User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Gun Control

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    I believe people should have the right to own whatever firearm they want, as long as they can demonstrate a legitimate reason for it...
    You've just illustrated for us the difference between a right and a privilege.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    At the very best a gun is a double edged weapon; They do are not make very good protection just ask Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley and John F. Kennedy.
    ...balanced against all the other presidents who had armed security, and who didn't get shot...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You've just illustrated for us the difference between a right and a privilege.
    I like that... I would go for a sort of devil's deal with conservatives and create legislation that treats gun ownership as a privilege and not a right... the long-term goal would be to phase out gun ownership all together... I'm surprised that Constitutionalists haven't been more vociferous about the main argument for gun control, which is to be prepared for the possibility of having to overthrow/resist an out-of-control, (totally!) unrighteous government... in which case I would reiterate my feeling that there are far more effective and less immediately violent ways of dealing with unjust command from above than by resorting to guns... passive resistance, shorting out lines of communication... fighting the panopticon directly with smart use of technology (hacking into computer systems) rather than tussling with the strong-arms employed to guard its perimeter... [with the government generally employing bureaucracy and the threat of violence more than violence itself... ipso facto, no need for guns... why disable the arms when you can just scramble the brains?]
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

...balanced against all the other presidents who had armed security, and who didn't get shot...

Or unpropitiously compared with only one solitary assassinated British Prime Minister, Spencer Percival.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but has a king or Queen of England ever been assassinated with a gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but has a king or Queen of England ever been assassinated with a gun?
    Careful... that argument cuts both ways. Lots of heads of state have been assassinated by means other than guns. That doesn't really constitute a point in favor of gun control.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Lots of heads of state have been assassinated by means other than guns. That doesn't really constitute a point in favor of gun control.

I am sorry but if you re-read my post you will see the pellucidity of my posts in this thread. I was not even trying to argue for gun control, but rather against the conception booyalab has;

Firstly, in regard to her oblique view she presented in her comparison between UK and US crime. In my opinion, it was at best 'misleading', and at worst 'offensive'.

Secondly, her notion more guns means one is safer. While, ever so conveniently leaving out the serious crime contemptible society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Considering how well Bush has done getting armor for our troops, I don't think giving body armor to everyone at birth would be an easy task.
    OFT. The military is one of the few things that I consider to be legitimate federal government jurisdiction (and we spend hundreds of billions a year on it), and they STILL can't get it right. The conditions under which many of our uniformed personnel operate are disgraceful. Look at the Veterans Administration fiasco. More than one person at the FFF conference last week was ex-military who had either A) been kicked out; B) hated the bureaucracy and left; or C) couldn't stomach the things they saw in Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, Iraq.

As for guns, I'm a fan. If you aren't, don't buy one. It's a truism throughout life: many of the coolest things (guns, drugs, fast cars, speed boats, love) are also the most dangerous. It IS scary to think that many Americans own (or could own) guns, but rights are not for someone to dictate to others. And this is from a native Philadelphian (our gun violence levels are obscene; however, most of it is drug-related, and committed with illegal street/straw buyer guns).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

The US goverment estimates that there are about 223 MILLION guns in private hands in the United States. Those numbers alone should tell you that regardless of the laws, guns will not be going away anytime soon. In my opinion, opening up conceal and carry laws will reduce crime. (Legalizing drugs would have the most effect of anything, but that won't be happening, and is a different discussion). There are no criminals who have trouble finding/getting guns, making it more difficult for the normal citizens doesn't help anything.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Default Disgust

Millions upon millions are in love with guns there. But guns are designed for one purpose only.

And this is the purpose they lust for.

And they have no intention of giving up their blood lust.

Every time blood is shed it titillates their lust.

And the rest of the civilized world looks on with disgust.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Millions upon millions are in love with guns there. But guns are designed for one purpose only.
    I disagree, I love target shooting (and am extremely good at it), but I have zero desire to hunt/kill anything. So, on that basis, you're wrong. Also, the same could be said about the bow and arrow, and about hunting knives/other large knives.

And the rest of the civilized world looks on with disgust.
    Really? I disagree, there are many other countries where citizens have large numbers of guns (not even counting Africa/Middle East), in switzerland, every adult male is REQUIRED to have a selective fire rifle (lets you switch between semi-auto, and other modes such as burst and full-auto) and a semiautomatic handgun, in their homes. Yet, switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

America has always had a high(ish) crime rate compared to other countries, I don't think gun laws have much to do with it, and I don't think changing those laws would effect the crime rate in a significant positive way.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%