User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Religious demographics and the 2012 Elections...

One more to add to the pile of 2012 Election analysis threads:

http://wildhunt.org/2012/11/a-post-c...he-future.html

Last night, aside from a few hold-outs, a prevailing consensus formed about the election that won President Barack Obama a second term... America’s demographics have shifted.
    But the erosion of “traditional” America wasn’t simply about fewer white voters, it was also about women, and younger voters, who defied the ever-popular notion that they are politically apathetic. It was also about shifting religious demographics too.

"...the bulk of Romney’s base was coming from white conservative evangelicals, mainline Protestants, and Catholics, while Obama’s support comes from a more diverse group: 23% from the unaffiliated, 18% from black Protestants, 15% from white mainline Protestants, 14% from white Catholics, 8% from Latino Catholics, and 7% from non-Christians. Romney draws just 3% of his base from Latino Catholics, 2% from non-Christians, and an unmeasurable portion from black Protestants."

Did you catch that? The religiously unaffiliated are about the same size as white evangelicals, the demographic that politicians from both parties have wooed for decades now. During the run-up to the election I noted that both parties need to do a better job in reaching out to the very real pluralism and diversity that is religion in the United States.
    "The problem is that both parties have been slow to embrace real pluralism and religious diversity in their one prime-time 3-day infomercial to the American people (and in certain senses, the world). This may not be a problem for this election cycle, but it is increasingly going to be an issue as that slow demographic shift keeps on shifting, and more states start to be evenly divided between Christians on one side, with “nones” and “others” on the other. The “unchurched” (non-Christian) vote is going to be a real thing in the years to come, and we’re a frustratingly diverse demographic. Asian-Americans are a key growth point for non-Abrahamic religions across the country, while a whopping 12% of state residents are adherents of a New Age, Pagan, or esoteric faiths in Colorado, with another 20% fitting into the “none” category. These are growing populations that can’t be ignored forever."
    Sifting through the results from last night you can start to see the realignments. Hawaii sends the first Buddhist, Mazie Hirono, to the US Senate, and the first Hindu, Tulsi Gabbard, to the House.
    Last night was also a historic night for same-sex marriage rights. Maine and Maryland both legalized same-sex marriage by popular vote, reversing an ongoing electoral trend that favored social conservatives. Now, this morning, it looks like Washington will join them, a race decided by the religiously unaffiliated majority in that state.
    There are many other instances I can pull up here, Colorado going blue (and legalizing pot), the influx of women senators, the overreach of social (Christian) conservatives, but I’ll simply end with this point: I think we’re going to see a lot more elections that look like this one. That doesn’t mean that Democrats automatically win all the time, or that Republicans are always doomed to lose, just that the playing field will never again be like it was in the 1980s or 1990s.
    Not familiar with the website, it was linked on another site. But as the non-religious / unaffiliated bloc grows larger with the new generation, how soon and by how much will it start to change the face of elections? I know it's tempting to jump to conclusions after elections, but I got this same feeling as I watched the results, too. Such as Virginia and now even North Carolina becoming harder and harder for the Republican Party to win....in two states that once were part of the Solid (conservative) South. Why? Demographic change, I'm inclined to believe. But then again, it could be leftovers from 2008's wave of increased minority-voter turnout. Easy to see how that could happen again.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

The time has come for Constantine the Great to renounce christianity on his deathbed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's nice to see some openly non-Christian candidates win some national political offices. When we have an openly atheist president, I will be happy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Romney is not a Christian, he's of the group of people who practice the mormons religion. I will also say that due to being a Christian that I would definitely not vote for him for that reason.

I am usually stoically unbiased so I know how taboo that is, but ironically for the same strong beliefs that Christians (I am unsure if they really are or not) considered reasons they must vote for Romney, I saw it quite the opposite since not only is he not a Christian, he is a mormon. Mormonism is the antipathy to Christianity and arguably the most fundamentally sin-based religion out there. For instance, mormons believe Satan and Jesus are brothers. Now, if we recall the fall of man, satan's enticement was "to be LIKE God". Not to be God, not to be above God, but LIKE God, as in, akin to, equal to. Spiritually, true Christians know that nobody is like God and only God is good. How much more alike can you get but "brothers"? We even say, "my brother from another mother" to imply vastly similar despite technically unrelated. Mormonism is only thinly masked lies/satanism and it's a shame that Christians would ever vote for a mormon not to mention touting belief in Christ as the reason for it.

It says in the Bible, "he who is not against you is for you", and in this case it is Obama, not Romney who would fall into that category. That is why Romney avoids topics about his religious practice, because he knows it will end in conflicts which cannot be resolved politically. Obama is a competent leader and does his job as he is intended to for most intensive purposes and as a Christian I am glad we have him for a president for 4 more years.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I thought it was interesting that the first Hindu was elected in Hawaii
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Apparently the definition of "Christian" depends on who is defining the term.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Apparently the definition of "Christian" depends on who is defining the term.
    I think this has always been the case. I mean, Martin Luther called the Pope the antichrist.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think this has always been the case. I mean, Martin Luther called the Pope the antichrist.
    And we know the Pope had a few choice words about Luther as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

During the run-up to the election I noted that both parties need to do a better job in reaching out to the very real pluralism and diversity
    How does one reach out to pluralism and diversity? Isn't that necessarily the same thing as grasping at straws?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it