User Tag List

First 345

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uhhhhh... the two states that you mentioned in the post you made that I quoted up above?

I just wanted a definition for a "donor" state vs a "welfare" state. No charts necessary.
    A donor state gives more federal tax dollars than it receives in federal aid and funding. A welfare state does the opposite.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uhhhhh... the two states that you mentioned in the post you made that I quoted up above?

I just wanted a definition for a "donor" state vs a "welfare" state. No charts necessary.
    Welfare has more federal spending than tax income
    Donor has less less federal spending than tax income

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I think Florida and Texas either run even or are just barely donor states and the rest are welfare states.
    You're correct, actually. In 2005, they both just barely broke even with Texas and Florida with both at ~.90 federal spending per dollar of tax revenue generated.

From the Tax Foundation:

This is a slightly more recent one from 2009 from the Economist. At this point, Flordia is no longer a donor state.

The point is the majority of those states, however, are decidedly not in the donor category. We would without question be growing the pie by more than we'd be shrinking it if we just cut these idiots loose.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    A donor state gives more federal tax dollars than it receives in federal aid and funding. A welfare state does the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Welfare has more federal spending than tax income
    Donor has less less federal spending than tax income
    Great, thanks! (see, it was a basic question. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Another bummer of a thread...

Just because some people in a particular state are signing a petition doesn't mean that everyone in that state wants to secede or even most people. Saying "good riddance" to an entire state is, in effect, turning our back on fellow Americans who rely on federal aid and infrastructure. That, to me, is the opposite of liberal-minded thinking.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Another bummer of a thread...

Just because some people in a particular state are signing a petition doesn't mean that everyone in that state wants to secede or even most people. Saying "good riddance" to an entire state is, in effect, turning our back on fellow Americans who rely on federal aid and infrastructure. That, to me, is the opposite of liberal-minded thinking.
    Along with that, I also wouldn't call it "States wanting to secede." These are not the political leaders of the state in a position to make any kind of decision like that, it's not a lot different than just the "Petitions" that go around on the Internet all the time. These are not really formal requestions by the actual governing body who could vote to secede for that state. It's just disgruntled voters who happen to live in twenty different states.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft