User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 50 States Petitioning for Secession

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    of course it's symbolic probably for most of them... there will be a couple of your obvious anti-everything fuckwads who want to live in cabins in the wilderness and eschew all modern comforts... sort of conservative anarcho-primitivists or something... who are serious, but most people realize it's a terrible idea
    What did you just call me?

More whining that will be quieted with apathy and the need to focus on the micro-tasks at hand due to the shit economy calling to their attention.

Texas always talks about their ability to secede. We won't.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

You should look through the names and locations of the people who signed. The are not all from the state that supposedly wants to leave, and when you look at a few petitions, even a cursory glance will show the same people on the petitions for different states. (I won't post names, but I picked three names of non-residents and the checked the TX and LA petitions and all three showed up on both, even though none of the three were from Texas or Louisianna. Do the experiment yourself)

This seems like a lame way to amplify ones own influence on the nation, and if taken seriously would only lead to more government bureaucracy and waste.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

You can't say 50 states petitioned this. People in all 50 states did. That could be as many as... 50 people, or 1 in 6 million

Thief in the Night Array Bilateral Entry's Avatar
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wonder if all the predictions of the US being about twenty years away from a civil war are for real.
    LOL no way. Not unless everyone really wants that, which I don't think people want.

The funniest part about this is that they are asking to secede.

If you have the right and desire to secede you tell, you don't ask.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

^^IKR? Like, "mommy, can I run away?"
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

There hasn't been a good, solid war in some time. Let 'em have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think I saw that Austin was creating a petition to secede from Texas so as to stay in the USA when Texas left. (or something to that effect.)

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    There hasn't been a good, solid war in some time. Let 'em have it.
    Maybe this is a good time to reference the Forum War thread that UniqueMixture recently started.

I mean, think about it -- we could have a whole huge arena.... maybe even an entire abandoned/run-down city.... converted over to the "50 States War Zone / No Man's Land." And basically if people wanted to just abuse and shoot the crap out of each other, they could just go there and have at it, and no one would be legally culpable for anything that happens if they do go into that arena (although they would have to listen to the cops if the cops went in there to police the place). Meanwhile, every place else would be Business As Usual, and under typical laws.

Don't say that nothing good ever came out of Typology Central!
    This kind of outlet could save the 50 Frickin' States of America.

(If you can't do it for yourself, do it for Ben Franklin! And Tommy J! And the big George-O! And all those other revolutionaries who got this little shindig going!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft