's no end to making things more and more "safe", because people will just compensate by being less careful.

Trying to protect mature, adult people from themselves will, in the long run, turn them into lemmings. And if it's about parents worrying about their childrens safety, they shouldn't leave them in such places unsupervised.

That was the pragmatic reason. Now a philosophical one. I think that every person should have a right to experience the consequences of their mistakes. It's part of our freedom and it's the means of gaining life experience. Denying people this right can leave them mentally crippled. And this "protecting people from themselves" is too often used by governments as an excuse for taking away our freedoms.

I used to be a fan of Darwin Awards, and I still agree with their spirit, but seeing people harm themselves only makes me sad now.
    I believe absolutely in the development of consequential thinking and consequentialism as philosophical first principle.

However, do you believe that consequential thinking necessarily follows from experience? Is it intuitive or innate? Is there a social consequence and cost to others if an individual does not possess or have developed consequential thinking skills? If the government or other firms act in a patneralistic manner could it not have a benefit to everyone else living alongside that population of individuals who are not thinking consequentially?

I am undecided on this topic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't know if that's what you're asking about, but anyway. I'm inclined to think that the skill is innate, but you still need at least some experience to put it to good use. If we couldn't make out patterns from events, no amount of experience would help, but the skill alone would also be useless without any data to use it on.

Most of your questions are a bit too general for me, hard to give a meaningful answer shorter than few pages long.