User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bilateral Entry View Post
    My bad. Did a quick google search on it which confirms what you said.
    Yeah. I should add that it's probably like that so that a business can have its terms of service without going through a legal process first, for example excluding pets from a rented property, or other things that the law hasn't thought of to allow or disallow.

If people think that the terms of service violates basic civil rights, they can take the business to court, or lobby for new laws.

It's easier in general to disallow things one by one than allow them one by one.

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I care about prostitutes too. But that is really beside the point.

I was taking it from a business perspective. All in all, a hotel is for personal respite unless it has been arranged to be used for commercial reasons beforehand. I think it's within a hotel's rights to know if it's occupants are using it's property for commercial or other endeavor. I don't know.
    Hm... a very good point. I would actually go so far as to say that I think you're completely correct.

I'd still make hotels rent rooms to prostitutes though I have too much compassion for their plight, and see only minimal impact to a hotel's business. After all, ALL hotels would have to accept these customers as well.

MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah. I should add that it's probably like that so that a business can have its terms of service without going through a legal process first, for example excluding pets from a rented property, or other things that the law hasn't thought of to allow or disallow.

If people think that the terms of service violates basic civil rights, they can take the business to court, or lobby for new laws.

It's easier in general to disallow things one by one than allow them one by one.
    I suppose this is to provide a better environment to run a business, and protect the business from abuse.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Hm... a very good point. I would actually go so far as to say that I think you're completely correct.

I'd still make hotels rent rooms to prostitutes though I have too much compassion for their plight, and see only minimal impact to a hotel's business. After all, ALL hotels would have to accept these customers as well.
    And what is 'their plight?'

If prostitutes got wind that a certain hotel allowed them to do business there, they would attend it in larger numbers and it would become seedy, which would affect its business. I wouldn't want that for my hotel. Perhaps hourly motels would not care. :-)
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

And what is 'their plight?'
    It's a shitty unsafe job.

If prostitutes got wind that a certain hotel allowed them to do business there, they would attend it in larger numbers and it would become seedy, which would affect its business. I wouldn't want that for my hotel. Perhaps hourly motels would not care. :-)
    In the case where hotels are allowed to discriminate, if a certain hotel didn't, then it is quite foreseeable that prostitutes would use that hotel. If your hotel was a very expensive one this probably wouldn't be an issue. The prostitutes who are spending $200-400 a night on a room likely don't look like prostitutes. If it was a cheaper hotel, and you had a lot of vacancy, you might welcome the business

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

It's a shitty unsafe job.

In the case where hotels are allowed to discriminate, if a certain hotel didn't, then it is quite foreseeable that prostitutes would use that hotel. If your hotel was a very expensive one this probably wouldn't be an issue. The prostitutes who are spending $200-400 a night on a room likely don't look like prostitutes. If it was a cheaper hotel, and you had a lot of vacancy, you might welcome the business
    They don't have to do it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

They don't have to do it.
    Yeah I guess the world needs waitresses too. I'd have to hear more from the prostitutes side and the hotel owners side to really decide, I think.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yeah I guess the world needs waitresses too. I'd have to hear more from the prostitutes side and the hotel owners side to really decide, I think.
    Well, it sounds like you want to almost enable them to continue what you also say is a 'shitty unsafe job' by making it easier to find a place to do said job.

Why not just encourage them to do something else or nothing at all?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Well, it sounds like you want to almost enable them to continue what you also say is a 'shitty unsafe job' by making it easier to find a place to do said job.

Why not just encourage them to do something else or nothing at all?
    lol I haven't really looked into the sex worker occupation. I don't know why they do it or what their options are. I know there's a magical invention called Google, but tldr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's relevant in my opinion of whether or not I think hotels should be allowed to discriminate. Also, I believe that it is possible to change societal values. I don't know exactly how that solution would look, but I believe that a solution is possible. I don't know what it is, and I certainly don't know if anyone else does.
    If you base law or policy upon how you think things should be rather than what works in practice, you end up with things like drug prohibition.

And what exactly is the overhead cost that she is passing along? And how would she pay that cost herself?
    Compared to working for or owning her own brothel.

You mean legally the prostitute has the burden of proof, or in your opinion you feel that she should?
    I'm saying that in my opinion if our legal system allowed her to challenge the hotel's right to refuse her business, the burden of proof should be on her. I'm not sure how it actually works or if the legal system would even be an option for a prostitute because prostitution is illegal in most jurisdictions. If the burden of proof is on the hotel, then we really have no property rights.

But as it stands, they know, but they don't know. They suspect, but they don't have the power to act on that suspicion and kick the suspects out.
    Businesses aren't courts. They don't have to adhere to "reasonable doubt". They can act on suspicion.

Not false equivalence. The point is that externality doesn't equal something that should be stopped.
    That's a terrible idea. Pollution (chemical and noise) is also an externality.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."