User Tag List

Thread: Walmart strikes

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Walmart strikes

I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this yet. Some Walmart employees have actually managed to organize some strikes, and there are more planned in the near future. I was surprised to hear about this because Walmart expends significant resources doing everything it can to keep its laborers from organizing against it.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171299...riday-protest#

Walmart is fighting back, of course, basically claiming that workers don't have a right to organize.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MGBV920121117
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Walmart is fighting back, of course, basically claiming that workers don't have a right to organize.
    At this point, they're pretty close to right.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I really don't see what is being the pinpointed target here.. The workers are clearly after something.. but is it low pay? Shit benefits? apathetic management? the fact that wal-mart is trying to ruin their employees' holidays with consumerism priorities?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I really don't see what is being the pinpointed target here.. The workers are clearly after something.. but is it low pay? Shit benefits? apathetic management? the fact that wal-mart is trying to ruin their employees' holidays with consumerism priorities?
    Higher wages, more hours, more reliable hours, health care benefits. Walmart deliberately keeps many employees below full time even though those employees want full time work. Basically, Walmart does everything it can to keep its employees as powerless as possible. As a result, many employees are on public assistance...the government picks up the tab.

I'm on the side of the employees here. The balance of power between labor and capital has swung well over to capital's side over the last few decades. We need a better balance. Neither side should dominate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

FigerPuppet

About time Walmart had a taste of trade unions. Their workers' conditions are completely unacceptable. Too bad they're still allowed to fire someone on the basis of them being a member of a union. In the past, whole Walmarts have - like some village on the Eastern Front - been purged of workers, only because management had suspicions of a growing union and because they're easily replaceable. It's distasteful that most of their fellow citizens are just letting it happen. Mobilize for workers' rights. Retail cannot be outsourced to China, so Walmart apologists cannot use that old chestnut as an argument for the status quo. The median American has between 3 and 6.3 miles to a Walmart; it's not going to hurt much that some of them have to shut down - most of you are forced to have cars anyway due to lousy infrastructure. There are, of course, the workers who are afraid to lose their jobs, and as a result actively fight against a change in conditions. Yes, it's inevitable that some people are going to lose their jobs, but it doesn't have to be you, and it will be blood spilt for a great cause. I realize this may be seen as a weak argument to someone who has no other alternative than Walmart, but the fact that the person has no other alternative just means that he will most likely be working for Walmart some time again the future, and this time under humane circumstances.

Look past your own nose.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Walmart would die a horrbile death if it became unionized by any of the major unions in this country. I don't know how your unions are, but our big ones are VERY irrational and demand way way too much. Despite what you may believe, nobody would win under the unionization of walmart. Walmart would lose massive amounts of profit, and prices would cease to be WALMART prices (and this whole concept may be lost on you, not sure if they have huge budget shopping centers in your country).

I don't agree with them opening so early this holiday, but damn man, there sure are A LOT of people who'd very much like to work any hours just to have a job and make some money right now. A lot of people without jobs who'd gladly do it. And yet, I still wish the companies in this country would stop commercializing our holidays and traditions to such an extent, and wish the consumers themselves wouldn't demand it...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Higher wages, more hours, more reliable hours, health care benefits. Walmart deliberately keeps many employees below full time even though those employees want full time work. Basically, Walmart does everything it can to keep its employees as powerless as possible. As a result, many employees are on public assistance...the government picks up the tab.

I'm on the side of the employees here. The balance of power between labor and capital has swung well over to capital's side over the last few decades. We need a better balance. Neither side should dominate.
    What really irks me is the amount of money the company 'donates' to local charities, schools, organizations, etc. yet they cannot find coin in their pocket for the employees. I'm not a damn business major, but I do know that if you take care of employees they take care of you.

Luckily for me we're not participating in black friday this year so I hope they do protest. Convenient for all of us. .. Except walmart. Not really convenient for them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge