9 so/sx

Default Ninjas facing extinction

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ayup, that's just what they'd WANT us to think, isn't it?

... in fact, maybe there's a ninja looking over your shoulder RIGHT THIS SECOND.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

The spirit of Ninja persists in many.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

But seriously, it's time.. Its a very awesome piece of history--but we don't have knights anymore either as amazing as they were. The article said it best here: "The mystery has gone even before the last ninja has died."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

But seriously, it's time.. Its a very awesome piece of history--but we don't have knights anymore either as amazing as they were. The article said it best here: "The mystery has gone even before the last ninja has died."

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

In a certain sense yes sure, although I remember when I was at primary school (about ten or eleven) reading a big book in the school library about mythical monsters and myths in general and it had a chapter on ninjas, suggesting they never ever existed in any sense.

So at secondary school, fourteen probably, I asked a history teacher who told me the same thing actually and I went on research it myself, I've still got an interest in ninjas but overtime its expanded to an interest in diplomacy, martial theory and medieval warfare as it was fought in the "limited warfare" way of Japan and China.

I actually think that the quasi-mysterious "schools" of ninjitsu, including the costumes and some of the weapons, were fabrications, both by the potential victims, by the potential users of thieves and assasins in an anti-diplomatic or esponiage capacity and, well, pretty much everyone. The tales of great warriors with special abilities or weapons transcend everything and everyplace.

The idea of thieves and assasins guilds in western myth and legend I think is similar, I dont mean the actual existing conflict and rackets between gangs of orangised beggars or criminals but the quasi-mythical idea of a regulated, singular operation.

So from the beginning there were lies and distortions, although I do believe that there will be a sense in which ninjitsu as in this article and ninjas in its true sense will continue and be perrenial, perhaps under different names.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But seriously, it's time.. Its a very awesome piece of history--but we don't have knights anymore either as amazing as they were.
    Oh we still have knights, they're just engaged in drug trafficking in Mexico now, instead of fighting in the Holy Land.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh we still have knights, they're just engaged in drug trafficking in Mexico now, instead of fighting in the Holy Land.
    This thread wins so hard..

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In a certain sense yes sure, although I remember when I was at primary school (about ten or eleven) reading a big book in the school library about mythical monsters and myths in general and it had a chapter on ninjas, suggesting they never ever existed in any sense.

So at secondary school, fourteen probably, I asked a history teacher who told me the same thing actually and I went on research it myself, I've still got an interest in ninjas but overtime its expanded to an interest in diplomacy, martial theory and medieval warfare as it was fought in the "limited warfare" way of Japan and China.

I actually think that the quasi-mysterious "schools" of ninjitsu, including the costumes and some of the weapons, were fabrications, both by the potential victims, by the potential users of thieves and assasins in an anti-diplomatic or esponiage capacity and, well, pretty much everyone. The tales of great warriors with special abilities or weapons transcend everything and everyplace.

The idea of thieves and assasins guilds in western myth and legend I think is similar, I dont mean the actual existing conflict and rackets between gangs of orangised beggars or criminals but the quasi-mythical idea of a regulated, singular operation.

So from the beginning there were lies and distortions, although I do believe that there will be a sense in which ninjitsu as in this article and ninjas in its true sense will continue and be perrenial, perhaps under different names.
    The Ninja did exist and they had secret clans. They did do espionage, night attacks, set fire to stuff.

They weren't mystical of course, and they probably weren't even great fighters. They used kusarigama and kunai and such not because they're special ninja weapons, but because they're made from farming tools and they could carry them around without being questioned as much. They probably wore normal clothes and looked like regular people most often. There were some samurai - even famous ones - that also doubled as ninja.

Sniffles

Those Ninja clans related to the Yamabushi practiced mysticism in many ways.