User Tag List

First 296977787980 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

The more time goes by, my pick of Paul in '16 is looking better and better.
    Your pick after your boy Rubio flaked out.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

The sky hasn't fallen yet. Despite others' protestations, I remain dubious on the prospect.
    Panic now while there's still time!
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

After facing off against the establishment and a millionaire opponent Amash will be back and he's still not pulling punches.

Former congressman Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.), who backed challenger Brian Ellis? "You are a disgrace. And I'm glad we could hand you one more loss before you fade into total obscurity and irrelevance." (Hoekstra lost the state's 2012 Senate race -- and in the 2010 gubernatorial primary.)

Ellis? "You owe my family and this community an apology for your disgusting, despicable smear campaign. You had the audacity to try and call me today after running a campaign that was called the nastiest in the country. I ran for office to stop people like you."
    Justin Amash's Amazing Victory Speech

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    After facing off against the establishment and a millionaire opponent Amash will be back and he's still not pulling punches.

Justin Amash's Amazing Victory Speech
    I've always liked Amash.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Glad to see Rand getting some love over at Politico. He tops the list of the Politico 50 (or the 50 most interesting people in politics right now)

The Most Interesting Man in Politics.

If I remember correctly, you were Rubio fanboy a while back. Do you now prefer Rand Paul?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If I remember correctly, you were Rubio fanboy a while back. Do you now prefer Rand Paul?
    Oh I still like Rubio. Rand has better chances in the Presidential general election and his views move the party in ways I've been wishing it would move for years.

I also think I'm ideologically closer to Rand than Rubio. Still a huge Rubio fan though.

The reason I haven't been writing about him is that he hasn't done much to write about. He was knocked down several pegs over the immigration issue a couple of years ago and is still climbing out of the hole that put him in. He's got some great ideas on poverty reduction and has been doing a good job of rebuilding trust with the electorate.

Rubio needs a little more seasoning. I see him coming into his own after '16.

I don't really prefer one to the other. Both are hugely talented politicians with bright futures ahead. I just think Rand's moment is now, and that Rubio's will be a little down the road.

Both are hugely talented politicians with bright futures ahead.
    What constitutes political talent, in your opinion? The way I see it, you are basically a salesperson or a tummler for ideas. Being a politician, especially a well-known one, seems to involve relatively little original thought. I find it hard to imagine that any politician's 'great ideas on poverty reduction' would surprise the average economist. What sets one apart from the mass is being able to put them into practice.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What constitutes political talent, in your opinion? The way I see it, you are basically a salesperson or a tummler for ideas. Being a politician, especially a well-known one, seems to involve relatively little original thought. I find it hard to imagine that any politician's 'great ideas on poverty reduction' would surprise the average economist. What sets one apart from the mass is being able to put them into practice.
    I don't really quantify the value of something based on the amount of original thought it requires.

I'm way to lazy to go through a comprehensive discussion of what I consider political talent, but for our purposes here its a combination of knowing what the electorate wants, knowing how best to sell policies to them, and knowing how to conduct oneself in such a way as to minimize the opportunity to be attacked by the opposition.

Of course economists aren't gonna give two shits, politics always lags behind the think tank crowd as far as policy is concerned. The fact that an establishment guy like Rubio is selling poverty policies to the base is whats the big deal. It takes time for the electorate to get comfortable with new policies, same with elected officials. The fact that Rubio knew now was the time to start pushing policy on the subject is what makes him a great talent.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it