4w5

Default Balance the Federal Budget November 2012

Solve the issue:

Revenue - expenses - deficit reduction = 0

Rules:

1. It cannot strictly be reduction of expenses
    2. There must be direct revenue increase through taxation
    3. There must be deficit payback

Of course, these rules are my opinion...feel free to ignore the rules if you can make it balance.

As far as I heard, you must make up a 43% deficit gap. Should you cut 43% from each program?

How would you do it?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm not putting forward a plan here right now, but I wanted to put this wiki article here for reference.

United States Public Debt

The biggest thing I want to draw attention to is that there are so many categories of the deficit, and so many ways to measure them, that it often makes this debate very confusing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Limit benefits of social programs to those at 130% of the Federal poverty level and under (excluding disabled persons).

Fix the pentagon's ridiculous contract procurement program.

Reevaluate the need for the number of foreign land bases we have.

Shift the focus to force projection via Naval craft. Improve our ability to conduct 4th generation warfare in a multilateral way (basically don't act like the military can serve as an occupational police force when they're trained to kill the enemy).

Increase the incentives for interbranch cooperation within the military, with a specific focus on financial efficiency within project development.

We need a complete top to bottom rethink of our legislative paradigm, in an effort to make our laws relevant, effective and efficient in the 21st century.

Utilize a VAT and limit deductions to some pre established amount.

Make our corporate tax structure internationally competitive.

There's a lot more, but thats a start.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

make the tax code an exponential function keep deductions to charity, but cap them at $10 mill get rid of everything else
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

reducing the hell out of military spending would go a long way, I'd imagine.

(disclaimer: not american)
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I always think its curious that people go immediately to cutting welfare spending, specifically unemployment or disability benefits payments when those things are miniscule parts of any nation state's budget, I'd support cutting those things but definitely not for reasons of deficit reduction and balanced budgets, for cultural reasons and I'd support spending elsewhere which would be effectively a rise in state expenditure.

To be honest, Clinton balanced the budget, did a better job than any conservative in history of the US and this was supposed to be the "new" consensus but conservatives when they got into office did not maintain the consensus and spent all the accumulated surpluses and maxed out the deficit once more, I saw good cartoons, I think its Dooseburry?, which had conservative spokesperson cartoons saying that they needed to do so in order to prevent future liberals changing or expanding the scope of government or changing public expectations of government with the money that they had accumulated. It was dirty tactics.

In the UK Gordon Brown sold the gold reserves and left a deficit for incoming conservatives in the same manner, a lot of people didnt realise this was politics and bought the conservative idea that it was squanderous spend thrift by his labour government, but Brown was trying to move the centre ground to the left by compelling whatever government got into office to not simply cut spending but also raise taxes. So far the conservatives have held out but in all seriousness everyone from the EU to the IMF have told the its bad policy. They've been able to convince the public, which has become neo-liberal and always was anti-EU that its the EU and spend thrift government which are to blame for all their woes and not bankers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

It would help, unfortunately that won't be enough in the long run. Medicare is the real budget buster and it's going to get progressively worse as more baby boomers retire. I view the US budget problem as a demographic problem more than anything else. These entitlements were designed based upon a particular age distribution and the US just doesn't have that age distribution anymore, and it's going to get worse.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE

Default US Government Spending - Fiscal Year 2013 in $ millions

Here is a chart I created in excel using data from the federal budget office. Estimated 2013 budget.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ that looks like it took a while.