User Tag List

First 646545556575866 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't "seem". I do.

Obama's spending record is relatively modest. This right wing contingent that cries about spending is coming from people who are supported by the likes of the Birchers, Von Mises, Kochs, and Cato institute. These are groups that Republicans once distanced themselves from. They cry foul at the idea of almost any spending, including perennially popular entitlements like the GI Bill, Medicare, and SS. Anything shy of "getting us back to pre New Deal America" is "too much spending". They're even happy about the Sequester. "This will be the first significant Tea Party victory in that we got what we set out to do in changing Washington.” (Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas). So yeah, I blame them.
    The Cato institute, should not in any circumstance be lumped in with the Birchers.

Libertarianism, or aspects of it, I believe will provide part of the platform for the reformed Republican party in the 21t century.

Many moderate Republican have a libertarian bent that allows them a willingness to cut defense spending.

You paint with far to broad a brush, and lump libertarians in with the tea party, the koch bro's.

I'm happy with the sequester and you should be too.

That is unless your drinking the doomsday kool aid the administration is peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    That is unless your drinking the doomsday kool aid the administration is peddling.
    It's not that. Actually, it hits close to home. A previous workplace in civil service (and one where a family member works) gets affected by these things. There's a down to earth story for every cut. I'll agree that the apocalyptic rhetoric is silly, but this way of budgeting is unnecessary. And not something to call a "victory".

Maybe I just like "tweaking" and refining things in general.

Oh, before you point out the irony, I understand a Libertarian can be quite the efficiency expert too. I guess all things are good in moderation.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I understand that there are real world consequences to cutting the budget.

What I'm arguing is that we don't need such a high level of public sector employment, especially with such unreasonably high rates of compensation and benefits, in the first place.

Many of these jobs, and the bureaucracies in which they are encased, aren't an efficient allocation of tax payer funds, and more importantly don't really accomplish what the agency set out to in the first place.

Certainly there are valuable contributions to society from the public sector, but the level of compensation and benefits combined with endlessly expanding operating budgets for the agencies represent a massive drag on the tax paying public, and an inefficient use of human capital.

Sniffles

Hey @DiscoBiscuit, thought this would interest you and be relevant to this thread, from the Wall Street Journal:

Republicans and Their Faulty Moral Arithmetic.

IMO, this would help demonstrate a potential role social conservatism could play in the GOP's platform; for example how the promotion of strong families and communities can be an alternative way of helping the poor than what the Democrats propose in that field. Strong families and communities tend to look after one another, under the teaching of "love thy neighbor"(to use a religious foundation here).

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Hey @DiscoBiscuit, thought this would interest you and be relevant to this thread, from the Wall Street Journal:

Republicans and Their Faulty Moral Arithmetic.

IMO, this would help demonstrate a potential role social conservatism could play in the GOP's platform; for example how the promotion of strong families and communities can be an alternative way of helping the poor than what the Democrats propose in that field. Strong families and communities tend to look after one another, under the teaching of "love thy neighbor"(to use a religious foundation here).
    You'll find more leftists who balance both ideas (like Liberation Theology, Distributism, and Christian humanism through the ages).

Sniffles

You'll find more leftists who balance both ideas (like Liberation Theology, Distributism, and Christian humanism through the ages).
    Liberation Theology is the only example you give that can conclusively be seen as "Leftist" in character. Distributists are a mixed bag of sorts if one wishes to impose a "left/right" label on them, it's basically an electric mix of both Left and Right. Christian Humanism is largely pre-political, but many of its most prominent advocates in recent times have been conservatives, particularly T.S. Elliot to give possibly the most prominent example. Christian Humanism is very deeply tied to Cultural Conservatism.

MBTI
    INTP

this way of budgeting is unnecessary.
    Under the current administration, its the only way real cuts are going to be made....the relevant question is whether the Sequester is less bad than the status quo, not whether its better to prioritize where the cuts are to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Liberation Theology is the only example you give that can conclusively be seen as "Leftist" in character. Distributists are a mixed bag of sorts if one wishes to impose a "left/right" label on them, it's basically an electric mix of both Left and Right. Christian Humanism is largely pre-political, but many of its most prominent advocates in recent times have been conservatives, particularly T.S. Elliot to give possibly the most prominent example. Christian Humanism is very deeply tied to Cultural Conservatism.
    I don't know much about Eliot actually (besides the name). I think when push comes to shove, distributism is left wing. Even if they themselves don't want the label, to be against laisse faire economics would be labeled left wing by their opponents. As for fiscal conservatism, I honestly and truly think it has more in common with the mock "Church of Satan" than anything socially conservative (if anything, because the common thread between the two is Ayn Rand). I don't know how any of them manage to juggle the two in their head. Fiscal conservatism is self interest, patrician, and rugged individualism. The man-child who hordes all the toys and shuts the other kids out. It's Lavey's wet dream. Not the Church's.