User Tag List

First 24647273747576 Last

Results 731 to 740 of 798

  1. #731
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Welp, the future of the Republican party won't include Eric Cantor.
    I was so going to make a post about this, but wow......

    The Majority Leader losing his seat and spending so much more than his contender.

    Would it make things much harder to negotiate for Boehner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Took 3 hours to reach top story on Reddit. House Majority Leader Cantor defeated in primary : politics
    I first saw it on PoliticalDiscussion (might have gone up the list faster because of it,) I had to do a double take and look through google just because it's very rare to have people that high get outed so......easily.

  2. #732
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Doesn't anybody question how an incumbent candidate spent 5 million on a campaign & lost to a noob that spent less than 200k?
    I've been urging that the Republican Party need to put their differences aside & unite in order to defeat the Democratic Party. So why would republicans vote out a very strong incumbent that was a shoe in to defeat his democratic opponent this upcoming November?
    IMHO they wouldn't but the democrats sure as hell would vote for the nearly unheard of Tea Party candidate in order to eliminate an opponent that was considered heavily favored in this November midterm election.
    I seriously suspect that democrats are voting to divide the Republican Party by electing the weakest candidates that they're going to face this November & republicans need to turn the tables on the democrats by doing the same to them.

    Remember the phrase "don't count your chickens before they hatch", because the Progressive Liberals & Democrats in particularly appear to be one trick ponies that heavily rely upon "Divide & Conquer". I've the sneaking suspicion that democrats voted heavily in this election to exploit the opportunity of eliminating their strongest republican opponents that were heavily favored to defeat the democrats during this November midterm election.

    Hurrah for the Tea Party & their candidate, but something stinks of rotten behind the scenes dirty politics & I'm betting it's a democrat ploy to further divide the Republican Party because there's always a weasel with an eye toward pulling the wool over upon the unsuspecting naive.

  3. #733
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Number 2 rino in the House is history courtesy of the Tea Party. Seeyas Mr. Cantor.
    I highly doubt the tea party pulled that upset defeat, especially because they were outspent like 20/1.
    Nah that election stinks of putrid dirty politics & I suspect democrats flocked to the polls to vote their fiercest opposition down the drain in favor a their weakest opposition.
    What would you estimate the odds of the nobody college professor getting elected in November?
    Maybe slim to nil at best? I'm not buying this election result as being anything more than just another overused democratic attempt at "Divide & Conquer".

  4. #734
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Lol and people say it's the tea party that's made up of tin hat wearers.

    It's a simple matter of Cantor screwing around in small ball politics and it bit him in the ass



    It boils down to one word.

    Slating.

    Starting this spring, Eric Cantor and his chief consultant Ray Allen, along with various other goons from his Young Guns network, invaded county and congressional district Republican conventions and manipulated the rules to slate off Republican activists to deliver congressional district chairmanships to his allies.

    ...

    If it wasn’t for Cantor’s bullying across the state, his attempt to disenfranchise Republican activists (and not just tea partiers), outraged Republicans across the state. The blogs, Facebook, and Twitter exploded in the last few months over these actions and it gave Brat at the very least statewide sympathy if not an army of potential volunteers who didn’t need much motivation. Cantor’s district is dead center in the state and its not that hard to get to. Nobody would have given Dave Brat the time of day no matter what he attacked Cantor with if it weren’t for this colossal mistake rooted in Cantor’s vanity and dream to somehow become the Republican boss of Virginia. Cantor needlessly angered so many people that suddenly everyone was willing to give Brat a listen. He is a college professor, this is not someone who will easily be distorted as some sort of nut job unfit for office. He is thoughtful, smart, and hardworking. Cantor then went into negative overdrive, calling Brat a “liberal college professor” and pointing to a paper one of his students wrote who he was an adviser to, all the while insulting everyone’s intelligence. He is also notorious for not having very good constituent service.
    https://www.redstate.com/diary/mason...c-cantor-lost/

    No, the tea party didn't win it, but Cantor sure as hell lost it.

  5. #735
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    I highly doubt the tea party pulled that upset defeat, especially because they were outspent like 20/1.
    Nah that election stinks of putrid dirty politics & I suspect democrats flocked to the polls to vote their fiercest opposition down the drain in favor a their weakest opposition.
    What would you estimate the odds of the nobody college professor getting elected in November?
    Maybe slim to nil at best? I'm not buying this election result as being anything more than just another overused democratic attempt at "Divide & Conquer".
    Do you have any evidence for this claim? If what you say is true, then the total number of votes cast should be significantly higher than in the past. I'm thinking it must be at least double the voter turnout of previous primary elections for your explanation to have any validity. I looked but couldn't easily find the vote totals for previous primary elections (Virginia's government election results site is malfunctioning), so I gave up.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #736
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Do you have any evidence for this claim? If what you say is true, then the total number of votes cast should be significantly higher than in the past. I'm thinking it must be at least double the voter turnout of previous primary elections for your explanation to have any validity. I looked but couldn't easily find the vote totals for previous primary elections (Virginia's government election results site is malfunctioning), so I gave up.
    Is this what you want?

    https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.g...cial/6_s.shtml

    RACE CANDIDATE VOTE VOTE% STATISTICS DETAILS
    Member House of Representatives
    (07)

    Last Reported: Jun 15 2012 10:23AM EST

    Eric I. Cantor 37,369 79.44% Precincts Reporting:
    239 of 240 (99.58%)

    Voter Turnout:
    47,037 of 465,154 active voters (10.11%)
    47,037 of 492,387 total voters (9.552%) Votes by County/City



    EDIT: The current vote tallies for this primary:

    Cantor: 28,902 (44.45%)
    Brat: 36,120 (55.55%)

    Total votes: 65,022



    Conclusion: More people voted, but Cantor didn't even maintain his normal tally -- he dropped a good 8-9K votes between elections from those who voted for him previously, theoretically. He lost more than the other guy won by.

    Did Democratic votes doom Eric Cantor?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #737
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Yep, that's what I was looking for. I guess it's possible some Democrats skewed the results a little bit, making the margin of victory a little larger than it would have been otherwise, but the idea that a Democratic conspiracy is responsible for Cantor's loss is bunk.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #738
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    Doesn't anybody question how an incumbent candidate spent 5 million on a campaign & lost to a noob that spent less than 200k?
    I've been urging that the Republican Party need to put their differences aside & unite in order to defeat the Democratic Party. So why would republicans vote out a very strong incumbent that was a shoe in to defeat his democratic opponent this upcoming November?
    IMHO they wouldn't but the democrats sure as hell would vote for the nearly unheard of Tea Party candidate in order to eliminate an opponent that was considered heavily favored in this November midterm election.
    I seriously suspect that democrats are voting to divide the Republican Party by electing the weakest candidates that they're going to face this November & republicans need to turn the tables on the democrats by doing the same to them.

    Remember the phrase "don't count your chickens before they hatch", because the Progressive Liberals & Democrats in particularly appear to be one trick ponies that heavily rely upon "Divide & Conquer". I've the sneaking suspicion that democrats voted heavily in this election to exploit the opportunity of eliminating their strongest republican opponents that were heavily favored to defeat the democrats during this November midterm election.

    Hurrah for the Tea Party & their candidate, but something stinks of rotten behind the scenes dirty politics & I'm betting it's a democrat ploy to further divide the Republican Party because there's always a weasel with an eye toward pulling the wool over upon the unsuspecting naive.
    Not exactly. Cantor didn't expect to lose (if it was possible given his position) so dramatically in his home district, I think that was the biggest issue. I don't even think most Democrats would believe someone like Cantor would lose his seat this easily. Some of what I have glanced over, he overlooked the issue that there was going to be any threat to his seat and only ran media ads. Out of the voter turnout of that district, only about 10% actually voted which is in line with most other congressional races across the country. The people that consistently vote are more vocal, and it just so turns out that the tea party are very vocal... and they seem to use midterm elections to their advantage because of it.

    When it comes to a primary election, you want to appear as Republican or Democrat as possible. Brat "appeared" as a hardline conservative when it came to immigration while Cantor was a little more to the left (if there was any.) That may have been one of the deciding factors in his defeat. If anything, I would believe Democrats to shutter at the thought that a very hardline conservative further from Cantor receive a seat...but.....it may be a blessing at the same time nonetheless (i.e. Cognitive Dissonance)

    What is more is that Cantor actually had his district gerrymandered in such a way so that Democrats are very very unlikely to get a seat there. What Cantor did not calculate is the other side of a more menacing group of people towards his career.

    In either case, they just downed one of their most powerful representatives in the nation.

  9. #739
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera
    What would you estimate the odds of the nobody college professor getting elected in November?
    Since it's a gerrymandered district, it's probably a very safe district and any Republican would win easily. Also, Mr. Brat is very well known in his district according to a radio show caller who voted in this election.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera
    I've been urging that the Republican Party need to put their differences aside & unite in order to defeat the Democratic Party.
    Getting rid of an establishment rino is almost as sweet as defeating a Democrat. These weasels ran up the debt and passed another entitlement program during the Bush administration and they actually bashed Ted Cruz when he spoke out against Obamacare. I would love to see more rinos like Peter King primaried out.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  10. #740
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yep, that's what I was looking for. I guess it's possible some Democrats skewed the results a little bit, making the margin of victory a little larger than it would have been otherwise, but the idea that a Democratic conspiracy is responsible for Cantor's loss is bunk.
    One party voting in the other's primary isn't anything new but since the democrats have no positive issues to campaign upon I was expecting them to flood the polls to affect which opposing candidate they'd face in November.
    The root of my anxiousness is due to my urging that Conservative Republicans, Tea Party Republicans & libertarians should temporarily unite in order to defeat the Liberal Democrats but I'm wasting my breath upon deaf ears.
    IMHO the 2014 & 2016 elections are the last chances of saving the US from economic collapse & civil war within the next decade.

Similar Threads

  1. Former Republican staffer's extremely scathing critique of the Republican party.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
  2. The Future of Microprocessors
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 04:23 AM
  3. Unity within the upper echelons of the Republican Party begins to crack.
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
  4. The Death of the Republican Party, Stardate Unknown
    By Wind Up Rex in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  5. Your Predictions About the Future of Psychotherapy
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO