User Tag List

First 1656646566676876 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ to expound, under Senator Lee's proposal, the 15% tax bracket would go all the way up to $87,850. The 35% bracket would cover everything over that.

MBTI
    INTP

It sounds appealing at first glance (and we certainly want to do what we can to avoid the low fertility loops that are going to harshly impact most developed countries over the next 20 years*, a dynamic that the high costs of raising children in post-industrial economies contributes to), I'll check it out further when I have the time.

*Most of Pacific Rim Asia and Central, Southern, and Eastern Europe are sooooo fucked....there has been a slight uptick in Total Fertility Rates in most developed countries recently, but they are still so low, and have been so for so long, that I don't think they can recover in time to avoid national ruination that will last decades, assuming an elderly voting base will even allow the reforms necessary for eventual recovery).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    It sounds appealing at first glance (and we certainly want to do what we can to avoid the low fertility loops that are going to harshly impact most developed countries over the next 20 years*, a dynamic that the high costs of raising children in post-industrial economies contributes to), I'll check it out further when I have the time.

*Most of Pacific Rim Asia and Central, Southern, and Eastern Europe are sooooo fucked....there has been a slight uptick in Total Fertility Rates in most developed countries recently, but they are still so low, and have been so for so long, that I don't think they can recover in time to avoid national ruination that will last decades, assuming an elderly voting base will even allow the reforms necessary for eventual recovery).
    Yea there have been rumblings abt replacement levels of reproduction in 1st world countries going around.

Last I heard our levels of immigration might offset it a little bit. The problem is disconcerting to say the least though. Although basing ones economic model on population growth is worrisome as there are only so many ppl a given area of land can support.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know it's early, but things are not looking good. As I suspected, many conservatives are claiming the reason they lost this election is because they weren't conservative enough, while others (the few reasonable Republicans who are left) are claiming the opposite. This is going to be an interesting story to watch develop. I personally hope the religious nuts and the xenophobes break off to form another party, leaving the Republican with just the moderates. I think a move like that would actually help bring a lot of people who have left the party over the last decade or so back. But I'm not crossing my fingers. Power is seductive and the extremists still have a lot of power at the state level (30 governors).
    Republicans still haven't sorted this mess out. Many still believe they lost the budget/debt ceiling fight because they weren't conservative enough. I never understood how threatening to not pay your bills was fiscally responsible, but whatever. Republican ideology stopped making sense to me a long time ago.

I'll be interested to see how many Tea Partiers lose their seats to moderate Republicans now that Wall Street has realized how retarded the Tea Party is.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Republicans still haven't sorted this mess out. Many still believe they lost the budget/debt ceiling fight because they weren't conservative enough. I never understood how threatening to not pay your bills was fiscally responsible, but whatever. Republican ideology stopped making sense to me a long time ago.

I'll be interested to see how many Tea Partiers lose their seats to moderate Republicans now that Wall Street has realized how retarded the Tea Party is.
    I'll just wait and let time, other events (namely the troubled ACA rollout), and the public's notoriously short memory take care of it.

In other news Krauthammer had a great turn on the Daily Show last night.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'll just wait and let time, other events (namely the troubled ACA rollout), and the public's notoriously short memory take care of it.
    Glad to see you counting on the American peoples' ability to remember failures.

In other news Krauthammer had a great turn on the Daily Show last night.

Did you watch the extended interview by chance?

I will give old Chuck credit for representing himself better than most people who call themselves conservatives and appear on that show, but Jon Stewart more than held his own. And I want to say something to Krauthammer that Jon didn't.

Krauthammer said the main argument is that USA's current enormous debt simply means that it is not reasonable at this time to add another entitlement like universal health care that will cost more money when we can't afford it. Well I have good news. If didn't implement ACA, but rather, a single payer system that also has either the government or a determined summit between insurance companies bargain fixed prices for health care, we would wind up spending significantly less money than we currently do, so if the problem is the federal debt, then it should be an imperative that we implement such a system.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Christie's role in the future of the party is now in some considerable doubt.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...08331794186904

I think media will eventually enable him to rebound from this and he'll be a significant player through the early debates. Hopefully he'll get crushed in Iowa and not be able to rebound in New Hampshire.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post

I think media will eventually enable him to rebound from this and he'll be a significant player through the early debates. Hopefully he'll get crushed in Iowa and not be able to rebound in New Hampshire.
    This will end up being less of an issue for Christie than Benghazi has been for Clinton.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Boychuk
    Chris Christie hasn’t saved New Jersey. So why do so many establishment Republicans think he can save their embattled and beleaguered party three years before the next presidential election?

Wishful thinking, that’s why.

Christie cruised to re-election victory in the Garden State on Nov. 5, crushing his Democratic opponent with more than 60 percent of the vote in a solidly blue state. All of a sudden, people who really ought to know better are touting the loud-mouthed governor as a top-tier candidate for the GOP nomination for president in 2016.

Never mind that Christie isn’t much of a conservative. He has no ideology to speak of. For a certain class of Republican donor – rich, finance-oriented, wholly divorced from social issues – he’s the anti-tea-party candidate, interested more in “getting things done” than in staking out principled positions on, say, the national debt or same-sex marriage.

Sure, Christie infuriates many of the right people – New Jersey’s powerful public employee unions especially. But as governor, his style and record resembles Arnold Schwarzenegger’s here in California: a gift for gab, budgets balanced with plenty of accounting gimmicks, and little in the way of policies to bolster the state’s economy and revitalize its horrible business climate.
    http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/17/591...ty-revive.html
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

This will end up being less of an issue for Christie than Benghazi has been for Clinton.
    Been following some of the reporting this morning. Here's my takeaway:

Obviously, from the above post this was my thought, too. Now I'm not so sure as both the left and right are turning on him and the potential for more damaging revelations hangs in the air. If it turns out that he was the redacted sender of the text mocking the school children this is a bigger deal and he would potentially be facing criminal charges and civil litigation. A wrongful death civil case dragging out for the next year or so would be devastating. Btw, I also think it's those issues that will prevent him from just coming clean as it's not just his political reputation at risk.

Best case scenario though his plans to build up to 2016 will be obliterated for the next 6 months or so as he's hunkered down and he'll be rebuilding his momementum. Even as he tries to regain momementum this debacle poses a substantial messaging problem as his number one attribute was supposedly an ability to work across the aisle.