User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Gun Control

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    At least I can run away from a thug with a knife.
    Can you?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Weaver, generally.
    Good thing I didn't ask what you position is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Good thing I didn't ask what you position is.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Very much against any form of gun control except in the case of background checks, which do little to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, but I digress. I'm against gun control just on the principle that there are much, much worse things that can happen in this world than a person shooting another, which, oddly enough, is usually for a good reason. The other reason being traditional - the founders of America knew that for a people to uphold freedom and democracy, they must have the ability to stand up not only to foreign coercion but also domestic corruption. I'm probably even more radical than your traditional gun toting pro-gun person (i dont own a gun btw) in that every county and state should retain and uphold a militia, outside of any direct monitoring by federal agencies, that can operate a successful guerilla campaign against any modern army or police force. This means militias should be granted to have not just the assault rifles any citizen can own, but anti-vehicle weaponry, armor piercing rounds, artillary and anti-aircraft munitions.

Being in florida and knowing veterans in militias I can honestly say I don't think your typical militias do what they do because they want to cause trouble, but because they watch the government with a very shrewd and cynical eye, which they should. I was told by one militia member that after Waco Texas, many militias rallied up and publicly said if they do this kind of shit again, there's going to be a very violent revolution, which is justified if you are familiar with Waco.

But then again, I'm probably just a paranoid nut who still thinks 1984 is possible.

"Political Power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Can you?
    Well maybe he's a marathon runner, who knows. But I think knife safety would be the least of one's worries over there, anyway. Apparently gun crimes doubled since the ban, your chances of being mugged in London are 6 times greater than in New York, and England's rates of assault, robbery, and burglary are way higher than in America. You're also 4 times more likely to be robbed at home in the UK than in the US, where burglars actually admit to fearing armed homeowners more than the police.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    N358

I don't think most private citizens need landmines, or a 50cal armor piercing exploding sniper round. Nor should emotionally troubled teenagers have accurate high-capacity semi-auto rifles. Especially not gangbangers(and wannabe counterparts) running around with SMG's and handguns.

I believe people should have the right to own whatever firearm they want, as long as they can demonstrate a legitimate reason for it, and personal responsibility.

The problem is, it is very hard to regulate guns. There are already hundreds of thousands of guns on the unregulated market in the US alone, if not millions. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    I don't think most private citizens need landmines, or a 50cal armor piercing exploding sniper round. Nor should emotionally troubled teenagers have accurate high-capacity semi-auto rifles. Especially not gangbangers(and wannabe counterparts) running around with SMG's and handguns.

I believe people should have the right to own whatever firearm they want, as long as they can demonstrate a legitimate reason for it, and personal responsibility.

The problem is, it is very hard to regulate guns. There are already hundreds of thousands of guns on the unregulated market in the US alone, if not millions. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    It does seem to me though that America is particularly bad at regulating guns.
    In fact, Americans are wussy amateurs when it comes to any kind of regulation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But this misses the point.

There will always be guns.
    I just think that guns are used for more violent crimes than they are for protection. If no one was allowed to purchase or own a gun than the human race would be much safer in general. I'm not saying it is possible to ever get rid of guns, and i understand that there will always be guns, but in my ideal view of the world, guns would have never existed.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I just think that guns are used for more violent crimes than they are for protection. If no one was allowed to purchase or own a gun than the human race would be much safer in general. I'm not saying it is possible to ever get rid of guns, and i understand that there will always be guns, but in my ideal view of the world, guns would have never existed.
    Would the laws of physics be different in your world? Because a gun is effective for the same reason a knife or a bow n arrow are effective - force applied over a small surface area. Point being someone would think of it eventually

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Sling View Post
    IThe problem is, it is very hard to regulate guns. There are already hundreds of thousands of guns on the unregulated market in the US alone, if not millions. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    That's an important point.

I support the right to own a gun.