User Tag List

First 567

Results 61 to 67 of 67

  1. #61
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I guess a lot of church donation money goes to support the poor and needy though right? It would be interesting to see the breakdown.
    I would love to believe that. Probably depends a lot on the church. You've got building upkeep, salaries, educational supplies, and whatever goes to the denominational headquarters that I can think of off the top of my head.

    Most of my experience is with Baptist and Pentecostal churches and the teachings I've heard are that the church gets to determine where your first 10% goes. If you give above and beyond that (and you should) you can earmark where you want it to go: missions, the food pantry, prison ministry, crisis pregnancy center, etc.

    I guess after going to my brother's ordination in a church that had a giant indoor playground and a Starbuck's style coffee bar, that I'm kind of cynical about where the money is going.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  2. #62
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I guess a lot of church donation money goes to support the poor and needy though right? It would be interesting to see the breakdown.
    Even excluding religious donations, conservatives donate more on a % of income basis.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/op...nce20.com&_r=0

  3. #63
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    high profile douchebags melting down is funny regardless of political leanings... I can't help but to smirk to see someone who actually pays someone to deal with their image crumble like that... I don't care if it makes me a terrible person

    gloating in general is pointless though... am I happy? yes- relatively (as far as politics go it's the lesser of two evils in my book... I still think that the democratic party is filled to the brim with a bunch of pussies while the republicans are all a bunch of bitches)... will pissing people off get me anywhere in life? nope... so why bother if it has no productive value?

    anyways- I don't deal with social media... I'm too cool for it and most people who surround me are apolitical... I doubt some even knew that an election was occurring
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #64
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    and on another note, despite being on the liberal side of things I've NEVER been described as particularly empathetic... I'm liberal because it benefits me the most and falls into my basic beliefs about things... I have plenty of student loans and am going back to school- I prefer ANYONE who will woo me with helping out with that!

    plenty of other reasons, but I'm willing to pay more taxes if I can get more benefits from it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #65
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Even excluding religious donations, conservatives donate more on a % of income basis.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/op...nce20.com&_r=0
    It is not surprising. It is a different emphasis, state safety net vs charity safety net. Probably a combination of both ensures the most coverage for the most people.

  6. #66
    Senior Member BAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    631

    Default

    So on my Facebook, someone who's conservative posted a photo. It was an Uncle Sam like character holding up a pillar labeled "Western Civilization", and in the dude's mouth was a gun labeled "Liberalism", and pulling back the hammer of the gun was an extra hand labeled "Islam." The photo was titled "The suicide of Western Civilization."

    Also, I talked to a conservative co-worker today. He said that now that Obama is re-elected we'll see war against Israel, the rise of the Anti-Christ, and the one world government. These are all necessary steps before Jesus returns.

    I read the comments for the "The suicide of Western Civilization" photo. The were all supportive of the photo. There were lots of Amens, Biblical allusions, and descriptions of Liberals as mentally ill individuals.

    It completely ignores the fact that the terrorist attack occurred under Bush, whereas the killing of Osama bin Laden occurred under Obama.

    There is so much wrong with the photo. Do Liberals even have guns?

    From some Liberal perspectives, Muslims are conservatives. They have extreme laws against art, nudity, women's rights, etc. There's not much difference between them and the religious right in this country.

    The photo has been bugging me. Maybe I'm too Liberal to get it.

  7. #67
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    So on my Facebook, someone who's conservative posted a photo. It was an Uncle Sam like character holding up a pillar labeled "Western Civilization", and in the dude's mouth was a gun labeled "Liberalism", and pulling back the hammer of the gun was an extra hand labeled "Islam." The photo was titled "The suicide of Western Civilization."

    Also, I talked to a conservative co-worker today. He said that now that Obama is re-elected we'll see war against Israel, the rise of the Anti-Christ, and the one world government. These are all necessary steps before Jesus returns.

    I read the comments for the "The suicide of Western Civilization" photo. The were all supportive of the photo. There were lots of Amens, Biblical allusions, and descriptions of Liberals as mentally ill individuals.

    It completely ignores the fact that the terrorist attack occurred under Bush, whereas the killing of Osama bin Laden occurred under Obama.

    There is so much wrong with the photo. Do Liberals even have guns?

    From some Liberal perspectives, Muslims are conservatives. They have extreme laws against art, nudity, women's rights, etc. There's not much difference between them and the religious right in this country.

    The photo has been bugging me. Maybe I'm too Liberal to get it.
    Here's how I avoid being bugged by the photo: I discount it by realizing it can only be produced by completely ignorance or delusion. This saves me the effort trying to pick it apart as if the people who support it would understand.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] Liberal SJs
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
  2. Why are N people usually more liberal then S people?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
  3. Liberals voice concerns about Obama
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
  4. Liberal Arts Grads:
    By Ardea in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM
  5. Liberals are stingier, study finds
    By Oberon in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO