User Tag List

First 21616970717273 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Don't you work with solar power or in electrics or some such?

You're not personally invested in this at all are you?

And the state dept. has some really smart folks working there.

Who else is as confident as you are in the rate of development of solar technology?

If so I'd really like to hear what they think.
    I'm an electrical engineer, but I don't work in solar or "electrics". So no, I'm not personally invested.

Here is a good article on the subject. Their projections are more optimistic than my own, but mine are tempered by the natural gas boom. I think that'll hold off solar for a while, but only for a while.

If you google something like "pv cheaper than coal" you'll find some claims that solar is cheaper than coal right now or in the very near future, but those calculations include things like the "cost of CO2" and increased health care costs due to pollution from coal plants. Those do have real costs, but I'm not confident in anyone's ability to actually estimate those costs. Couple that with the sources of those articles generally being pro-renewable energy sites and I think they're being premature. However, the Scientific American projections are legit. Solar is decreasing in price, exponentially.

I don't know what you mean by "stole this thread". I didn't think any threads were owned, outside of the personal blogs.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm an electrical engineer, but I don't work in solar or "electrics".
    What cute quotes you have. So you do work with electronic systems generally.

Therefore it is not unreasonable to make the leap that given your profession, you would be more personally invested in PV tech.

I don't know what you mean by "stole this thread". I didn't think any threads were owned, outside of the personal blogs.
    You know exactly what I fucking mean. You created a thread to shit on the GOP and I took it over and have used as a vehicle to chronicle the rehabilitation of the Right ever since Rand Paul's drone filibuster which was the start of the turn around for us.

You hoped this thread would be one thing, and I have commandeered it for a cross purpose.

And as far as the Natural Gas boom is concerned, it's being projected that Natural gas production will grow 56% between 2012 and 2040.

Solar will play an increasing role, but the gas boom will stay ahead.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Therefore it is not unreasonable to make the leap that given your profession, you would be more personally invested in PV tech.
    What does that mean, work with electronic systems generally?

You know exactly what I fucking mean. You created a thread to shit on the GOP and I took it over and have used as a vehicle to chronicle the rehabilitation of the Right ever since Rand Paul's drone filibuster which was the start of the turn around for us.

You hoped this thread would be one thing, and I have commandeered it for a cross purpose.
    I definitely have no problem shitting on the GOP, but you're vastly overestimating my intentions for this thread. And you're way too invested in partisanship. The GOP is your team. You root for them like I root for the St. Louis Cardinals.

And as far as the Natural Gas boom is concerned, it's being projected that Natural gas production will grow 56% between 2012 and 2040.

Solar will play an increasing role, but the gas boom will stay ahead.
    A 56% increase in production does not equal a 56% reduction in price. And even if natural gas dropped in price by 56%, it still wouldn't keep up with solar long term. At best it would delay the inevitable. There is a finite amount of natural gas. Long term, solar is going to end up being many, many, many times cheaper than fossil fuels when it comes to energy generation. The only question is when. Did you even read the Scientific American article I linked? It's a good article, information dense.

As for energy storage, batteries are still a long way off, but flywheels may become viable on a residential scale sooner. On power plant scales, there are a lot more options for energy storage than those two.

The following flywheel design has some promise. If you ever want to live off grid and maintain a 21st century lifestyle, you'll need something like this.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ywheel-design/

http://velkess.com/

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There's a worldwide conspiracy of electricians?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's a worldwide conspiracy of electricians?
    I'm an electrical engineer, not an electrician. That's like confusing civil engineers and plumbers.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm an electrical engineer, not an electrician. That's like confusing civil engineers and plumbers.
    Oh, yes, I see.

...So you are part of a conspiracy then? I mean, unlike the electricians.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'll put money on nat. gas staying ahead of pv until our next tier of energy production arrives.

Whether that be widespread adoption of nuclear or something else. I don't see PV beyond widespread adoption of roof panels in building ordinances.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Solar isn't exactly the manliest energy source. Fossil fuels and nuclear are much, much manlier.

I think this is a site you might enjoy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This was just too delicious to pass up from Politico:

An excerpt...

Colorado 2016 poll: Rand Paul beats Hillary Clinton

Sen. Rand Paul appears to be the man to beat in Colorado in 2016, a new poll says.

Colorado voters would favor the Kentucky Republican over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by 48 percent to 43 percent in a potential 2016 presidential race, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll.

Paul also has a higher favorability rating than the other three possible Republican presidential contenders listed in the poll — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Paul’s favorability ranking is 41 percent and his unfavorability ranking is 30 percent. Huckabee has a favorability rating of 37 percent and an unfavorability ranking of 30 percent. The other two GOP candidates both have higher unfavorability than favorability rankings.

For her part, Clinton scores 48 percent in favorability and 47 percent in unfavorability with respondents.

The poll comes as speculation is rising about the 2016 GOP presidential field and provides insight into a state that was crucial in the 2012 election.

The poll might also shed some light on where Paul could outflank his GOP counterparts — among young voters. While Clinton leads Bush by 21 points and Huckabee by 11 points among 18-to 29-year-olds, Paul matched the former secretary of state in the age group, with both scoring 43 percent.

Paul also had a strong edge against Clinton among respondents who identify as independent voters. 48 percent of independent voters favored Paul, while just 37 perfect favored Clinton.

I think the GOP would be more intriguing if they told the Christian right to fuck off.