User Tag List

MBTI
    xxTP

Default "Standing Room" on Planes?

I stumbled across this for some work research I am doing.

Sounds like a joke...isn't!

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...y-flights.html

O'Leary backs 'standing room only' flights

Nov 08, 2012 08:05AM GMT

17 Comments and 35 Reactions

Ryanair chief Michael O’Leary’s latest cost cutting scheme is to create ‘standing room-only’ sections on flights.

He claims seatbelts on aircraft are pointless and will not save passengers in a crash.

O’Leary is seeking to create standing only cabins for students and budget travellers, selling £1 tickets to European destinations.

He has suggested removing the back ten rows of seats in aircrafts, allowing groups of less discerning travellers to commute to their destination on their feet.

When it came to landing, he suggested, passengers could “hang on to the handle” and would be “fine”.

"If you say to passengers it's £25 for the seat and £1 for the standing cabin, I guarantee we will sell the standing cabin first. No question,” O’Leary was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph.

“If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you. Seatbelts don't matter.

"You don't need a seatbelt on the London Underground. You don't need a seatbelt on trains which are travelling at 120mph and if they crash you're all dead."

He added: "You should be able to choose from a safety perspective.

“We're not talking about areas of huge turbulence around Europe.

“We don't have heavy landings anymore. If you say to someone,' look, hang onto the handle there, you're coming in to land', they'll be fine.

"We operate 1,500 flights a day. They don't come skidding in. This is a very routine, safe form of travel. "

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I like this guy.

“If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you. Seatbelts don't matter.
    This part is a bit misleading. Regarding crashs, he's right, but we can't forget forced landing situations. I've watched a good number of documentaries about plane accidents, and on some of these disasters, children died because they didn't have seats for themselves.

MBTI
    INtP

That's pretty ridiculous... especially coming from an airline director. While the "smash-into-a-mountain" scenario isn't helped much by seatbelts, that isn't why they are there. They're there to prevent people from getting tossed about the cabin in rough weather, tricky landings, etc. The first toddler or grandmother who gets tossed into a bulkhead in a patch of rough air would end this hairbrained idea really quickly.

Isn't this the same guy who wanted to charge people extra to use the lavatory on planes? Like the option of people soiling themselves in a confined space with recirculated air was somehow going to be presented as an alternative?

Not impressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If seatbeats are pointless, why do flight attendants request that we put them on during take-off and landing?

If standing room could be implemented without jeopardizing the safety of passengers, you still have the issue of how many standing room passengers are allowed on a given flight. You have to have room in the center aisle for passengers and flight attendants to walk through.

A considerably cheaper price for standing room would be tempting, especially for shorter flights. For longer flights, it could get very uncomfortable standing in one spot for many hours at a time.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Anew Leaf

But what will I cling to in a death grip during take offs and landings?!

(I am the worst person to fly with.)

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    If seatbeats are pointless, why do flight attendants request that we put them on during take-off and landing?

If standing room could be implemented without jeopardizing the safety of passengers, you still have the issue of how many standing room passengers are allowed on a given flight. You have to have room in the center aisle for passengers and flight attendants to walk through.

A considerably cheaper price for standing room would be tempting, especially for shorter flights. For longer flights, it could get very uncomfortable standing in one spot for many hours at a time.

Same reason people inch forward at traffic lights, psychological comfort.

Eighty percent of all aircraft fatalities occur after impact, were you aware?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Obviously that guy has never been on a plane in turbulence. Or takeoff, for that matter. Seatbelts might not be strictly necessary but seats definitely are.
    -end of thread-