User Tag List

First 78910111959 Last

Sniffles

Just throwing this out there

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, exactly.

If Republicans took this ticket, then they would get a lot of libertarians and centrists on board by dropping their Neo-Con social agendas. However, I think there still needs to be an emphasis on the family unit, taken from a different angle: candidates living by example and leading frugal lifestyles. A level headed, rational, constitutional approach would gut Republican ideology, while at the same time breathing new life into it.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Not to say there's not something to that video, but the fact that he didn't mention the demographic shift and the clear racial divide in this election shows that he's more obsessed with his personal pet theory than examining the issues on the ground and dealing with them. He gets a thumbs up on the states powers vs federal powers question, particularly with regard to gay marriage and drugs, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Care to expand? Or is it more about the concept of honing the party down and getting rid of the dead weight of some of these issues?
    I've just never been able to get on board with the idiotic elements, and I think this election finally signals their death knell.

From now on, the moderate majority can tell them all to just shut the fuck up, cuz obviously their politics haven't been working.

It wasn't the only reason, but one of the major reasons Romney lost is because he had to tack too far right during the primaries.

WALMART

I remember the 'death' of the Republican party in 2008. Four years of absolute halted progress ensued.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I've skimmed the thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned:

The obvious answer would be to have a non-white-male candidate (running for President) in the next election.

Is that too simplistic?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Is that too simplistic?
    I'd say it's crude.

It's all surface, no substance.

It's a possibility, and I don't have a problem with it, but it's not a platform.

If the best candidate that emerges is not a white male, then by all means, I ain't got no problem with it.

But to set out with that goal in mind is something only the disgusting racially divisive mind of a Democrat could think up.

Ginkgo

The obvious answer would be to have a non-white-male candidate (running for President) in the next election.

Is that too simplistic?
    I don't think that's the answer. Obama's success relied heavily on Bush's garbage burning in the background, and the stench still clings to the Whitehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Not to say there's not something to that video, but the fact that he didn't mention the demographic shift and the clear racial divide in this election shows that he's more obsessed with his personal pet theory than examining the issues on the ground and dealing with them. He gets a thumbs up on the states powers vs federal powers question, particularly with regard to gay marriage and drugs, but that's about it.
    You gotta start somewhere. Race is a petty issue and even if that majority of black Americans and Hispanics vote Democrat, they're Americans first and foremost.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Is that too simplistic?
    Yeah, if it's Rubio. Most I think many Hispanics view Cubans who left during the revolution as not traitors or uncle toms, but with a bit of unease especially if they spout the sort of rhetoric he does.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

I've just never been able to get on board with the idiotic elements, and I think this election finally signals their death knell.

From now on, the moderate majority can tell them all to just shut the fuck up, cuz obviously their politics haven't been working.

It wasn't the only reason, but one of the major reasons Romney lost is because he had to tack too far right during the primaries.
    I'd like to think you're right. But they won't go away without a fight.

I subscribed to the official Tea Party mailing list some time ago out of curiosity (I subscribe to a lot of political newsletters because I like to get a wide range of information), and the day after the election I got this email

Dear Patriot,

If the election results prove anything, it is this:

We are on our own.

If Barack Obama and his ruinous agenda are going to be stopped, it’s going to have to be done by Tea Party Americans who aren’t afraid to fight for true limited government

So, Tea Party Patriots is about to launch a massive grassroots counterattack and take the political fight directly to Barack Obama and the liberals.

Please make a generous contribution of $30, $50, $100, $200 or whatever you can afford to help us beat back Obama’s drive to raise taxes this winter.

We have to stand up right now and make sure that every single Republican understands that we expect them to FIGHT Barack Obama—not “compromise” with him!

Stopping the liberals scheme to destroy even more jobs and economic opportunity by hiking taxes is our number one priority. We need to be prepared to bombard Congress with calls, faxes and emails.

And we need to educate every new conservative member of Congress on exactly what the grassroots expects of him or her when they get to Capitol Hill.

So, next week we are hosting a historic conference between these new members of Congress and hundreds of local tea party coordinators. It will be a chance for these newly-elected leaders to listen to “We the People.”

And “We the People” are going to give them an earful!

Please make the best contribution you can to help Tea Party Patriots fund this political counterattack. We really need your help. We depleted our treasury this fall fighting the Obama agenda in the swing states, and this new grassroots offensive will be very costly.

You see, we have no intention of taking Obama’s reelection lying down. We have no plans to allow the Republican political establishment to sell out the American people in the interest of bogus “bipartisanship.”

Instead we are going to counterattack!

Please make the most generous contribution you can to Tea Party Patriots today.

On Tuesday American took a big step backwards. Barack Obama now believes he has a mandate to continue spending and taxing at will.

However he is wrong. Dead wrong.

Poll after poll shows the American people hate big government, they despise higher taxes on anyone, and they demand federal spending be CUT not increased!

That is why we must fight. And fight now.

Please help fund our Tea Party counterattack.

Barack Obama may have won an important battle, but the American people will win this political war.

Please make the most generous online donation you can.
    It seems hard for Republican Representatives in closely contested seats to ignore that kind of pressure...though maybe I am missing something due to distance.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I don't think that's the answer.
    It's just a crude one.

A better answer would be "become appealing to all Americans, including Latinos, blacks, asians and women."

Obama's success relied heavily on Bush's garbage burning in the background, and the stench still clings to the Whitehouse.
    This is true.

There's truth to the demographic shift, though, too.

You gotta start somewhere.
    As I said:

1. Stop alienating people via social issues.
    2. Stop alienating people via immigration issues.
    3. Stop alienating people via economic issues.

Race is a petty issue and even if that majority of black Americans and Hispanics vote Democrat, they're Americans first and foremost.
    I was never arguing that they weren't.

I was arguing that the Republican Party can no longer win without them, and, as such, has to change.

The changes that are necessary would be to become more moderate socially, more inclusive, and more understanding/even-tempered fiscally.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, if it's Rubio. Most I think many Hispanics view Cubans who left during the revolution as not traitors or uncle toms, but with a bit of unease especially if they spout the sort of rhetoric he does.
    What about his rhetoric exactly do you think is inherently off-putting to Latinos?

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    ...though maybe I am missing something due to distance.
    You are.

Their wave crested a while ago (back during the debt ceiling debate, really).

Same goes for the Occupy Movement, sometime around March, I think.

Their effect has been felt; now it's time for the adults to fix things.