estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Cool California Supermajority

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2090294.html

as california goes so goes the nation?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Anew Leaf

I wonder what it will look like when the Pacific Ocean becomes the new Supermajority in Cali.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2090294.html

as california goes so goes the nation?
    Broke?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Broke?
    Seriously.....but don't worry, I'm sure adding to some of the highest taxes, most onerous regulations, and most expensive public union contracts in the country will turn things right around.

California is promising to be the biggest Republican recruitment vehicle in a long time, so long as the Republicans can manage to repair some of the damage caused by the illegal immigration issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    California is promising to be the biggest Republican recruitment vehicle in a long time, so long as the Republicans can manage to repair some of the damage caused by the illegal immigration issue.
    Big if there. It took California Republicans decades to alienate enough voters to make a Democratic supermajority. It might take them a while to un-alienate them. They may have lost Latinos for life.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Big if there. It took California Republicans decades to alienate enough voters to make a Democratic supermajority. It might take them a while to un-alienate them. They may have lost Latinos for life.
    Just takes the right pivot, the right candidate, and the right adjustment of perspective.

The Democrats mucking things up wouldn't hurt, either.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I was actually thinking of the rest of the country more than California; that's a lost cause for at least another generation, probably longer.

Remember, Bush won 43% of the hispanic vote in 2004, so the extent of the nation-wide alienation (more pronounced in some states than in others) is relatively recent; if the Republicans can retain their edge among white voters and get the hispanic vote back up to about 33%-the means of which should inch up Asian support, as well-they should be in good shape overall, the only potential problem being lack of turn-out among disaffected illegal immigration hard-liners (I doubt that segment of the electorate would turn to the Democrats, but they may stay home in large numbers, as just happened among many white voters in the Republican districts of Ohio, who stayed home in electorally significant numbers out of dislike for both candidates).

I think the worst plausible scenario for the country is the very real possibility that the racial/ethnic polarization will get worse, with whites from the midwest replacing lost hispanic voters in the Republican party, as majorities in each demographic grows to regard one of the parties to be at least somewhat hostile towards their own demographic....I also think that's the most likely scenario if the Republicans fail to win back alienated hispanics who are otherwise receptive toward Republican principles, which makes the Republican outreach effort something even far-sighted Democrats have reason to hope achieves at least modest success-many Democratic strategists have already admitted to being almost as worried as the Republicans about the growing ethnic element to the electoral divide, and how it impacts ther party's long-term prospects.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Broke?
    I think you mean the 8th largest economy in the world if it was a state unto itself.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Seriously.....but don't worry, I'm sure adding to some of the highest taxes, most onerous regulations, and most expensive public union contracts in the country will turn things right around.

Yes, I am sure everyone in the south would prefer to live in a state that is filled with farms and cow-people whose idea of a good time is to shoot their guns into the air and chug a few budweisers. The part of the world that is not retarded would prefer one of the world's cultural centers and an innovator in the arts and science that happens to spend too much.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think you mean the 8th largest economy in the world if it was a state unto itself.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of bankruptcy.