User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Amanda Todd

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    There is nothing remarkable about this case. Alert me when the next one with a 1,900-page suicide manifesto goes public.
    This.

MBTI
    ISTP

There is nothing remarkable about this case. Alert me when the next one with a 1,900-page suicide manifesto goes public.
    This is the saddest part of the whole thread.

If false, the disregard for this situation is horrible (and can be seen by the comments so far)...

If true, the disregard for the overall issue is horrible, and I include the whole range of general disregard all the way to slut shaming and projection.

---

I have nothing to say in particular about the situation that shouldn't be obvious. Sad overall, but especially sad when she didn't get the help she needed with the first two attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

If false, the disregard for this situation is horrible (and can be seen by the comments so far)...

If true, the disregard for the overall issue is horrible, and I include the whole range of general disregard all the way to slut shaming and projection.
    I am not contesting the horribleness of the situation. I am merely pointing out that it is already common and will become even more so in the future.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

A truly unfortunate situation. I wish she had had someone to talk too, someone to help her
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have nothing to say in particular about the situation that shouldn't be obvious. Sad overall, but especially sad when she didn't get the help she needed with the first two attempts.
    Same here. And a shame that her peers basically goaded her on to end her life / contributed to her misery. So pointless, such a waste, and now there are those who are suffering because of losing her. Yes, such a waste. This is a person who might have gone on to live another 60 years, raising a family, contributing to the world (or maybe not, who knows?); but in any case, such a pointless ending.

I think I already discussed it to death on another forum, when it happened, though.

I still don't get the pack mentality of sucking in people, using them, spitting them out, and then compelling them to self-terminate. I mean, I guess I was invisible in high school, my worst period of being bullied was middle-school, but I outlasted them and they got caught up in other things. I guess if I had truly needed to be "part of things" then maybe it would have been different.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If I were her parent, I'd have picked up and moved countries after having tech-savvy people help me eliminate as much digital data as possible from the internet.. Seriously, if it meant keeping my girl, I'd have sold my house, car, and belongings to pay for lawyers to press charges on every single person that hurt her. I don't understand where the parents were in this...

As far as responses in the thread. Apathy is a contagious disease.. and one I want to take no part in. A girl lost her life, basically, because society thinks that 'sluts' deserve to die? And everyone just rolls their eyes.

Sure, its one of several cases... But that part should be the part that alarms, not becomes common sense. How long are we going to put all of the responsibility on the victim? Humans are social creatures... we surely fall apart when our societies are lost to us.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

---

Thirded. The whole atmosphere of the thread defined the thoughtless disregard that contributed to her loneliness and self-loathing.

And the slut-shaming, oh, it really gets me. If you suffer the women of your culture to be defined more by their sex appeal than any facet of their personhood or humanity, and their own personal sexuality--the same innate urges and desires you unaccountably allow yourself but deny to them--to be subjugated and ignored, and then punish them for behaving in ways which your ignorance and self-interest cannot abide, it's fair to say that you first fail women utterly, and then punish them for having been repeatedly and hopelessly failed.

This girl was failed--not just in this but in many other, equally pointless, equally unjustifiable ways--and then remorselessly punished for her pain.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Permabanned

I'm writing my suicide manifesto as we speak. It'll be an 80 year project, if I can quit the cigs, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I'm writing my suicide manifesto as we speak. It'll be an 80 year project, if I can quit the cigs, that is.
    I won't be around to read it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bilateral Entry View Post
    What's interesting are all the people who are talking shit about her. I'm sure a quick google search of "Amanda Todd" will yield you lots of results. If you can't find any I can find it for you and link it. They say a lot of bad shit about her. The logic goes something like: "Showed tits + had sex with a taken guy = slut = deserved to die, or brought everything upon herself". Or maybe they have no sympathy for suicide whatsoever. I saw comments/pix communicating a message along the lines of "she lives in a first world country. she is not entitled to be suicidal when so many other people are suffering". Although, the commentary and teasing are far more demeaning than the way I describe it.
    World as is despises vulnerability, people despise it in themselves whether they are conscious or unconscious about it, they definitely despise it in others and its definitely very pronounced among younger people.

Hearts have been hardened to suffering.