User Tag List

123 Last

Default Obligation to support the nuclear family?

I guess the question is for US Americans mostly, but others feel free to weigh in. Let's take a fairly common scenario:

Two people are in love (I don't care if it's male-male, female-female, or male-female on the two people dynamic). They decide to marry, commit to a lifetime together. Have kids via sex or adoption. Raise those kids, teach them constructive behaviors, right and wrong, how to read, etc. in the hopes that the kids will grow up to be thoughtful, productive adults.

Do you think this scenario is most likely to succeed at producing thoughtful, contributing adults?

Do we, as a society, have an obligation to support them? Is their success our collective success? Is their failure our collective failure?

If you agree that there is an obligation, do you think that we, USA, are living up to it? If we are not living up to that obligation, what do you think we should be doing better or different?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think children with more support end up doing better, but that doesn't necessarily come in the form of a conventional nuclear family. A single parent is at a disadvantage, and while I don't think it's severe, I wouldn't be surprised if it does tilt toward poorer results. However, the sky is probably the limit on the number of guardians a child can benefit from, and none of them need to fit a particular category as long as they function in the role. I don't see a nuclear family as a secret combo for success and I don't feel an obligation to uphold it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It's easily the most likely to succeed. No one can replace the roles of two parents.

MBTI
    xxTP

The nuclear family is the basis of a free, self-sufficient, civilized society, and the bastion against savagery and totalitarianism. Hence the reason why collectivists hate it.

WALMART

I grew up with two loving parents and entire blanket of caring relatives that live nearby. I do not find it coincidence I am a moderately well put together individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think children with more support end up doing better, but that doesn't necessarily come in the form of a conventional nuclear family. A single parent is at a disadvantage, and while I don't think it's severe, I wouldn't be surprised if it does tilt toward poorer results. However, the sky is probably the limit on the number of guardians a child can benefit from, and none of them need to fit a particular category as long as they function in the role. I don't see a nuclear family as a secret combo for success and I don't feel an obligation to uphold it.
    Do you feel an obligation to support children in general?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Do you feel an obligation to support children in general?
    Yes. That seems so obvious that I slightly doubt I understand the question.

I do think that in some manner or another children should receive education, health care, shelter, all that kind of crap, on top of the fact that they probably should continue to be classified as a somewhat different citizen from adults (though, of course, defining the age of adulthood is always a chore). I think children do need some people, however many people, to function like guardians.

Any alternative to what I've said above sounds like it would be Lord of the Flies or something.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I tend toward the "It Takes a Village" pov. While two CARING parents is a good (and maybe necessary) foundation, I think a well-adjusted, well-rounded child comes from having many caring people around to support them and teach them.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I believe that if the government is going to promote any sort of family structure, it should be extended families, not nuclear families. It's not difficult to imagine why this family structure would tend to be more financially stable and less likely to become dependent on government assistance.

The nuclear family is a 20th century phenomenon that might already be obsolete.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I tend toward the "It Takes a Village" pov. While two CARING parents is a good (and maybe necessary) foundation, I think a well-adjusted, well-rounded child comes from having many caring people around to support them and teach them.
    It's also worth noting that if it's a choice between one caring parent and two parents of which one is abusive, a child fares better with the first choice.
    Go to sleep, iguana.